Dog DNA Test - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here.
Lol, I meant like just random breeds of dogs coming back. Haha, not like the test coming back with different types of animals. LOL, there would be something seriously wrong!

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

As Rowdy dogs said, they often test animals to prove who the parents are. Especially in the bully breeds, often the pups are dna tested to prove parentage, mom and dad really are the parents of that puppy. But it is not at all testing the breed of the dogs, just proving parentage.
I have almost zero (you just gotta have a little though lol) faith in breed dna testing, but I'd love to have the money to blow just to get that good laugh. I would test my supposedly border collie/rottweiler/labrador and my german shepherd, whose parents, grandparents, great grandparents and beyond I have knows since puppies and grew up with. I'd love to see those dna results haha.
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With Spirit she came back a combination of Saluki, Scottish Terrier, Border Collie, Basset Hound, GSD and a couple others I don't recall. She is a 40 pound Sheltie looking mixed breed, but Sheltie never showed up!

www.SpiritedShepherds.com
IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post
Lol, I meant like just random breeds of dogs coming back. Haha, not like the test coming back with different types of animals. LOL, there would be something seriously wrong!
LOL I didn't think you meant other species! I was just a little confused because the specific types of testing I said were valid (verifying parentage and testing for genetic disease) had nothing at all to do with breeds, so there is no way for those tests to "come back" with any mix of breeds. Basically, my point was that so-called breed markers are mostly a bunch of BS at this point, but that genetic testing does have other valid uses.

I was thinking you might have misunderstood what I was saying about the Arabians, where it's nothing about any specific Arabian breed markers, but rather a verification that the horse is in fact the offspring of two registered Arabians. At this point, those registered Arabians may also be DNA-verified offspring of two other Arabians, or they may just be DNA-typed. Basically, when the program was adopted, registered breeding horses had DNA samples taken but they were known to be purebred Arabians because...well, they were known to be purebred Arabians. It has nothing to do with the DNA identifying them as such, just standard record keeping.*

Either that, or that you might have misunderstood the genetic disease thing, but the thing is that most genetic diseases in dogs aren't specific to one breed. So multiple breeds could have the genes for a given disease like hip/elbow dysplasia, degenerative myelopathy, etc. Actually, this is one area where dog breeding seems to diverge from horse breeding (which is where my experience lies, in case you can't tell by my equine examples ), because in horses many genetic diseases are quite breed-specific (for example, SCID in Arabians, HERDA and HYPP in Quarter Horses). In dogs, you see many of the same diseases across several breeds. I'm going to have to look into why that is, because it's interesting and I just realized it (and it's also very possible that I'm missing something here). And while breed-specific genetic diseases might give you a clue about the breeds involved (for example, if a horse has HERDA or HYPP, he's almost certainly got at least some Quarter Horse in him), it can't say for sure what breed(s) the horse comes from. If he's HYPP N/H (in other words, got it from one parent, didn't from the other), all that tells you is that one parent probably had some Quarter Horse in him/her somewhere. It could range to a purebred Quarter Horse whose other parent just came from lines that didn't have HYPP or maybe did but the parent was lucky enough to not inherit it, to a horse with just a bit of Quarter Horse blood but whose QH parent was unlucky enough to inherit HYPP and pass it on to the foal. Either way, you'd get an N/H result. And there are plenty of N/N horses, so the absence of HYPP doesn't prove anything, either.

Anyway, a huge oversimplification, various genetic diseases/inheritances work differently (genetics is very complex), etc. but it hopefully gives an idea of why you can't really identify breeds through DNA testing.

*Incidentally, there was a scandal not too long ago but pre-DNA-testing where a non-Arabian stallion sired a lot of successful and supposedly purebred Arabians because of fraud on the part of the stallion owners and trainers. While the fraud was discovered and all the offspring lost their registration, in theory that could have happened in other instances and not been detected. In that case, the DNA test would not reveal anything, because it would still just show that the foal is the offspring of those 2 parents. If one of those parents had, say, a Saddlebred parent prior to DNA testing, no one would know and there would be no way to prove it. However, DNA testing does help prevent another scandal of that sort, because it would be nearly impossible to fake (basically, you'd have to plan the scandal from the moment you registered the young foal, since DNA samples are required with registration...and with the difficulty of predicting a superstar stallion, it's not really practical), and if it was pulled off, it would be very easy to prove.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 12-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

So apparently I take too long to edit late at night... In my paragraph about genetic disease, the last sentence was meant to read, "And there are plenty of purebred N/N Quarter Horses, so the absence of HYPP doesn't prove anything, either." (changes in italics)

Hope that makes more sense.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bumping this old thread.

Has anyone had any more recent results? I am thinking of getting a DNA test for High Jinks. I've had enough dog people tell me they see no Malinois at all in him (which is interesting because I get quite a few NON-dog people ask me if he's a "Belgian" LOL!)

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 05-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I recently had a woman bring me what looked like a Labradoodle. She'd had the DNA test done and it came back Poodle, GSD, Irish Wolfhound, Golden Retriever, and some kind of Terrier.

She was convinced the test was accurate and even told me how the dog's physical and behavioral traits could be traced to each breed. "That's the Terrier in him", she'd say when I remarked about the coarse wiry hairs in his coat, and "that's the Retriever in him" when I talked about the soft cottony hairs in his coat.

Here's the dog... his matting was so extensive that I had to peel it off little by little with the clippers, and it came off in one big piece. The owner was clueless about that, too.

That must be the Komondor in him
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Bumping this old thread.

Has anyone had any more recent results? I am thinking of getting a DNA test for High Jinks. I've had enough dog people tell me they see no Malinois at all in him (which is interesting because I get quite a few NON-dog people ask me if he's a "Belgian" LOL!)
Belgian Shepherds, German Shepherds and Dutch Shepherds are all closely related in their origin. It might be impossible to truly differentiate those breeds with DNA.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
Belgian Shepherds, German Shepherds and Dutch Shepherds are all closely related in their origin. It might be impossible to truly differentiate those breeds with DNA.
Oh- good point! I didn't consider that. I just checked Wisdom Panel and it does list all the Belgians independent of GSDs. http://www.wisdompanel.com/breed_cou...eeds_detected/

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

I want to try with Indy but don't have $80
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.