GSDs over 100lbs... How many ppl have one? - Page 14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #131 (permalink)

Jerry could probably weigh over 100 pounds and still be a good weight. He's 30-31 inches at the shoulder and big-boned. He's been hovering at 86 pounds for a while now and I'd like to see him at a little over 90. He's still a little bony - you can feel his hip bones and spine and see all his ribs when he's panting and people sometimes say he looks very skinny, but most people are used to fat dogs. He seems to have gained a lot of muscle in the past 5 months and his coat is much shinier. If he stays under 90 pounds, I'll be fine with that. I like him lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #132 (permalink)

Mine is a little over 80 lean lbs at 9 months. His father was 100, & his mother was 70ish.

ChiliD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
IMO you cannot tell from this photo. The dog has his hind legs positioned in such a way that is makes him look "hunched" and therefore chubbier than what he probably is.....and no.....his head IMO does not look small for his body.....even is this dog shed a couple pounds which is all he would need to IF he was a bit over weight he would still be a very large (and beautiful) dog.
I agree with you! You can not tell from the photo.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #134 (permalink)

Default Big Pup

Reno is 18 months old and 105 pounds. He's close to outweighing me & I hope he's done gaining weight. (his sire was 100#)
Attached Thumbnails
GSDs over 100lbs... How many ppl have one?-reno-1-yr.jpg  
Otus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otus View Post
Reno is 18 months old and 105 pounds. He's close to outweighing me & I hope he's done gaining weight. (his sire was 100#)
I like his color... He's a big boy for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #136 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My old dog Zeus, he was 110 lbs. he was not fat nor overweight. He was a tad too tall for for a GSD, he just grew a little bigger than normal GSDs. What killed him was cancer, his hips were fine.

A month just before he died from hemagiosarcoma. He did gain weight because we didn't take him on long walks anymore.

Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
Josie/Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #137 (permalink)

Thanks KaneCash. I enjoyed looking through your pics of your 2. They are both beautiful. you don't say how tall they are but they are soooo cute!
Cuddles GSD mix - 3/6/92 -12/2009
Tiger GSD mix - 3/6/92 - 1997
Judahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #138 (permalink)

I know that this thread is old but what the heck. My dog Jack is a 1.5 y/o male GSD. His sire and dam are both of East German lines, his sire being first gen born in the US and dam was imported. When I weighed him a month ago he was 100.4 lbs. Six months prior to that he was 90 lbs and everyone remarked about how he looked too skinny (he is a tall dog and can fully rest his head on my kitchen table). I am satisfied to keep him between 95 and 105 because he has a clearly defined waist and just a little bit of flesh around the ribs. I now use the rib and birds-eye-view tests (plus weigh-ins every three months) to determine whether or not he needs to lose weight. He gets lots of exercise every day (1.5 hours of jogging/running with no breaks, plus a few hours chasing squirrels in my half-acre back yard) and with basic training he has become the best dog I could ever want.

In my opinion, size does not matter as much as fitness level when determining the greatness of a dog. The AKC requires that GSD males be a max of 85 lbs and many people argue it is because the frame of a larger dog cannot support the weight. However, hip dysplasia among AKC standard dogs is abhorrent. The Schutzhund also requires male GSDs to be no more than 85 lbs but that is because many do not think a large dog can have the same level of endurance as a smaller dog. There is also some flawed thinking in this because one might then think that a jack russell would have greater endurance than a GSD. My point is that consistent physical training of a dog is a much more accurate predictor of future health and performance than the size of a dog's frame.
GSgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #139 (permalink)

Attached are some pictures of Jack:
1.5 y/o male GSD @ 100.4 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
GSDs over 100lbs... How many ppl have one?-wp_000592.jpg   GSDs over 100lbs... How many ppl have one?-wp_000590.jpg   GSDs over 100lbs... How many ppl have one?-wp_000452.jpg  
GSgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #140 (permalink)

Good lookin dog. Looks as if he's gonna be big. He looks similar to my boy...and he's no 85 lbs Shepherd lol.

He's 5 years old and as of his vet check on Jan 3 14, he's 136.5 lbs of meat and muscle. Vet says, which I already knew, he's not one bit overweight. Just a very large Shepherd.

With my better half, so you get an idea of his size.

Wodinaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.