ALL THOSE "Von" names!!!! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #41 (permalink)

There is no controversy, at least not to me. I show German bred dogs in a German ring where the judges speak German and the critiques are more often than not written and announced in German. To a German person, a German kennel name has no "prestige", lol, it's just another German phrase. Why would anyone *not* give their dog a proper kennel name? If any prestige is attached it is based on the kennel itself, not the word, or the word being German rather than English.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

No controversy here either. Just a clarification on kennel names as regards the rules of showing in breed.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nah.
Sometimes there is controversy on here. This isn't it.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #44 (permalink)

ok cuz I am going to need you guys, for a VERY long time......
Lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliam View Post
LOL!!!! that one just got covered....

I was going to get into contracts/co ownership/neutering....
Co-ownerships are generally done for breeding/training/showing purposes.....no point in a breeder giving away a pet puppy to be neutered/spayed.....

Most responsible breeders sell ALL pups on "limited" registration, ie - no breeding rights, but will open the registration on completion of hip/elbow certification and titles....neuter and spay requirements vary widely...I personally do not REQUIRE these at any particular age, and in fact, do not want the surgeries done before a year old at the earliest for females, and 2 for males.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

2 for males. Good to know.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Co-ownerships are generally done for breeding/training/showing purposes.....no point in a breeder giving away a pet puppy to be neutered/spayed.....

Most responsible breeders sell ALL pups on "limited" registration, ie - no breeding rights, but will open the registration on completion of hip/elbow certification and titles....neuter and spay requirements vary widely...I personally do not REQUIRE these at any particular age, and in fact, do not want the surgeries done before a year old at the earliest for females, and 2 for males.

Lee
I would never breed myself. I don't know enough about it. But I know that some breeders co-own show or sport dogs.
I was wondering about the effect of early neutering in particular on growth changes caused by too early neutering.
My border collies were never neutered. But my contract for Max specifies two years because early neutering causes irregular growth patterns in the long bones, and I wanted to know the extent to which GSD are affected.
Also food. My competition BCs were on Innova Evo. Now they're on Innova Large breed. Do GSD require or do they do better on higher protein during competition, if I get into herding and/or schutzhund.
Puppies - keeping them on low phosphorus/calcium relation foods for weight and growth rate control.....is that applicable for GSD?
Testosterone - does later neutering cause inappropriate situational aggression at maturity?

Those are off top of my head as I sit through a BORING firewall meeting.....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #48 (permalink)

In general I would apply what you are saying about BCs to GSDs as well. Yes be careful about the phosphorus and calcium for young dogs. I use "all life stages" foods but check these things first because a few are still too high for immature dogs. GSDs grow slowly. My male is 4 years old and he matured quite a bit physically from age 3-4 even though he had basically reached his height and weight by 18 months. Competition/show/sport/working people will tell you to wait to neuter the dog, if at all. I don't neuter males unless there's a reason to (namely a retained testicle, but even then I'd wait until maturity). Since you have owned intact BCs clearly you are aware of the risks and concerns and can deal with them. For my male GSD there is no reason to neuter him. Co-owning does not seem popular among sport/work people but more popular among show people. I personally won't do it, I only buy my dogs with full registration and no strings attached and have not had problems getting healthy, good quality dogs from good breeders.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliam View Post
Testosterone - does later neutering cause inappropriate situational aggression at maturity?
You mean, like with a "proud cut" stallion? Yes and no... if he's developed testosterone-fueled habits before neutering, he will likely continue those behaviors as they have become ingrained habits. Testosterone fuels aggression, but aggression is caused by many different things... neutering may or may not have an effect on inappropriate situational aggression. It totally depends on the cause of, and the trigger for, said aggression.

However, I notice dogs that are neutered after maturity have less of an "edge" to them. Their demeanor is a bit less challenging, they tend to have less of an opposition reflex, and are generally more tolerant of things after neutering. Social aggression may be lessened; it seems the neutered dog is not compelled to climb the social ladder quite as intensely as his intact brethren.

There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but I haven't seen a dog get MORE aggressive after neutering, at any age. If anything, I would say the opposite is true.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
In general I would apply what you are saying about BCs to GSDs as well. Yes be careful about the phosphorus and calcium for young dogs. I use "all life stages" foods but check these things first because a few are still too high for immature dogs. GSDs grow slowly. My male is 4 years old and he matured quite a bit physically from age 3-4 even though he had basically reached his height and weight by 18 months. Competition/show/sport/working people will tell you to wait to neuter the dog, if at all. I don't neuter males unless there's a reason to (namely a retained testicle, but even then I'd wait until maturity). Since you have owned intact BCs clearly you are aware of the risks and concerns and can deal with them. For my male GSD there is no reason to neuter him. Co-owning does not seem popular among sport/work people but more popular among show people. I personally won't do it, I only buy my dogs with full registration and no strings attached and have not had problems getting healthy, good quality dogs from good breeders.
Than you!
I should clarify I only have one BC now. However, I have had unneutered males together before with no problems.
Daycare required me to neuter Billy so as my contract for Max specified at two years, I did them both together. Daycare was gracious in allowing me to wait based on my contract.
Before that I had Dru/Billy/Max intact all at the same time up until Dru left me.
Co ownership....I suppose I would have to read the specific contract. It's not necessarily a no unless something in the contract would require me to return the dog, and THAT is a no. My pression is co ownership is most often used when breeding is in the cards????

One last thing.....I'm aware that in some bully breeds there is a change in temperament at sexual maturity where dog on dog aggression can be triggered. Does something similar happen with the GSD?

Thank you so much for your patience at all my noob questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.