Exceptions To Securing Dog In Car? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Here is a point... most of us with SUVs put the dogs/crates in the back. In some SUVs that is the "crumple zone." Meant to give way in case of impact.
Crumple zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Another reason I use the harnesses because it keep the dogs in the center of the car. Most accidents seem to be rear enders and no matter what you do to help your dog, if they are in the rear and it crumples up it's not going to be good.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

I think as long as people have thought it through to some extent, I won't sit here and insist on using this crate or this belt or this position in the vehicle. The bottom line is I need to protect myself and my passengers from my dogs should we be in an accident and a dog become a 75lb projectile. I cannot possibly account for every scenario unless I want to drive some sort of military tank. There are a lot of "solutions" that might be a bit safer but are absolutely impractical. My dogs don't ride in the vehicle just to get from point A to point B, if that were the case I'd probably have it arranged differently. But they are in the vehicle to go to work, training (where they are in the vehicle on and off all day, not just getting somewhere and back). They need to have enough space to move around, have access to water, be properly ventilated, be accessible for constant loading/unloading, be secured in a way that I can have windows down but still have the dogs safe from random people reaching in (ie, I can lock my kennel doors and lock the kennels themselves to the childseat anchors). Plus having anywhere from 2-5 dogs riding (crated) in a single vehicle rules out the possibility of some titanium dog box in the very center of the vehicle away from crush zones. Just not practical.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would prefer to mount my aluminum boxes sideways in the back but they are lengthwise for cooling and access based on crate design. [this is a truck set up]

One wire crate issue is the space between the pan and the bottom of the crate. I have had a foot slip through and thank goodness the dog allowed us to extricate him and did not break anything. Car was at an angle and I figured a $500 dog box was a lot more practical than a mangled paw. I got the owens.. not too pretty but welded and functional and cheaper than custom. I would really look at the variocage were I buying new but that is not a side option either..not sure if it would have the same utiliy in a truck as in an SUV. Def would go there in an SUV.

My box are "mid" bed and I have actually been thinking of putting some high density foam between the crate back and the back of the truck to absorb some impact ......... based on box design it will not impair airflow. I also need to get out and slide some hardware cloth in the winter vent holders to keep fingers out paws in.
I also use the heaviest duty ratchet tie downs I can buy. Also lock the boxes and the supplemental latches for transport. ........ I have a plastic PVC tube with emergency information and a spare key zip tied to the boxes.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What's with the side mounting? Is that so that the dog slams into the front of the box (in an accident) with their whole side? If they were front to back (not sideways) then they'd slam into the crate with their face or butt, possibly compressing their spine. Is that the thought on this?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

I'm guessing it makes the most sense for an airline type crate, so the dog would hit plastic when sliding forward or backward, rather than the wire door, assuming that if you are in an accident the most likely scenario is the dog sliding forward (if you're rolling or spinning I'm thinking all bets are off!). For wire crates, not sure if it matters since the dog is slamming into the same type of surface regardless (and a lot of people using wire crates have side doors as well).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh- I didn't consider the doors... good point.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I have had 5 cars totalled in 6 years. Twice I had my last dog, Abby, in the car, and once I had Kyleigh in the car.

None of them were my fault, and all the driver's were either talking or texting on their cell phones - but that's a whole other thread LOL

After this many accidents, I have found the best solution: I have a barrier that separates the front from the back, and I have padding that goes across the barrier. I bought 8 super thick towels and have duct taped them to the barrier. It stops about 8 inches from the roof of my car. I can still see out, and I know how to use my side mirrors LOL

The first accident I had with Abby was in my pick up truck. Thankfully, HUGE truck. I had her in a harness in the back seat. It was a Ruff Rider one, said to be the "best out there". I was at a dead stop and was rear ended by some yahoo who claimed he didn't see me (REALLY, a bright red dodge ram pick up truck at 3 in the afternoon?). He sent me flying into the intersection, where I was hit twice more by other vehicles. The harness BROKE and Abby went flying into the back of the front seat. Thankfully, neither of us was hurt - a little banged up, but nothing serious.

The second accident I had with Abby, she was in a crate. The hard plastic airline kind. I was told a crate was a safer place to be. I had an Accent - not the hatchback. I was turning left on a flashing green, and another twit on her cell phone, ran the red light and T-boned me ... doing about 80km/h when she hit me. The crate collapsed on her. It took us over an hour to get the crate apart so we could get her out. No blood but lots of bruising.

Then I bought the barrier. Two other cars totalled later, thankfully, no dogs in the car at the time, but the barrier still held up!

Last winter I was once again stopped at a red light and was rear ended Ė HARD. I was in my Alero, and the guy was going about 90km/h. I hit the car in front of me, and the trunk of my car was Ĺ way into the back seat.

Had I had Kyleigh in a crate she would have been dead. Had she been in the harness, she might have gone flying through the window. She hit the padded barrier sideways. I was hit by the airbags. I was unconscious for a minute or so, but when I came to, I was outside and someone was asking me what my dogís name was. Itís amazing how fast your brain can clear when your petís life is at risk. I ran back to car, and there she was barking up a storm DEMANDING to be let out of this scary car. We couldnít open the doors because they were smashed up. I crawled back into the front seat and was able to calm her down by talking to her. I also checked her over as best I could. There was no blood, and other than being freaked out a bit, she was fine. With the help of a fireman, I held her leash tight, and kept her on one side of the car and he smashed out the window, then he helped me pull her out of the car. I donít know who was happier, me or her!

After those experiences, I will never use anything else other than the padded barrier.
Holy Shemoly, I probably would have moved out of the are after totaling the 4th car.
I'm glad you and your dog are okay. That is crazy.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

The funny thing is ... I've always been at a dead stop when I've been hit ... Yesterday I almost got slammed again, but saw the person behind me and I did a U-turn. Had I not moved out the way, I'd have been smoked ... I keep looking for the bulls-eye on my car, but have yet to find one!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

On side vs long. My perception was the spinal impact..that a full side body impact would cause less damage, but in a wreck of anykind I guess they are thrown around like a ragdoll regardless.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #40 (permalink)

Or they are like my dogs and rarely lie down in the direction of the crate. Nikon curls into a ball regardless of which way the crate points.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.