German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dogs At Public Events (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/195225-dogs-public-events.html)

Gharrissc 11-27-2012 05:11 PM

Dogs At Public Events

There aren't many places now around here that you can bring your dog to unless it is specifically for dogs. Parks and other areas like that are still dog friendly unless there is a certain even going on.How dog friendly are public events in your area? A lot of people have messed it up around here as far as being able to take your dogs to outdoor concerts and other things like that because they didn't have control of their dog or it shouldn't have been there to begin with.

llombardo 11-27-2012 08:04 PM

They are having more and more pet expos or pet events that dogs are allowed at with proof of vaccinations, 4 ft leashes, and spayed/neutered. Over the summer I went to 4 different ones. The local festivals are free to get in and on public streets or parks and both of them allow dogs. There are dog bakeries and restaurants that have outdoor seating which dogs are allowed too, I have never tried these. Overall the county I live in is pretty dog friendly and so is the town itself. I have not seen one stray dog running where I am and I believe that is a good sign. My sister is always finding dogs where she lives(and a couple have had parvo), the town she lives in is opening up a second animal shelter. I can't complain:)

onyx'girl 11-27-2012 08:40 PM

It is pretty dog friendly in my area(except schools, ball fields, dogs are not allowed) Most festivals don't have a dog 'ban'.
There are several dog parks and fundraisers. I don't do those as I'm usually training during the fundraisers(always on a Saturday!) and won't do the dog parks. A restaurant has a monthy yappy hour, but that is probably for the foo foos. I doubt my big GSD's would be welcome...just picturing that makes me laugh!
I'd rather spend my time either training or possibly attending a festival that has a few dog events included.
The Ultimate air dogs are always a draw, so many of the festivals will host them, then dogs are a given, which also brings the canine vendors and local rescues out.
I won't go anywhere that asks for vac's or sp/neuter proof.

llombardo 11-27-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 2640917)
. A restaurant has a monthy yappy hour, but that is probably for the foo foos. I doubt my big GSD's would be welcome...just picturing that makes me laugh!

I can see all the owners grabbing their little dogs and running the other way:D

I won't go anywhere that asks for vac's or sp/neuter proof.

I'm the complete opposite, I won't go if they don't ask for it. Rabies is the law here and since I am forced to give mine the shot so is everyone else:D The expos by me bring in several hundred dogs at a time...I couldn't imagine dogs in heat being there or males that are intact knowing a female in heat was there.:crazy:

onyx'girl 11-27-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm the complete opposite, I won't go if they don't ask for it. Rabies is the law here and since I am forced to give mine the shot so is everyone else The expos by me bring in several hundred dogs at a time...I couldn't imagine dogs in heat being there or males that are intact knowing a female in heat was there.
I train w/my intact male, females are in heat now and then(seems like more often than not) when we train, it is a great training distraction. I don't see that as a problem whatsoever as long as I have control of my dog.
Rabies is the law everywhere in the continental US isn't it?
As long as my dogs are vax'd according to the law, it isn't putting my dogs at risk(or vise/versa) to be around others that are or are not vax'd. Or are vaccines worthless so everyone is afraid if one doesn't have current bordatella or distemper/parvo?
I wouldn't bring a female in heat to an event that has several hundred dogs, but if I was trialing and my bitch was in heat, then I would go ahead if I felt she was ready to trial. In IPO they allow it, the females in heat go last, it isn't a big deal and the ones with males train around it as often as necessary.

huntergreen 11-28-2012 12:35 AM

there are a few events near me where they close off the roads and have "street fairs". very crowded. my dogs love it. i wouldn't bring any dog that is not dog, people and child friendly though. we see so many different dog breeds one would almost think it a dog show.

gagsd 11-28-2012 08:51 AM

If someplace is requiring proof of spay/neuter.... I would wonder if it was truly "dog friendly."

GSDolch 11-28-2012 09:51 AM

The majority of people on this board train their dogs and are responsible. We try to protect our dogs, make sure they are good out in public, etc etc.

But when dealing with the general public, MORE people out there, than on this board, don't get their dogs vac'd like they should per law, or train their dogs, or anything of the like.

For places of business, letting dogs into their places can be a liability issue. I'll be honest, if I had my own business, I would be very picky on if I allowed dogs, and the rules in regards to that. I wouldn't risk my business because someone doesn't like the rules I put into place.

Obviously there is also going to be differences when we are talking about a dog competition events and events held in public places that also allow dogs.

ozzymama 11-28-2012 10:15 AM

The town we live in is pretty dog friendly. Where we are going, I don't know how friendly it is. Here there is Springtime in Paris, Summertime in Paris and Christmas in Paris events and I have seen dogs at all of them. The first year Springtime in Paris is where dh saw the 2 Newfie dogs and that's when the quest for another pack member began LOL.
The pet shop/pet bakery downtown held a Dogtoberfest and during the Christmas Tree lighting and downtown shopping night was selling gift baskets to benefit the SPCA, they were only $10 and not the type of thing most of us would feed our dogs, but good for the pet lover on your list.
I do know where we are moving to, there is a nice looking GSD a block and a half away, saw him out playing with his human when we were up this week and the next town over hosts the dog sled races every winter - very winter focused area. Hockey and skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing... I bought a new snowmobile suit that has me covered to -50C, so I am ready LOL
Parks are pretty dog friendly, I always see a few dogs, though not a whole lot at festivals and outdoor things, but beaches up here, they have been ruined for the most part by irresponsible owners. There are very few dog friendly beaches and the ones that are, obviously are not kiddo friendly, for the most part, but we'll see how that changes when we move as well! 8 days, so excited.

robk 11-28-2012 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We take Ruger every where with us that we can. He goes to both our works, my kids school, lowes, Home depot, Gander Mountain, any restaurant that has out door seating, all local parks, any event that does not specifically ban pets. No one ever objects or asks us to leave. Usually it is my 11 year old daughter that is holding his leash. One time we were asked if either of the children had epilepsy. This was at lowes. We said no and he was with us because he is part of the family and goes everywhere with us. No one has ever mentioned him not being neutered.