Trouble Showing Affection To Your Dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Trouble Showing Affection To Your Dog?

I've heard this before mainly with men and don't really understand it still. Have any of you known someone who has problems being affectionate with their dogs,but takes good care of them in every other way? It's like they will feed the dog and do all the basic stuff,but you will never see them really petting or playing with the dog because 'it's not their personality'. This post may not even make sense.

To me the emotional part is just as important as everything else,but I guess it's harder for some people. I think the dogs certainly appreciate it as well.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i seriously doubt this is a gender based issue.

furthermore one person's affection is another person's overbearing so hard to answer, do you realise some dogs don't enjoy constantly being muled by humans that think they are being affectionatte.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It may not be gender based,but most of the people I have seen do this are men,I'm not saying women don't do it as well. I wasn't really talking about constantly being in your dogs face either.I've heard quite a few people say that they don't really pet their dog because they aren't into the mushy stuff or if they are training,they don't feel comfortable with praise. To me,petting your dog isn't mushy or overbearing.It's not like it's a full body hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i seriously doubt this is a gender based issue.

furthermore one person's affection is another person's overbearing so hard to answer, do you realise some dogs don't enjoy constantly being muled by humans that think they are being affectionatte.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 12-02-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
To me,petting your dog isn't mushy or overbearing.It's not like it's a full body hug.
With Keefer it is!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am affectionate with my dogs but not really in public so I guess people might have the impression that I'm not. Truth is I'm a few minutes late for work almost every day because I will never leave the house without stopping to pet my dog for a few minutes and tell him he's a good dog. Male GSD sitting in my lap right now
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boyfriend was like this with our first two dogs. Then the golden came along and everything changed. You could see the pride in his eyes with that dog. That is his boy and that boy has made that man see what loyalty and love real is. I on the other hand pet them and cuddle with them any time I can. They love it and it helps me relax.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

I've met a lot of people who would think that showing "love" to your dog would make as much sense as showing affection to the lawn mower. It is just the way that they were raised - dogs are animals and they need food, something to get under out of the rain, and a bowl of water.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Men are affectionate they just don't want to show their true feelings to random people.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I know exactly what you mean !!! From what I've seen, it is gender based - and no, I'm not here to slam men or demean them.

I've worked with dogs and their owners for a number of years, and without fail the "gender" that I have to encourage to get playful with their dogs is always the men - or rather, the husbands! They just didn't seem to "get it" ... BUT I will say, once they "got it" man oh man, did they have a blast, and you could just the bond strenthen.

With younger boys ... so not an issue! The only issue I ever had with younger boys was getting them to "calm down / slow down" with their "attention." They wanted to wrestle and be all rough and tumble.

I think a lot of is society, and could also depend on the age of the "man". Society is changing, and thankfully men aren't looked down on anymore for showing their emotions.

My great grandfather would be perceived as very cold as he very seldom spoke to anyone, didn't laugh very often, and was seldom engaged with family members. He did however, know each and every one of us by name, and knew all our birthdays.

His son, my grandfather was similar, but a bit more talkative (as long as there wasn't a hockey game on).

My dad was different, and I credit a lot of it to my mom. My mom is very vivacious, and lives every moment in joy. She passed this on to him (a somewhat watered down version of her!) My parents divorced, but they are still friends.

My dad lives upstairs, I live downstairs. When Kyleigh sees my dad, she's a nut - she LOVES my dad. My dad doesn't get "all down and rough" with her, but he loves to see how happy she is to see him, and he always takes time to say hello to her, play with her for a bit. He never shooes her away, and she gets to leave on "her terms" (i.e. when she's done the greeting!)

My dad's brother, who has had dogs his whole life (and a wife who is an ice queen!) NEVER shows affection to his dog the way my dad does, or "other" people. I asked him one time how come he never played with his dog. He looked at me and said, "I'm not a dog, she can play with other dogs, I am her owner." I thought it was sad.

I think the next generation of kids is going to be a real eye-opener (in so many ways LOL). But I really believe that in the next 20-30 years we are going to see some huge changes in what is "manly / womanly" and I really hope that the "emotionless" man is gone for good!!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm super affectionate! With all my animals. Always have been. In fact, people can't believe how affectionate my cats are. Rocco is a total love bug. He loves the affection and reciprocates. My husband, on the other hand, was never affectionate with any animal until he learned to be from me. Now he is affectionate with Rocco a lot and with the cats a little. I do believe it has to do with gender. Not that it applies to all, but it is what it is. From what I've seen, women are much more affectionate than men over all, even with their own children.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.