German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Things Do Get Better (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/195556-things-do-get-better.html)

llombardo 12-02-2012 04:02 PM

Things Do Get Better

As I was cleaning today I came across a notebook that had a letter that I started to write last January. In that letter I was telling someone that I was going to have to give up Robyn(my GSD). She was 4 months at that time. I couldn't handle her energy or her not being able to be potty trained. I mentioned how she tested my patience daily, she literally drove me nuts. Per my letter I thought she had ADD. I also stated in the letter that it was sad because I felt she had potential. As I was reading this letter, Robyn(now 15 months) was laying next to me chewing her deer antler. She noticed me looking at her, because by now the guilt I felt as I looked at her almost made me cry and she looked at me like she could see clear through to my soul. In this moment I felt so connected to her and felt the need to explain to her how happy I was that I stuck with it. This dog is amazing and more then I could ever ask for. Once we got past the potty training and I started understanding her needs, we were off and running. She has excelled in everything that she does, she is fearless, and confident. I take her with me everywhere with no problems. I actually like walking now and get more exercise because of her. She might very well be my heart dog. I can't imagine my life without her. I can't even explain how I feel about her, but I'm sure lots of you can understand it. I want to thank everyone on here for their opinions and thoughts, because as much as I think I know, its always good to hear what others think. I'm so happy that I stuck it out and even happier how she turned out.

msvette2u 12-02-2012 04:06 PM

LOL the 1st year of our Yaeger's life I thought we'd have to give him up, or give him away, too!

Nikitta 12-02-2012 04:09 PM

I never give my pets up but I have thought of murder as a option. ( Just kidding. I don't murder my pets either. :P)

llombardo 12-02-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvette2u (Post 2645023)
LOL the 1st year of our Yaeger's life I thought we'd have to give him up, or give him away, too!

I feel so guilty...I think I'm taking her shopping, she can have anything in the store she wants:D

msvette2u 12-02-2012 04:11 PM

LOL they didn't know...I'm sure she has no hard feelings ;)

But every gal loves a shopping trip, eh!? :D

llombardo 12-02-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikitta (Post 2645026)
I never give my pets up but I have thought of murder as a option. ( Just kidding. I don't murder my pets either. :P)

I have never given up any of mine either, but this one was a challenge, good thing I like a challenge:) She wore me down, but now that I know what lots of work can do, I'll be ready for my male GSD in the future:)

MaggieRoseLee 12-02-2012 04:12 PM

Good for you for finding the strength and knowledge to make it through the hard times

:thumbup:

llombardo 12-02-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 2645034)
Good for you for finding the strength and knowledge to make it through the hard times

:thumbup:

Everyone on here helped so much. So much reading and research, which I should have done before I got her to begin with. Its a learning process, but lots of thanks to people here. I can only hope others that come here with problems can find a way to see that people just try to help. It can mean the difference between a dog that is enjoyable and one that is a mess.

lzver 12-02-2012 04:23 PM

We've certainly had our moments with Jake that have been challenging, but we are getting help from a behaviourist and working through the issues we have. Jake is with us till death do us part :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

RowdyDogs 12-02-2012 04:41 PM

I'm still considering getting rid of Hector and he's 2.

(not really, I'm just kidding...but I know how you felt when it comes to a difficult dog!)