Exceptions To Securing Dog In Car? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I use the seatbelt harness when he rides in my hatchback, and I was very surprised a few weeks ago when he was unbuckled! Thankfully, he must have stepped on the seatbelt by accident, because he hasn't done it again since. Just what I *don't* need, lol, is him unclipping himself as soon as we're on the highway.
If you mean the actual car seatbelt buckle, if he does it again or if you're worried he might, you could always buy a seat belt buckle guard/cover... They're made to prevent small children from unbuckling themselves but they should work to prevent a dog from accidentally stepping on the release too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

The Video is in german but it still brings the point across very well the "dummy" dog weighs 20kg (44lbs)
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
The Video is in german but it still brings the point across very well the "dummy" dog weighs 20kg (44lbs)
ADAC Tiertransporte im Auto - YouTube
Got to love ADAC and all the tests they are doing.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

By the way, they said that the most secure way for the dog is to travel in a crate that is sideways and I can attest to that. Our crates, were not damaged at all when my husband was in a car accident, recently. Sideways is the most secure way in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

Yep sidewise for a big crate and in the footwell behind the seat for a small dog or a cat crate.

Hey Mrs K. does that mean you speak german too??
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yep sidewise for a big crate and in the footwell behind the seat for a small dog or a cat crate.

Hey Mrs K. does that mean you speak german too??
I am German
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have had 5 cars totalled in 6 years. Twice I had my last dog, Abby, in the car, and once I had Kyleigh in the car.

None of them were my fault, and all the driver's were either talking or texting on their cell phones - but that's a whole other thread LOL

After this many accidents, I have found the best solution: I have a barrier that separates the front from the back, and I have padding that goes across the barrier. I bought 8 super thick towels and have duct taped them to the barrier. It stops about 8 inches from the roof of my car. I can still see out, and I know how to use my side mirrors LOL

The first accident I had with Abby was in my pick up truck. Thankfully, HUGE truck. I had her in a harness in the back seat. It was a Ruff Rider one, said to be the "best out there". I was at a dead stop and was rear ended by some yahoo who claimed he didn't see me (REALLY, a bright red dodge ram pick up truck at 3 in the afternoon?). He sent me flying into the intersection, where I was hit twice more by other vehicles. The harness BROKE and Abby went flying into the back of the front seat. Thankfully, neither of us was hurt - a little banged up, but nothing serious.

The second accident I had with Abby, she was in a crate. The hard plastic airline kind. I was told a crate was a safer place to be. I had an Accent - not the hatchback. I was turning left on a flashing green, and another twit on her cell phone, ran the red light and T-boned me ... doing about 80km/h when she hit me. The crate collapsed on her. It took us over an hour to get the crate apart so we could get her out. No blood but lots of bruising.

Then I bought the barrier. Two other cars totalled later, thankfully, no dogs in the car at the time, but the barrier still held up!

Last winter I was once again stopped at a red light and was rear ended – HARD. I was in my Alero, and the guy was going about 90km/h. I hit the car in front of me, and the trunk of my car was Ĺ way into the back seat.

Had I had Kyleigh in a crate she would have been dead. Had she been in the harness, she might have gone flying through the window. She hit the padded barrier sideways. I was hit by the airbags. I was unconscious for a minute or so, but when I came to, I was outside and someone was asking me what my dog’s name was. It’s amazing how fast your brain can clear when your pet’s life is at risk. I ran back to car, and there she was barking up a storm DEMANDING to be let out of this scary car. We couldn’t open the doors because they were smashed up. I crawled back into the front seat and was able to calm her down by talking to her. I also checked her over as best I could. There was no blood, and other than being freaked out a bit, she was fine. With the help of a fireman, I held her leash tight, and kept her on one side of the car and he smashed out the window, then he helped me pull her out of the car. I don’t know who was happier, me or her!

After those experiences, I will never use anything else other than the padded barrier.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #28 (permalink)

Here is a point... most of us with SUVs put the dogs/crates in the back. In some SUVs that is the "crumple zone." Meant to give way in case of impact.
Crumple zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
ADAC Tiertransporte im Auto - YouTube
That's a great video to show not only how a dog will get flung around the car (and into the front seat out the windshield) AND what a crap harness looks like. Not only did the metal clip fail holding the harness to the support strap, but also the support strap was WAY too long allowing the dog to get flung so far in the first place (before the clip broke).

ANY seat belt system has to be a bit of a restraint and keep the dog in their spot in the car. If they have enough length to move all around then it's not going to provide much safety.

I also love that the harnesses allow my dogs to be in my car with all the windows open in the warmer months and they can't jump out.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have not completely read this thread, but I agree with everything stated here in the first reply. There is no good reason to not secure the dog in the car. I'd also note that it takes no more than 20 seconds to get my dog's seat belt harness on and clipped into the car.

Quote:
To me there's no excuse or reason to not secure your dog in the car.
Lock your door if you're driving somewhere where you don't feel safe!

A loose dog in the car is so dangerous both for the driver and the dog. I think usually it's laziness that makes people not secure them. It takes a few minutes to put the harness on and its a short trip down to the store......

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.