Owning a dog in a condo? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Owning a dog in a condo?

Does anyone own a GSD or a large breed and live in a condo or a town house on here? I've been looking at house's in a different area and boy are they a lot more expensive then I thought. I never thought a dog in a condo would work but what do you think. Zoey needs a lot of exercise and without my own yard, I would find it very hard.... thoughts?

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had my very first dog in an apartment - 4th floor - no balcony, no elevator! Right downtown.

Some people thought I was mean having a dog in a two bedroom apartment ... my thoughts? If I can "fit" in the apartment, and I'm bigger than my dog, than the dog can fit.

If you're going to make sure you really exercise your dog, then why not? Most people I see in the burbs with dogs and a yard never walk / exercise or train their dogs.

At least in an apartment you HAVE to go out ... for me it was a motivator to exercise!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are many folks on this forum who live in apartment buildings. I can't imagine having to potty train when living on the 6th floor!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had three dogs when living at a condo and going to school. We had a walk out patio which made it bearable, and we went to the dog park a lot. If you have the time to devote to exercise, it's no biggie. If you don't, it's a lot harder to pull off.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use to live in a very urban environment, and the dog owners I saw were those that lived in city apartments. It can absolutely be done, and done very well.

However...the demands are high on the owner. You have to exercise the dog. A lot. Every day. Regardless of weather, or how tired you are. You have to do it.

Also, a lot depends on the personality of the dog. I have an Aussie that barks at everything. She would not be happy in an apartment where she would be able to hear or see a lot of coming and going from the neighbors. She would be constantly over-stimulated and she would bark. A lot. Not fair to her and not fair to my neighbors. My GSD? No problem. He doesn't bark a lot, and would not be bothered. Two different dogs. Two different responses.

To be honest, I saw more successful and responsible owners when I lived in a city apartment than I do living in a suburban neighborhood. Too many people figure a fenced back yard equals plenty of exercise. Successful apartment owners know what the suburban owners should also know, namely that the exercise responsibility is on the human.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, I have a big fenced in backyard, but where is my Sting? Right inside next to me. Does Sting want to "self exercise" in the backyard? No - he sits outside or stays in the breezeway and looks back at the house. Will he potty himself in the backyard - no, he waits till I come out. So I may as well live in a condo. I'm sure Zoey feels the same way. She will happily guard your condo until you return.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everyone for the input. My main concern is that Zoey's main source of exercise is running off leash in my fenced in backyard now. Yes, we go for 2 walks a day, rain of shine, but that never gets out all of her energy.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just be sure that the condo doesn't have any breed restrictions, because some do - or they might go by weight too, and limit you that way. What about a nice fixer-upper instead, lol?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Well, I have a big fenced in backyard, but where is my Sting? Right inside next to me. Does Sting want to "self exercise" in the backyard? No - he sits outside or stays in the breezeway and looks back at the house. Will he potty himself in the backyard - no, he waits till I come out. So I may as well live in a condo. I'm sure Zoey feels the same way. She will happily guard your condo until you return.
Zoey is the EXACT same way.... even if its raining out and shes got to go poop, guess what? Daddy needs his rain jacket on and go watch her poop, OUTSIDE! My main concern is just getting out that extra energy while being on leash.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I raised my last GSD in a second floor walk up in Chicago. I sometimes think that if you live in an apartment the dog ends up getting more exercise because you have to take the dog out for exercise rather than relying on a backyard to do it for you. I know that your situation is different with Zoey, but I think it could work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.