GSDs over 100lbs... How many ppl have one? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Sting is 130 lbs. according to the vet's scale at his last visit in Nov. He is very tall. The avator is a his picture at 2 yrs old. His weight has stayed fairly stable at 130. His parents were 85 and 90 lbs. Both OFA good. Out of the litter of 14, he was twice as big as the others. His brother & sister that the breeder kept are around 80 lbs. and not as tall. The breeder warned me that Sting would weigh over a 100 lbs. His size doesn't matter to me (and yes he outweighs me ) what matters is his temperament. Sting is bold, good drive, not fearful, friendly, but formidable when need be. Here is a current photo taken in Sept. He is 6 yrs old. Click to enlarge.
He is beautiful!
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #62 (permalink)

I know the picture quality is not very good. I had to dig around the photo albums.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeGSD View Post

I know the picture quality is not very good. I had to dig around the photo albums.
She's a beautiful dog...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judahsmom View Post
Someone asked about the WGSD and since I have 2, thought I'd speak up. My first, Judah, who is pure breed, is 31.5" at the withers and weighs 85 lbs. He is very tall. He is 28 months and still has some filling out to do. He does not look skinny. My other WGSD is a rescue who also is extremely tall for the standard at 27.5" and female. She only weighs 64 lbs and needs to gain weight. That's difficult because she is skiddish. She has changed a lot since I got her in March but still has room to become more secure. The vet guesstimated her at 2 years old. I have no information on the rescue as far as her parents and their sizes. Judah's dad was 120 lbs. and his mom was 75 lbs. I did not pick either of them because of size. Judah has been in training as my service dog. He detects my fluctuating blood sugars as I am type 1 diabetic.
I really like your cover picture, your dogs look great. I have a wgsd and he weighed 88lbs when i took him to the vet for his annual check up a few months ago, the vet told me that he needed to lose a few pounds especially since we run quite a bit, my other gsd is black and silver (wgsd dad) and he's 80lbs and the vet told me that he's weight was perfect, although he still has some filling up to do, he's barely a year and a half
KanesCash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it's always good to keep them lean, keep any extra weight off their joints. It's also good for health/longevity.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #66 (permalink)

I think because a byb was breeding for size, is how I came about my dog. The story was she spent her first 8 months in a kennel in some farmers backyard (I think he had 3 or 4 female dogs). The guy also had "his" dog which was a large male.

I think Abby just never got big enough for what he wanted and he sold her for 200 bucks with no papers to some hispanic kid who lived in a small apt, with his mom and a bunch of siblings. Well they were moving out of the ghetto and couldn't take her with them.

Anyway long story short, she was only 51 pounds at a year old when I got her, and about 24.5-25 inches tall at the shoulder. Now at almost 3 she has filled out to about 75 pounds (vet scale)....I think she is a perfect size, lol
NoVAGSDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
I wonder how many people use Jackson's supposed weight of 105 lbs. as proof that a giant GSD can be healthy. Because despite his cancer death at 8.5 years of age, Jackson had excellent hips and a cast iron stomach. Up until his collapse and death, he never had a sick moment in his life.

And I wonder how many "super sized" GSDs are no where near as heavy as the people think they are.
Sheilah
This.

I meet folks with GSDs and other large dogs all the time at the dog park. "My dog weighs 95 pounds."

"Yeah. Right. Your dog is standing next to Teddy who weighs in at 63 pounds (ll months old) and your dog does not weigh 50% more than Teddy!"

Well, that's what I think to myself, while I'm hoping that Teddy doesn't get more than about 70 pounds.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #68 (permalink)
Master Member

Abbi at one pint was 103. Shes now 95. Was at the dog park yesterday with a guys whose shep Max was 140
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #69 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB681 View Post
Abbi at one pint was 103. Shes now 95. Was at the dog park yesterday with a guys whose shep Max was 140
Really!!! Was the dog known to be that heavy, or was it a number that was thrown around and just accepted as fact?

Gryff is about 82 lbs - normal weight, but tall and long-bodied for a GSD, over the standard. I often get compliments on him from the general public, but then they throw in a comment like "I used to have a GSD, but a 'real' one, he weighed 120 (or 130 or 140) lbs!)

So I just smile and nod my head, didn't know my GSD was fake!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #70 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Both my girls are over breed standard. Zoey is 87 lbs (vet scale) and looks good where she is. Tuke is 104lbs (vet & work scales), she needs to lose some of this. I've been trying to convince DW to cut down on her breakfast, (I've already reduced dinner) but she thought Tuke looked fine and it wasn't necessary. DW finally agreed after seeing some recent pictures of her. I don't know how her weight issues could be more evident in a photograph vs real life, but oh well, at least were both on board in getting her weight where it should be.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.