German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Adult dog food..help. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/195282-adult-dog-food-help.html)

GusGus 11-28-2012 12:39 PM

Adult dog food..help.

I am new to owning a dog so I have a few questions about food.

1) So my pup (GSD) is 16 months and I wasn't sure at what age I should switch over to adult food. I've heard a lot of different opinions and I would kike to know what age is truly the best to switch.

2) I feed him iams large breed puppy food and I would like to feed him a dog food that is right for him. After reading different things on here, I had no idea there were so many options to choose from. I would like to stick with dry food or maybe a dry/wet or dry/raw mix if that exists? Oh, and I'm not wanting to buy dirt cheap food but I'm not looking to spend 200 bucks a month on food either.

3) I assume there is going to be a lot of opinions on what food to feed my dog, so if you could give me some info on it and maybe a link or some info I can research it/ purchase it.

Thank you guys so much! (:

JohnD 11-28-2012 01:30 PM

It may depend on how much he weighs....If he is bigger you may want to move over to adult food...Or even mix it with his puppy food for a while.

I went with Diamond Naturals Adult Lamb and rice...It gets good ratings and you won\'t go broke paying for it..About $37.00 for a 40lbs bag.

Kyleigh 11-28-2012 01:33 PM

Here you go:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...py-food-s.html

Piper'sgrl 11-28-2012 01:34 PM

Most vets will tell you with large breeds like shepherds to keep them on lrge breed pup food until 12-14 months old. He should be switched over to adult food now. I'de like to add that even the most expensive food wont put you at $200 a month...not even from the vets

kiya 11-28-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piper'sgrl (Post 2641484)
Most vets will tell you with large breeds like shepherds to keep them on lrge breed pup food until 12-14 months old. He should be switched over to adult food now. I'de like to add that even the most expensive food wont put you at $200 a month...not even from the vets

Are you sure about that? I've heard the opposite I stopped giving Lakota puppy food around 6 months old.

Piper'sgrl 11-28-2012 02:18 PM

well you are located in the states..I'm Canadian..I work at a vet clinic and thats what all 3 of our vets tell clients..so yes I'm 100% positive. 6 months old is too young, large breed puppies are still growing at that age, generally they will slow down after 6 months but they are still very much growing..I don't know what vets are saying in the states but you really should be listening to w.e your vet says about when to stop and switch over.

Kyleigh 11-28-2012 02:26 PM

I don't think the country you live in has much to do with what age the pup should be switched foods ...

I'm Canadian, and I wouldn't feed any kibble to my dog ever ...

P.S. Piper's gorgeous!

Piper'sgrl 11-28-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyleigh (Post 2641547)
I don't think the country you live in has much to do with what age the pup should be switched foods ...

I'm Canadian, and I wouldn't feed any kibble to my dog ever ...

P.S. Piper's gorgeous!

No not the country persay but the vet you go to. I've heard different opinions from vets as to when to neuter and spay to in Ontario (some say wait until 11 months, others like where I work, will recommend getting your pup spayed/neutered before 6 months). Just as well with the food they feed, my vets dont recommend feeding raw to any dog (dont want a fight over this), they prefer feeding dry food. Every vet will have a different opinion. Listen to them.

Thank you Kyleigh. :) I love your girl as well!

shepherdmom 11-28-2012 02:35 PM

I know a lot of people don't like it but I used Science Diet lg breed for my shepherds for years with no problems. I usually switched from puppy to adult at about a year. Last year I added a non GSD puppy. He is not considered a large breed so I started doing a little research. I wanted something I could feed everyone.. So I switched to Natures Recipie easy to digest for all ages. My dogs like it and my wallet doesn't hate it too badly. LOL

GatorBytes 11-28-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piper'sgrl (Post 2641548)
No not the country persay but the vet you go to. I've heard different opinions from vets as to when to neuter and spay to in Ontario (some say wait until 11 months, others like where I work, will recommend getting your pup spayed/neutered before 6 months). Just as well with the food they feed, my vets dont recommend feeding raw to any dog (dont want a fight over this), they prefer feeding dry food. Every vet will have a different opinion. Listen to them.

Thank you Kyleigh. :) I love your girl as well!

My vet says feed RAW. Why? Because she goes by the school of nutrition as prevention, where as conventional vets look at kibble as a source of income. Now if vets embrace RAW and sell that in their clinics that would go against the schooling that is supported by purina and hill's and slowly etching into the vet market - iams. Selling food is touch point for vet staff to make suggestions to upsell services. There is no money in healthy pets - but pets need vets, and pets need food - real food, not processed w/rendered fats that oxidize once you open the bag. RAW meat in bulk has to be frozen and you have control of what your pet eats - no kibble is 100% balanced, as each animal has different needs. These needs are not being met and when the animal shows signs of illness, then meds are scripted - not nutrition - makes no sense.