Does anyone play/exercise their dog with RC cars? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agree that I wouldn't want one unless the dog could catch it. My dog would be on an RC car in a heartbeat lol. I've seen people do it before though and I guess it works well for them.

I don't think chasing an RC car is going to be a lot more stimulating than fetch anyway. There are lots of ways to make fetch more interesting and I think the social interaction with the owner is a lot of fun. As jocoyn said, a chuck-it or a ball on a string can be invaluable. I'm a terrible throw and I don't know what I'd do without my chuck-it.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

i have often wondered about this. Seemed like a good way to get some exercise on days that I am not feeling well or just plain old tired! But I was concerned about the chewing it up aspect.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

When I'm feeling lazy plain old fetch works for me plus I have a flirt pole. If I really want to tire him out fast we go to a nearby lake and he retrieves sticks or a ball from the water.

Sometimes we have extreme ice storms here and it can be extremely difficult to walk plus I don't want Dax slipping on the ice so I also don't want to do fetch. Then we just work on tricks or I hide his toy in the house and make him find it.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

i don't think the rc car would be fast enough I could see mine flipping it or smashing it when she got bored with it.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

ahh, you don't know RC cars. they can go 60 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
i don't think the rc car would be fast enough I could see mine flipping it or smashing it when she got bored with it.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I know nothing about this ... BUT I saw two kids playing with one at at off leash dog park (the big one where I live) ... NOW this was hilarious. I called Kyleigh away from it, because the last thing I needed was her destroying a $500 toy (yes, that's how much this RC was ... they were bragging about it!)

No sooner had I passed by the two boys and the RC then I hear someone yelling, WINSTON STOP STOP STOP ... WINSTON ... I turn around and Winston is a chocolate lab who has grabbed the RC in his jaws and is in the process of destroying it. The boys were stunned - frozen in place - and about 15-20 seconds later, their $500 toy was in pieces.

I kept walking.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah, two chomps and that thing would be history.

Not to mention, what if the pieces were swallowed?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jonas plays with an RC truck every evening inside house. I would say at the moment, its probably his favorite toy. He has always done stuff like this from 8 weeks old till now. He has went through about 10 helicopters and slowly devouring his truck.I think he is worth it though. I wont buy him a $400.00 one though thats just crazy. I will try and get you guys a video of this some time, you will howl. I also have an RC helicopter with a camera, so I will post it sometime as well.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

My boyfriend uses one of his rc's to exercise the dogs every now and then, and they love it! I find that my female shepherd enjoys chasing the car more than chasing a ball. It does take some training to ensure they don't destroy them though. They do bite the tires, but they are easily repairable. Traxxas is a pretty good brand, but I find the Savage flux to be the most durable so far. When we bought it brand new, it was $600, but that was a couple years ago so the price should have gone down by now. The nice thing about it is that every thing is replaceable, if something breaks you don't need to replace the entire car. When my boyfriend gets home from work (in about a week) I can post a video he has on his phone of the rc.

Where are you located? If your in Alberta I could recommend some hobby shops that would carry decent rc's.
Theo241 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Get the traxxas truck, these things are built to be crashed/flipped and driven on grass and parts are easily replaceable. Look on craigslist for it used, I would honestly put maybe a fake squirrel on it so she goes after that and not the truck.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.