German Shepherds Forum banner

Could my GSD be mixed?

9K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  lkellen 
#1 ·
We adopted Remington at 6 weeks old from The Humane Society of North Texas. She was from a "seized home" so I'm not sure if it was a puppy mill/backyard breeding or whatnot. The shelter said she is mixed with an Alaskan Malamute and that the mom weighed about 120 pounds. They also were not if the mom or dad was the GSD. I have spoken with a LOT of trainers/pet companies who say she looks like a full bred GSD and cannot see the Malamute in her.

Here's some pictures of her growing up..

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks, all.

@huntergreen- she definitely has the personality to match! about 10x the personality outside of these pictures.

@chicagocanine- she turned 9 mos today and weighs 55 lbs. I only ask because she has really soft hair and when you brush it up from about mid back-neck, its a LOT of white fur underneath, as well as her tail, completely black on top, but underneath is white and FLUFFY!

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Could just be me but I'd say the dog looks like a WL Kelpie or a mix of it. Do you have a stacking picture of the dog?

Edit/Just read original post: WHAT? Not sure if mom or dad was the GSD? Do they not understand how puppies are born??? The female dog that has the puppies come out of her is the mother! :eek: I see NO Malamute in this dog. I still think the dog is a Kelpie or Kelpie mix.

#12 ·
Hmm...Alright I had to re-read the post a couple times to understand. (Long day lol) I'm not sure how they can say mom was a Malamute (Which I don't see at all) "or" a German Shepherd....Two different breeds, unless you mean mom was mixed and they don't know if the GSD part came from her or a male? Do they just not know who the mother is? Maybe two females kept together with two litters? *confused*

I still stand by my feelings of this dog being a Kelpie/Kelpie mix. The head and eyes are what seem Kelpie-ish to me. They don't look like a normal GSD features to me.

#14 ·
Thank you both!

I'm sorry, what is kelpie! *newbie*

What I meant by the mom/dad thing..- they weren't sure if the Mom or Dad was A GSD.. They didn't see either of them, they were only told that it was for sure a GSD mix, and that the mom was 120+ pounds.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR SO LONG SHE LOOKS LIKE A DOBERMAN!!! Sorry for the caps, it's just you are the first person to agree with me!!!!

What do you mean by stacking picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
Oh and @scarlettsmom she is the most expressive dog I have ever seen!! I have soooo many more pictures of her expressions I want to post, I just don't want to be an annoying dog picture poster :( lol

#16 ·
@chancethegsd ... She came from a "seized" home and we know no circumstances of what that was. They had no extra information besides that, only that the mom was 120+ lbs.

#17 ·
There's no way you can be an annoying dog picture poster. We LOVE pictures around here!! I am a lame dog picture poster. You can pick up the slack for me. :) I think Remy is wonderful and clearly you two are a great pack. :)

#18 ·
@scarlettsmom ... Awesome!! I have so many pictures. I just love my sweetie so much. We have a few problems, but she's so freaking hilarious, I forget about them instantly!! I've never felt the love from a human that I feel from her.

My dad passed away when I was 1, he was in the Vietnam war, and died from a brain tumor from agent orange. I brought remy to his grave site for the first time and she immediately licked his grave and laid down on top.
I may have adopted her in April at 6 weeks (which I adopted her less than a month after I moved into an apt by myself)- but I think my dad just might have sent her to be my BFF. because, she is the most awesome dog I've ever known.

#19 ·
Hmm...Sounds like the pups weren't even with mom when they were taken. So really it's hard to say who the pups came from I'd guess, unless the owner told them. Even German Shepherds (Especially females) aren't nearly 120lb unless someone waaay over guessed the dogs size which is much more possible than the dog actually being 120lb if it's a GSD. And a Kelpie is a type of dog from Australia. They're a ranchers "best kept secret" but actually more popular than many people think. Lots of em in Texas, they make great herding dogs.

Here are some pictures of some young Australian Kelpies. :)

And some adults...

And by "stack" basically just a picture of your dog standing up and looking at it from the side. Their body shape and "stack" is also different from a German Shepherd.

Here's a picture of my boy Chance as an ADULT, next to a 10 month old purebred female German Shepherd.

He was a GSD/Kelpie mix (Face shot link in my signature) but much more Kelpie like in build and personality. He topped out at a whopping 50lb (I think his "fattest" was 53) and 21" tall. Best dog I ever owned and I miss him terribly every single day. He was my heart dog. :wub:

And I agree, we LOVE pictures! :) She's a total cutie, don't be shy to share!

#21 ·
Well she is 55 lbs now... We have also been told her weight/height has been stunted due to her having parvovirus at 7 weeks (a pretty penny on our bank account 10 days after adopting her) ummm let me see some standing pics....

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Chihuahua

Dog breed Dog Canidae Mammal Leash

#23 ·
Actually the tail would be considered a "gay tail" and happens even in purebred GSD's. I don't see Malamute at all though those pictures do make me see more GSD so hard to say.

Also, I highly doubt she's stunted regardless of the parvo. Even for a purebred female GSD, 55lb is acceptable. I've also never seen a dog stunted from parvo or any proof that it does. ;) She also still looks very puppy (I don't think you stated how old she is now) and will more than likely grow some more.

#25 ·
I can definitely see the kelpie in her eyes & nose build. Especially when she was a liiittle puppy.

#26 · (Edited)
I have never seen a GSD with that kind of coloring and eyes... So I would guess she is a mix,but she is super duper cute. Also now that I just saw other pix her tail doesn't look GSD like, and her fur you said its soft, its not suppose to be sof. There is a genetic test you can buy they run like $80..

#27 ·
I have never seen a GSD with that kind of coloring and eyes... So I would guess she is a mix,but she is super duper cute. There is a genetic test you can buy they run like $80..
yes, she's got amazing green/brown eyes, i love em! I have been debating doing that at her vet's office for a while now..

#30 ·
She actually looks like a black and tan working kelpie- but what are the odds of one showing up in a shelter?

Whatever she is, she looks amazing! Are you considering any dog sports?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.