Owning a dog in a condo? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I live in an apt. but power walked my dog 2.5-3hrs a day. At least an hr + in the morning, an hr + late aft. (3pm) and then another 1/2hr after his dinner...I would take him to a large field for off leash time, but instead of running around after a stick he would just want to hunt mice...then he went after a coyote - so no more off leash in the field, I take occasionally to a friends - he just lays in the grass until a squirrel tempts him. It was easy to kill an hour as we went through wooded trails and field and down to the lake, there are little pockets of natural area's I always took him to just for his mental stimulation and mine - hawks, deer, coyotes, bunnies, owls.

When he hurt his knee I think I suffered more then him - still went out for an hr. but he would just lay under a shady tree.

He has improved so much and now the cool weather - he is back to power walking me again...which is great, I need to loose a few pounds I gained from his injury

He also has a large balcony w/glass panels so he can watch the world go by and access to it almost whenever he wants fresh air. I have an open crate with a camping pad, blanket and a baby crib bumper lining inside to keep cold metal away from him....he often goes for a snooze in his crate on the balcony in the winter with a lite sprinkling of snow falling on him. Now that he is getting older, I am going to tarp it to keep dry little den for him.

Downfall to living in apt....Bathroom emergencies - takes a lot longer to get out when you have to wait for an elevator
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

My main hobby besides my new pup is raising koi.. I always thought it would be cool to have a full wall 2000 gallon indoor koi pond in a condo... having a GSD by my side while enjoying my koi would be perfect....
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

I kept thinking I would wait until I'm rich enough to buy a big house with a big yard to get a dog, but when houses around here are going for millions, reality started to hit that we may never get out of a condo...so I said screw it and now I'm getting a puppy in 4 weeks. Some times we have to make due with what is available to us.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lots of good stuff here. I have 3 bigger dogs in a two bedroom apartment and it works. I know that when I get my yard that the dogs will be wherever I am at anyway. Breed restrictions would be the only thing I would be worried about.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

you don't need a big house or a big yard to have a dog.
you take the dog out and play, walk, run, hang out, exercise
or whatever.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

I have two gsd and a sheltie in a one bedroom condo. The only benefit of our apt is theres lots of walking trails around it as the buildings are set in a forest.

The Pack
Sierra- 4 year old shepherdx rescue (my first love)
Sarge- newest addition, GSD. DOB July 15 2012 (my 2nd love)
Scotch- wife's 4 year old Sheltie.
thatsrich85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

In this case, you know that your dog is not yet super social (to a higher degree than just aloof and not entirely predictable thus far) and so that would be something to consider - will living in a condo require her and you to manage her behavior more, will it stress her, will she need a muzzle, will it be worse without the fenced yard for running (or can you get a condo w/a fence) or will it be just about the same as if you lived in a house?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.