German Shepherds Forum banner

The right blow dryer

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
With the wet OR weather and WD being a water and mud loving dog I need to dry him before bringing him indoors. He stays wet too long even after toweling.
What are good blow dryers for dogs with his coat. I am worried that my own blow dryer is way too hot for him. He has the standard coat.
Tips appreciated.

#3 ·
I bathe mine at two different shops - one has the Metro, and it is OK....the other has a K9 Force and it is just a Rolls Royce compared to a Chevy Impala.....

K-9 II Dog Blower-Dryer, 2 Speeds, 2 Temperatures

I thought about buying one and this is definitely the one I would buy...but it is just easier to bathe the dogs at the store....no hair clogging MY bathtub drains!!!!

Lee

#5 ·
I have a Metro I won in a raffle. It's nice but the dryer I use at the local pet store grooming station is about 4 times as powerful. However I think the Metro I won cost under $100 and they have lots of higher models. There is a high pitched whine in the hose which tends to go away pretty quick as friction heats up the hose. My dogs do not mind because they have all been blow dried many times (and the one at the pet store is also louder) but I read a lot of reviews where people gave a negative mark because their dog freaked out.

ETA: I'm pretty sure this is the one that I won, not complaining since I paid $20 in tickets and it's about $100 but I personally would get a much more powerful one.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Force-Steel-Quick-Dryer/dp/B000QS8QRA[/ame]

#9 ·
I believe that the Metro and the K9 dryers do not have a heating element, but the motor does warm up the air as it blows through--you don't need a heating element.

Feet/min is a speed measurement. Cubic feet/min is a volume measurement. For effective force drying, you want the air moving at the highest speed possible, so get the most powerful dryer you can afford. You'll never regret it.

They are LOUD, so use ear protection when you use it!

#10 ·
My consideration for not using a shop vac is the smaller hose with the concentrator is more manageable for me. I can use this frequently and not as likely with the shop vac.

#13 ·
Yep I take mine traveling to shows and stuff, the Metro I have is really small (like smaller than a toaster), don't have room for a shop vac.

#16 ·
I've got the Metro Air Force Commander blow dryer (got it on amazon). A little pricey, but it's very well built and works really well. The first time I used it, the dogs were dry, and I was appalled at all the dander that flew out of their coats. Looked like a dust cloud with my American GSD... When they're wet after a bath, it blows out all the water and excess hair from their coats. One of my better purchases, for sure.

#17 ·
Yep I brought mine to Nikon's breed survey and he wasn't even wet, I used it to blow out his coat and it blew all the clumps of white undercoat out, even better than brushing (it's been so dry, brushing just makes him static). I spritzed a little water on him so it helped fluff him up a bit too.

#18 ·
I need to remember to use mine more. I just took my old laptop in for cleaning (I did not feel comfortable taking it apart like I would a desktop).....wow.......the dirt inside and I know it is from the dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.