Hard decisions-advice please. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hard decisions-advice please.

Hello Everyone-

I came looking for advice or ideas from other GSD owners. We have a young male GSD who we took in about a year ago. He seems to have been passed around alot and has/had a lot of behavioral issues but we have worked through most of them. He's a really good dog for all he's been through.

There are two problems-One, my youngest daughter has recently been diagnosed as being allergic to dogs (and most other animals) and her father and I agree that medicating her when it is not a life or death matter is out of the question, however, we do love this dog and dont want to get rid of him.

two- we are expecting another "human child" in 2 months. Our house is not very big, and we are all cramped as it is. Our boy is BIG. he's 95 pounds and has the frame to match.

I'm thinking of making him an outside dog to remedy both problems, and to keep from passing him around again. He wants to be outside most of the time anyway. Do any of you guys keep your dogs outside? We have a nice sized yard that is totally secure, and we would get him a high dollar dog house. I figure the yard is better than being cooped up in a kennel all the time, right?

Or would it be better for him to try to find another family?

I just dont know what to do. Advice please?
Gooddog23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is a hard one. How old is your daughter? Is it just allergies or is there asthma as well? Are there breathing issues? How old is your dog? What kind of behavioral issues? There are many dogs that live in kennels and are happy members of the family. IMO, it's really about the time you an spend with him and attention he will be getting while outside. Do you have a room that he could have access to in bad weather? How much time could you still spend with him outside? What about air filters in the house? Grooming him weekly bath and blow dry to get the hair and dander off will help tremendously.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

IME, dogs that have been living as a part of the family will not do well banished to outside.
Also, GSDs are "people dogs" and love to be with their people.
I do not think your dog will do well in this situation.

Can you contact a rescue for assistance in placing him in a new home? Is he altered?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i am not an expert. you are in a tough spot and have a hard choice to make. imho, you need a bit more than just a high dollar dog house. some escape proof fencing and flooring are needed as well. most importantly is the time spent with dog and i am wondering just how much time you will have with an allergic child and a newborn. i commend you for wanting to keep your fur pal but i don"t see this working well for either of you. may you can work with a gsd club, your vet and the local gsd rescue and find another home. i say this not knowing where you live or the climate you have year round, nor do i know your lifestyle and how much time you can really spend with an outside dog. again this is a tough one and i hope others will have a better way to deal with this allowing the best of both worlds, kids and a gsd.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would suggest you contact a rescue organization in your area, and see if you can get him evaluated. If he is adoptable, I would rather see him in a household where he is part of the family, rather than outside by himself.

Having said that, if he is not very adoptable, but seems to enjoy being outdoors, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to make him an outdoor dog. As long as he has adequate shelter and a secure yard, and gets daily attention, I think that might be the best of a bad set of choices.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Both free and hunter have good points. I can't tell you how many calls we get, people "must" give up their dogs because of the dog escaping, digging, barking at all hours, etc.
Those folks had one thing in common. The dog (or dogs) is left outside 25/7 and is bored, getting into things, escaping, and/and barking non-stop.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with Freestep. If he's not a good candidate for adoption (these days it seems people only want dogs that are great with little kids, cats, and other dogs and have been tested around all of them) then I don't see a big issue in making him comfortable outside. I would definitely build a secure run (locking gate and a top) to keep him in when you're not at home. I guess I'm sour on this issue today as I'm helping to *hopefully* find a forever home for a male GSD that has been in TEN different homes/situations and is only four years old. Sometimes what we might think of as the "perfect" home just isn't available and some dogs truly do better when owners make the best of their situation rather than passing the dog back into rescue (which usually means *another* foster home before possibly being adopted to *another* home).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i knew a guy who who took in a gsd. the dog had belonged to his army buddy , they had served in veit nam together. this dog would rip apart anyone but his owner. the choices were clear, put him down or build a kennel outside and let him live out his days in this kennel. the kennel was quit elaborate with sections that could be blocked off so food and water could be given as well as cleaning the area. the better of the poor choices available.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I dont think he would be very adoptable. He is highly dog aggressive- almost killed my brother in laws american bulldog. Males, females, intact or not-he hates them all. He also hates cats, and will kill other small pets. He is also not friendly with people he does not know. He has been great with our daughter and other kids that have come to the house.

Yes, our daughter also has asthma, which has gotten much worse.

Honestly- I really dont know how much time I'll get to spend with him outside until the new baby is here and we are going through the motions. Obviously I want to spend as much time as I can-but I really dont know.

I'm just afraid that if I give him to someone else, that they could continue to pass him around or he would end up in a shelter, and I'm sure he would be put down because of the dog aggressiveness and I wouldnt be able to do anything about it.

Last edited by Gooddog23; 12-04-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Gooddog23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How much time can your husband spend with him? Are air filters and grooming an option?

I completely understand. My daughter has asthma as well. I will say that with asthma she should be on a controller medicine because that can certainly be a matter of life or death. I've sat next to my daughter 3 times in the ICU. Singular is a mild medicine that works well as an asthma controller for children and also as an allergy medicine.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.