GSD's are lazy??? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Mine's lazy if we're not doing anything and I like it. He doesn't pace around, chew furniture or drywall, bark at every passerby. I haven't done much with him this week because we've been busy and he just lies around the house or yard. He does not constantly pester me to do something and he doesn't get destructive or annoying if I don't have time to exercise him for hours or train every single day. But when we *are* doing something he's not lazy or difficult to motivate.
This is exactly how mine is, and I also like it that way.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i often remind people that i purchased a gsd cos i wanted one, not cos i did not know mals existed at that time.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i think i will respectfully give the guy a lesson in the free market economic system that he has been defending for 8 years.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I guess my Stark could be considered "lazy"; he has low energy and low drive, with a medium to high threshold. He would much rather walk around the park and sniff things or lay in the grass while Zefra, who is polar opposite would rather jump and bark at you to throw her ball or interact with you in some way.

Now, if I asked other people if Stark was lazy, who is not use to the breed - they would more than likely answer, "no, he's not lazy!".

It's all relative.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

MWD trainers/handlers are probably use to seeing the high drive kenneled when not working mal/dutch pocket rocket. So they do see the GSD as being lower key.
I bet he'll be the one quitting when working the GSD...they can be a bit more burdensome to carry or fight on a sleeve or suit than those smaller k9's.
I was at a KNPV seminar recently and the decoy wanted the big dogs to work first...he knew that he'd be gassed working them at the end. And the sessions were much shorter when working them vs the dutch/mals. Had nothing to do with laziness, but the burden of working a larger structure.
That said, I think a Mal/Dutch would go for longer than a GSD as far as not tiring. They do have stamina
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I guess when I think of "lazy" I think of a dog like Zoey who lays around 90% of the day, every day. Who doesn't EVER have to have training or exercise to be stable and happy. I don't do obedience training with her and she's just fine with that and well behaved. I don't take her for walks except the rare occasion she follows Gretchen and I off leash around our land nor do I do any other sort of exercise with her and she's just fine with that and not in any way hyperactive or destructive due to her "lack of exercise". Can't say I've ever met even what I'd consider a low maintenance GSD who is like this. Her age has little to do with it too, she's always been a fairly easy dog to have around who has spent most of her life in a house. Even the calmest dogs with off switches that I've known would go crazy living in the house 24/7 365/year with it's main "exercise" literally being going outside to potty and then coming right back in.

Even if German Shepherds are easier than Mals, I still wouldn't call them lazy. I don't consider a well balanced dog who is willing and can do though still has an off switch as "lazy". JMO I suppose.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it is the general concensous amount the Mal crowd that GSDs are big, slow, low drive and generally boring.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

If he thinks GSDs are lazy, he's more than welcome to borrow Kyleigh for a couple of days ... she'll teach him the truth!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Mine's lazy if we're not doing anything and I like it. He doesn't pace around, chew furniture or drywall, bark at every passerby. I haven't done much with him this week because we've been busy and he just lies around the house or yard. He does not constantly pester me to do something and he doesn't get destructive or annoying if I don't have time to exercise him for hours or train every single day. But when we *are* doing something he's not lazy or difficult to motivate.
That is exactly how my Stella is and I like it that way.
SummerwoodSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.