Taking hand in mouth - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
As long as they aren't gnawing on anyone else, I don't think it will lead to anything. IMO, it's an attention getting thing.
That's how I see it ... and I know that it's an attention getting thing ... because she only does it when I'm "ignoring" her.

I was just wondering how many other GSDs or dogs, for that matter, do the same thing
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Why not?
As long as you don't have any other issues with her I wouldn't mind her doing it. It is kinda cute. Lassie did it!!
As long as she doesn't use it randomly but only for good reasons, I don't see a problem. If it hurts when she does it, then I would make a u-turn and ignore her.
WD lets out a high pitch bark when he cannot reach a specific toy he was playing with. I have carefully observed it after giving him that toy but he doesn't take advantage of it; it really is only to get some help once in a while.
I won't give him a toy that I have put away but he has never asked for that either.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
That's how I see it ... and I know that it's an attention getting thing ... because she only does it when I'm "ignoring" her.

I was just wondering how many other GSDs or dogs, for that matter, do the same thing
Three that I know of! lol And I've never had a Collie or Boxer do it so wonder if it's a GSD thing or a drivey dog thing.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think it shows high intelligence. She knows that our hands are useful tools from probably observations she made.
WD also eyes the Chuck It, even though he has never touched it but he knows it is the tool that throws the balls.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
So you see it as a negative?

As I said in my original post, it's not an every day thing, but any stretch of the imagination. It's usually when I've gotten involved in something, and time has gotten away from me. It's like a reminder ... HEY, I'm here ... and you've forgotten something.

Ky's never done any type of bite work, and she's NOT biting ... she's "holding" my hand in her mouth. Honestly, I can slide my hand out of her mouth with no resistence.

And yes, she does get her things when I give them to her, not when she "demands." This is just a behaviour that I see every now and then ... like maybe once a week ...

It's only me that she does it with, no one else ...
i don't let dogs use there mouth for attention getting. thats just me. others here that are very experienced think its ok, so although i am not going to change my mind on this, maybe its not the issue i perceive it to be.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Bear "holds my hand". That's what I call it, but he doesn't do it when he wants something he just does it when he is chilling and is sitting next to us.
He does this with myself and my kids. It's always gentle and never in a demanding manner.
I have never seen a problem with it. I just think it's his way of communicating in a non verbal way.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

I knew a golden/lab mix that would do this. She would also take your hand if you we're petting her then stopped. Never hurt, and I always thought it was cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
balloons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I was wondering about the intelligence element as well.

I have ZERO issues with Kyleigh ... absolutely none. She is a very solid dog, and training has been both a dream and a blast with her. Sure, we had our "moments" as all puppies and owners do, but nothing like I've read on here with some people and the issues they've had. (For this, I thank my lucky stars, and am VERY grateful)

I've had lots of dogs, been around lots of dogs, etc., but have never seen one display the behaviour that she's doing. Of course, I'm not around everyone's dogs 24/7

I've seen the "bark" at the toy b/c it's in a place I can't get it (Ky does that when I throw the ball and it goes under the couch. After a couple of minutes, she'll bark / yip once because she's frustrated that she can't get it LOL), and I've seen the eye contact from "toy" to "me" when a dog wants something.

HMM, maybe she was lassie in a previous life!??
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

We've had rescue dogs that did that type thing, and we tell adopters to discourage mouthing due to the fact if you have company over with a child and the dog was to mouth, the dog could be accused of biting.

Just be cautious about where and when this is taking place, and if you have people over especially who have kids, you may want to advise them about it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i don't let dogs use there mouth for attention getting. thats just me. others here that are very experienced think its ok, so although i am not going to change my mind on this, maybe its not the issue i perceive it to be.

I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong. I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.