ALL THOSE "Von" names!!!! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
I didn't say the fancy names have any higher regard in confirmation. What I said was some people prefer the German names for their GSD. And it does sound fancy in the show ring. I wish people wouldn't get so caught up in names. If you have a German dog, it must have a German-sounding name. Same with the Scottish breeds. Or Irish. Etc... Better to concentrate on the soundness of the animal, IMO.
Actually the Am line dogs in the AKC ring very rarely, if ever, have German kennel names. No offense but it seems you are more caught up in names than those who are actually participating in these activities. In AKC and UKC the judge does not know what dog they are looking at (well if it's a popular dog they will recognize it, but they cannot look at pedigrees or ask the dog's registered name). I've never ever met anyone who concentrated on a dog's name above temperament.... It's not a matter of preference anyway, the breeder chooses the name and registers the dog before it goes to the new home.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Heh. I totally messed up Rocket's registered name....my breeder literally texted me when he saw it, to quote: "Sigh".

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

But Rocket is so awesome, I'm on a one-name basis with him
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

His registered name is super long, but I forgot to add the breeder's kennel name, LOL.

(I know I know, I'm so dumb--what can I say? I was all wrapped up in the moment.)

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 12-04-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Pseudo-swearing, please review board rules
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
I didn't say the fancy names have any higher regard in confirmation. What I said was some people prefer the German names for their GSD. And it does sound fancy in the show ring. I wish people wouldn't get so caught up in names. If you have a German dog, it must have a German-sounding name. Same with the Scottish breeds. Or Irish. Etc... Better to concentrate on the soundness of the animal, IMO.
You don't really hear the names in the show ring

The commentators on TV for Westminster or the Eukanuba shows will use them, and often the call names too in a sort of "name dropping" kind of way.

But at a regular show you simply do not hear the names. You, as a spectator, the judge is not allowed to, can find the armband number of the handler in your show catalog and get the dog's name.

Nothing wrong with recognizing the heritage of a breed by using traditional names from the country of origin

And I have yet to meet a breeder who puts more time, thought, or effort into names than they do their breeding program.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I wish people wouldn't get so caught up in names. If you have a German dog, it must have a German-sounding name. Same with the Scottish breeds. Or Irish. Etc... Better to concentrate on the soundness of the animal, IMO.
It seems to me that you are far more "caught up" in names than anyone else here.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone complain about the tradition of using German names for GSDs, or Irish names for Irish Setters, or Scottish names for Scottish Terriers... etc. I would never have imagined that this was something to get upset about.

Now, the thing that does confuse me a bit is when American showline breeders have SV-style kennel names, or German-bred dogs have American sounding names. Part of how you can determine the bloodline of a dog (without seeing a pedigree) is by the name! I wonder if some of them are deliberately trying to confuse or mislead people.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Guess I'm not too good at putting things into words. Sorry - didn't mean to step on anyone's von nerves. Think we'll re-name ours Fido.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Guess I'm not too good at putting things into words. Sorry - didn't mean to step on anyone's von nerves. Think we'll re-name ours Fido.
No, you were pretty good at saying exactly what you meant:

Quote:
IMO - it's a form of "status" symbol for those wanting "german" breeding for their GSD.

.. means little if what you want is a sound pet.
... Other than "prestige", means nothing if you're looking for a pet or a sound K9.
But maybe you changed your mind and realized the names are actually a tracking and cataloging system, of sorts. Helps you know where your dog came from and what to expect when it comes to health, temperament and physical attributes.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

Changing 'Cookies' name to 'Cookie Von Monsterstein'
Walperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

sorry I didn't mean to cause controversy
Lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.