German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   bad things can happen this easy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/195247-bad-things-can-happen-easy.html)

x11 11-27-2012 10:56 PM

bad things can happen this easy

without laying blame or judgment, it wont change a thing now, a nice enough but dog ignorant couple here put their young dog on a leash when they went to work, long story short when they got home the pup had wrapped the leash around his foot several times and cut the circulation.

waiting for the vet phone call to see if the owners will either pay for the amputation or euth. the pup.

the point of this thread is a reminder that unsupervised tethered dogs and loose dogs with collars and badly built fences that dogs can try jump/climb are dangerous, you MAY have been doing this for years without incident - that does not mean it can't happen tommorrow.

well built kennels by far are the safest and most humane way to temporarily house a dog imo.

onyx'girl 11-27-2012 11:01 PM

No tethering or collars on my dogs when unsupervised. I still worry when they aren't supervised!

I hope that puppy recovers and doesn't lose limb or life due to his owners ignorance.

Gharrissc 11-27-2012 11:01 PM

I hope everything works out well for the pup.

x11 11-27-2012 11:10 PM

as i understand at this point the owners will pay for amputation but the vet still thinks there is a chance to avoid that, should know within hours.

it is not a high drive working dog if that is any consulation for the dog. it is a lap dog by breed...thats going to come across as wrong or sumthin??

folks get pet insurance.

huntergreen 11-28-2012 12:18 AM

crate training isn't just keep the dog from ruining the house, but protects them from these type of incidents.

KatsMuse 11-28-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 2641053)
No tethering or collars on my dogs when unsupervised. I still worry when they aren't supervised!

I hope that puppy recovers and doesn't lose limb or life due to his owners ignorance.

Same here. It's really sad. :(

:) Kat

Nickyb 11-28-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x11 (Post 2641058)
as i understand at this point the owners will pay for amputation but the vet still thinks there is a chance to avoid that, should know within hours.

it is not a high drive working dog if that is any consulation for the dog. it is a lap dog by breed...thats going to come across as wrong or sumthin??

folks use some common sense.

Fixed for you ;) Sad to hear there are idiots like this out there.

x11 11-28-2012 04:42 PM

Nickyb there are more unsupervised pets out there either tethered or loose with a collar on or just running loosebehind a fence putting their paws up on the mesh than dogs that aren't - nothing out of the ordinary there - to call all those majority (in my guess) of dog owners idiots with no common sense is a bit of a stretch...just sayin. do you work for a living away from home?

TommyB681 11-28-2012 05:19 PM

thats a shame

gagsd 11-28-2012 05:25 PM

If bad things happen every time we do something stupid our lives would be in ruin.

Luckily, we mostly get away with stupid.... and learn.