Dogs At Public Events - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jager and Katya are very well known at virtually every restaurant and bar with a patio or deck. Also, Lowes and Home Depot allow dogs but I rarely bring mine in b/c I'm usually getting manhandled by boards and focusing on not spearing anyone. Even to non-friendly places I usually have them in my car with me and they hang out there.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

We bring our dogs quite a few places also. I'd say our town is fairly dog friendly. Any restaurant that has outdoor seating, Violet and I are there and we've never felt unwelcome. Most of the time the employees love it. My wife and I had both our Collie and Dobe at Hooters when Java was a pup (we sat on the outdoor/porch area) and I think we saw every waitress that was on staff at the time it was great socialization!

I make a lot of runs to our local Tractor Supply also and whenever I'm not getting anything that's too cumbersome I'll bring Violet with me and she's always welcomed, loved by all of the employees there.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

DFW isn't particularly dog friendly unless you have a dog that fits in a purse. Those little guys are allowed everywhere, it seems. There are places you can go - restaurants with outdoor areas, some Lowes and Home Depots, most nurseries. Some festivals are dog friendly (Cottonwood Art Fest is a great one), some are not. I've not yet run into any place asking for proof of vaccines or spay/neuter unless it's a dog class, groomer, or boarding facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
As long as my dogs are vax'd according to the law, it isn't putting my dogs at risk(or vise/versa) to be around others that are or are not vax'd.
This isn't entirely true. No vaccine is 100% effective, and I'm not talking about encountering a different strain of X or Y, here. Really effective vaccines are generally effective for 98-99% of the population, and I can tell you that not all of the common vaccines are even close to that level of effectiveness. It is not unusual for vaccines to be in the 80-90% range, some are even lower. What if your dog is in the percentage where the vaccine was not effective? It isn't as though you'd know until your dog gets sick. Even high titers do not guarantee protection.

That said, I don't really think about it too much, other than to keep it in the back of my mind.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The main places that I was talking about are events such as outdoor concerts and things like that where they aren't specifically for dogs,but people may bring their dogs. It seems like over the years it has gotten harder to find events like that who will allow your dog to come with you if you want to bring them.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

In Ottawa I can bring Kyleigh into Rona, but not Home Depot (because a woman shoved her face in front of a ****zhu's face and it bit her nose). They absolutely love Ky at Rona.

I've brought her to the open market in the spring / summer / fall and she loves it there. I've brought her to a number of farmer's markets, and she has a blast sniffing everything.

Everywhere else ... NOPE ... no dogs. I tried bringing her to a fair in the country and was turned away ... REALLY? In the country???? WOW ... ah well!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
The main places that I was talking about are events such as outdoor concerts and things like that where they aren't specifically for dogs,but people may bring their dogs. It seems like over the years it has gotten harder to find events like that who will allow your dog to come with you if you want to bring them.

Sadly that is the case, and its mainly because there are just far more people who don't do the training than there are people who do. Or there is someone there who tries to cause problems for dogs that don't pose any problems. It really sucks that they make it hard for us who train our dogs, but at the same time, I can see why events are doing it. :/
GSDolch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've noticed any festival that doesn't have an admission fee or an actual gate to get through doesn't care about the dog being there. Any place that is surrounded by a fence/has a gate probably won't allow the dog, but at the same time they probably have no business being there anyways. We technically have bans on dogs at some parks...but no one is going to gripe about it or call the police and the police have better things to do than respond to a dog in a park phone call anyways.

Most of our county parks allow dogs, and are large enough for off leash work and hiking. I don't see why any restaurant with a patio would gripe about it, most even have dog bowls with water siting out so the dog can drink if its hot and sunny out.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal

Our town is really dog friendly, which I absolutely love. For a few years now, I've taken my dogs to pet expos, parades, concerts, and festivals. I've found that as long as I have proof of their vaccinations, they're allowed at almost any and all outdoor events.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chicago and most of the suburbs are very dog friendly. We have tons of events here in the warmer months, such as festivals, outdoor concerts, fairs and parades and many of them allow dogs although there are a few that don't... Chicago has tons of neighborhood and city festivals so there are a lot of options, I usually have certain events I try to go to with my dogs every year such as Custer's Last Stand festival, Long Grove Strawberry Fest (and/or their Apple or Chocolate Festivals), Midsommarfest, Northalsted Market Days, Chicago Korean Festival, , St Charles Scarecrow Festival, Chinese New Year Parade, etc... I've also taken my dogs to the Movies in the Parks which are different movies that are shown all summer in different city parks.
I've never been asked for proof of vaccinations when going to a public type of event, only when going to a dog show or pet show. I don't generally carry that around with me although I do keep a copy in the car and of course my dogs wear their rabies tags which are required by law to be worn.

There are also dog-specific events and festivals such as the various rescue and shelter walks/runs which usually also have other events that go on before/after the walk itself, like costume contests and for-fun agility courses and vendors and things like that. There are also several dog-specific festivals like the Dog Day on the Green or Woofstock, and then there are the pet shows and dog shows of course, and a number of fundraisers for different rescues and shelters that you can bring your dog along to. Many restaurants also allow dogs on the patios although in the city proper they actually need a special license for this so it's important to check first if they're allowed (in the suburbs they don't need a license).
You could probably take your dog to a different event here pretty much every weekend day in the summer, and still not get to everything that is dog friendly.

Here's a photo of Bianca from the Long Grove Apple Fest last year:

Old 11-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It depends on the event. At our boardwalk there are concerts, but dogs are not allowed, besides it would be very loud. I live about 8 miles away from there and I can hear old time bands like Eddie Money and the Tubes if I step outside in the right place. We also have concerts at the beach village near my house, dogs are not allowed on the beach but they could be on a small grass area, again it may be too loud to bring them. The same beach has art and wine fest every year, it is crowded but you could bring your dog, but the heat in the afternoon is not good for them. The dogs can walk in the 4th of July parades and a Halloween parade. And then of course, UCSC has a huge, unofficial 420 day, but dogs are not allowed on campus thank goodness. The only other big events in our area are sports related like, triathlons, bicycle races, marathons, where they close down several streets for these large groups.

This weekend the GSD group I joined is planning to ride an open train into the redwoods. It's not an event, but a touristy place that will allow dogs. We are hoping it will not rain, it should be something to see over 30 GSD's together.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.