German Shepherds Forum banner

Tried and True Odor Get Out!!!

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
I didn't know where to post this and I thought this was my best chance.

Okay! So, four days ago Bronco had a GINORMOUS accident next to my bed at two in the morning JUST as she was telling me she needed to go out. I have tried everything to get that smell out of the carpet!! We called in a professional carpet cleaner, spent 157 dollars on their special stuff, I tried that Woolite Oxy-Pet stuff, Vinegar, BLEACH! but I still lay down to go to bed and I have a nauseating night of that awful smell!! I actually crawled into bed with my son last night because I couldn't handle it. You guys have any tried and true things you have done to get that smell out!? I will try anything! Even if it's heaping stuff on stuff to mask it at least!

Thanks guys! :D

#2 ·
Simple Solution works great...it even takes blood out of materials. I also have used Pawsitively Clean™ by Bissell® Dang! Pet Stain & Odor Remover with really good results. Both smell really good and worked for me.

#5 ·
I usually always have a big bottle in the house and I ran out after a long time, so I went to get some and they changed the color of the bottle..I was in freak out mode because I didn't know they changed it. The nice people in the store showed me where it was, I was scared for a minute. :)

#6 ·
That's a shame. It probably soaked down clear into the lining. Keep reapplying the stain & odor removers. Also fresh or even used fabric softner sheets placed on top may help. An iconic air freshner can help. You can get the kind that plug in. Also there are odor crystals (non toxic volanic crystals) that come in a bag that is hung next to the area- I have used them in my basement where my cat was sick on the carpet and near the litter box - they do work. I got them from Foster & Smith. Also, drops of your favorite perfume on your pillow might help - or lavendar oil which is also soothing. If you can keep any windows open and have fans to circulate the air for sometime during the day or night will also help.

#8 ·
I myself like Petastic. It is the original Nature's Miracle recipe; another company bought the Nature's Miracle name, then changed the formula.

Petastic solution comes in a spray and a gallon size refill, and you use it straight. It does work, but takes a while, and you may have to re-apply it to the area several times. I soak the area, let it sit and dry, soak it again, let it dry, then do the sniff test, and repeat if needed.

They also make a laundry detergent which I LOVE. I get peed on regularly at the grooming shop, and the Petastic laundry detergent gets the odor out with one washing.

#9 · (Edited)
I tried Simple Solution on some pee areas and didn't like it. It stopped showing up on my blacklight but I could still smell the area. I'm a fan of Odoban! Nothing removes odors like that stuff does IMO. We used it in one of the kennels I worked for a couple years back and we always got compliments on how wonderful our place smelled even when we'd have a good 100+ dogs and 30+ cats boarded. I started using it in my home because Zoey had some urinary problems at the time and nothing was working to get them out of our carpet. It worked like a charm and I used it through Gretchen's puppy-hood too with success. Even though my dogs don't have accidents anymore I still love to spray it over my carpet and furniture for a nice smelling house. I also have a steam cleaner for the tile and laminate areas of the house and spray the floors down with Odoban prior to using my steamer for a nice smell too. :D Can also be used in carpet shampooers too. Lol!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/OdoBan-Odor-Eliminator-Gallon-Concentrate/dp/B000ZOQ9HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354491864&sr=8-1&keywords=odoban[/ame]

Here is a pretty good price on bulk Odoban. It's like $28 for a gallon of concentrate + an already diluted 24oz spray bottle to reuse. (Includes shipping price) The 1 gallon bottle will make up to 32 gallons of cleaner so well worth the price IMO since it last sooo long!

#10 ·
Simple Solution, and be generous with it! Took urine stain and odor out of my sofa and my carpet more than once. I have a bottle in the cupboard at all times.

#12 ·
Most likely it got down through the carpet and into the pad underneath and the pad itself may still be wet. That is why the smell isn't going away. Is the carpet tacked down? If not you may be able to pull it up and get to the pad in order to clean it. If it is tacked down you may just have to saturate the area really well, and then blot it well to soak up the cleaning liquid afterwards, or even direct a fan at the area to dry it out. Keep in mind the spot on the pad may have spread beyond where the carpet was wet.
Personally I like Nature's Miracle for cleaning and for odor removal and I have also had very good results with Pure Ayre for odor removal. Again, you will have to try to get the cleaning stuff down to the pad, and then blot up the liquid really well-- you may need to do this several times.
This stuff is supposed to be really good, I only use it for the cat litterboxes but it seems to work quite well:
Pet Stain and Odor Remover Clean+Green

#13 ·
Ugh, I so hope it isn't in the pad!!! Yikes!! I purchased the simple solutions AND Odoban. I was pretty liberal with the Odoban (I really dig the disinfectant), and I'll use the Simple Solutions in the morning.It's a newer home, so I'm scared to un-tack the carpet but we may have to go that rout if this stuff doesn't seem to penetrate it. Wish me luck!!! And thanks all for the input!!!

#14 ·
If that stuff doesn't work, I use a product called "Eliminator" from Health Technology Professional Products: Animal Sanitation Products Eliminator Bacterial Enzyme Odor Digester - Health Technology Professional Products Inc

It's an enzymatic product that's much stronger the the products I've tried from pet supply stores. I found this company an an Animal Wellness in California years ago, and the product worked so well that I reorder it a gallon at a time. This company makes professional-grade products for animal care facilities--they don't market much to consumers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.