ALL THOSE "Von" names!!!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Now the name fits a little better

Attached Thumbnails
ALL THOSE "Von" names!!!!-hh.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

very nice pics !
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
x11
Banned

this thread has asked and answered the question that i always wanted answered but always felt too noobish to ask. now i got an answer and did not have to look like a noob in doing so. thanx.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
IMO - it's a form of "status" symbol for those wanting "german" breeding for their GSD. Saw much of a similar thing when I was showing Irish Setters. Lots of Irish-sounding kennel names.

Might mean something in the show ring, means little if what you want is a sound pet. Confirmation showing is political. The more popular-sounding or "legitimate" sounding names gives headway. Other than "prestige", means nothing if you're looking for a pet or a sound K9.

Don't get caught up in names - look for the qualities you specifically need or want.
Are you kidding? They are just words in German, they have a meaning just like any word in English. It's doesn't mean anything other than the meaning of the word: from, of, or of the. There is absolutely no prestige attached to using a prepositional phrase, lol. Trust me no one walks into the show ring and get's a heads up because of the prepositional phrase in their dog's name!

The difference between von/vom depends on the gender of the noun in the prepositional phrase. The words mean the same thing but should be used correctly or you/the breeder looks pretty silly.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Oh, lordy. She already has picked out the name.

I guess you liked the Mr. Mister song in the 80s...
Now it is stuck in my head, thanks! "Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel.."

Mr Mister - Kyrie [HQ] - YouTube

It's actually a little more complicated than that. Each consecutive litter has its puppies names beginning with a letter of the alphabet.
Hans is from the "n" litter, so his registered name had to begin with an "n".
I chose Norden because it means "North" in German, and he came from north of where I live.
Hans is his call name-- what he is called at home.

So he is Norden Hans von Narnia, and quickly growing into such a lofty name, LOL.

It seemed too much at 9 weeks.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I LOVE HIS NAME!!!!

Yes, I LOVED the Mr. Mister song....but having been raised as a Catholic I remember the Kyrie Eleison as I was a child. I'm now Episcopalian (Anglican, really, but Episcopalian here since the Anglican church doesn't exist here, not really) but I have fond memories of the Kyrie.
Also, in Greek, it means "mister" so really, it's either lord or mister.

More than anything I love the sound of the words...kyrie eleison....

Anyhoo, yes, the name has been picked for quite a long time.
Lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Now the name fits a little better

OH WOW love the FACE!!!!!!!!!!! such a beautiful expression!!!! and I love the color, that tan shade. Beautiful!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Most serious breeders have a kennel name that will be included as a part of the registered name of every dog they breed. Many breeders of European lines follow the European naming conventions that correspond to their lines. This is partly a nod to the breeding tradition of the lines they have, and partly to help people distinguish what lines they breed. A dog with an American sounding kennel name is likely American lines, whereas a dog with a German style kennel name is likely German lines.

There is a lot more to it than "status" or some sort of elitest attitude as one poster implied. And while I agree things like conformation showing are political, having a "legitimate sounding" name has nothing to do with it and the idea that names are picked for that reason is totally incorrect.

One valuable tool that kennel names and naming conventions, such as the alphabetical litter letter system used by the Germans and many German line breeders in the US, serves is to make research into the health and accomplishments of bloodlines and relatives easier. This is very helpful both for breeders and for those looking for a pup who wish to research the bloodlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Think the right formatting would be Kyrie von Jurishaus.
No, Haus Juris is correct. Our kennel name is reversed as it is intended to be a play on words, not just a reference to our last name. If only referencing the last name Haus Wild would be correct grammar.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
this thread has asked and answered the question that i always wanted answered but always felt too noobish to ask. now i got an answer and did not have to look like a noob in doing so. thanx.
Oh just follow me around the forum.....I'll be asking LOADS of noob questions!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
x11
Banned

will you be asking anything about the difference between hunt & prey drives anytime soon? :-)
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
will you be asking anything about the difference between hunt & prey drives anytime soon? :-)
Look here:
Civ Prey Drive
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.