German Shepherds Forum banner

How did your dogs do??

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Stevenzachsmom 
#1 ·
Well now that we are wrapping up a very busy day..all the dogs are sleeping peacefully. This was my GSD's first Thanksgiving with us:) She was quite interested in all the cooking I did...she has never seen me cook so much. She tried smelling everything:) I had about 12 people over and the dogs behaved nicely. They get excited when they see my family, but they calm down nicely. They do follow my dad, because he feeds them(he thinks he's sneaky and I don't know this). We put the GSD in a park it on the couch and she stayed there until we called her off...it was about 1/2 hour. All in all they did good, stayed out of the way when they were suppose to and cuddle with family afterwards. I attached a picture I got of my dad with the dogs...you notice he's alone?? The rest of the family finally told him to go in the other room if he wanted to feed the dogs...he did. I was very proud the GSD stayed put on the couch.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22901&stc=1&d=1353631275

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Everyone did well here. A few of our friends and family brought their dogs and everyone got along. The dogs had raw bones while we ate,but a few of them got extra snuck to them of course. After dinner we loaded all of the dogs up and took them to the lake to burn off the excess energy.It was a good time to go because nobody else was out there,but us.Considering that we had 39 people and a total 10 dogs here, everything went great.

#3 ·
Very nice way to end the night. It started raining pretty hard here:( I love seeing that many dogs together and getting along.

#4 ·
my dog doesn't rush the kitchen when we're cooking.
pull out the ice tray, cucumber or cutting board
and he's in the kitchen with his tail wagging, mouth
open and lips smacking. did i tell you i forgot to bring
the turkey home in time for it to thaw?

#7 ·
Hans enjoyed the Germanic fall weather, but we are so very ready to go back to Florida.

He loved playing and taking walks in the cold, and I got a couple of really nice fall pics of him.
He spent the day air sniffing the turkey. Poor guy only got some raw, but for his evening meal we saved some good leftovers for topping his meal.
So far no ill effects from the piece if raw neck he ate this morning.
We left him at the house and went to SIL's for dinner. Waiting for 9pm so he can eat his feast, then I am going to bed early because I want it to be tomorrow sooner so I can get outta here and go back to the pool and palms!
Hope everyone had a good one !

#8 ·
Took Stella to my son's house (at the request of all the kids). A lot of people there, some she never met before. She did just fine (but I kept an eye on her). I think her favorite part was going outside in the yard and playing hide and seek with the kids! I did take her back home at her dinner time....we just live down the road....and she spent some quiet time at home in her crate.
When I got home, we went out in the yard for a short session of fetch.
Now we are both plopped on a couch.

#9 ·
The only one in my family that doesn't like animals is my grandmother.

So, of course, Gable followed her around all day.

He behaved himself, otherwise, but it was funny. He wanted her attention so badly.

#10 ·
My crew did great! We drove out to my mother's house where the family was gathering. There were 16 of us... 4 being young kids. Also, a ferret and my mother's 14yr old golden retriever.

My 3 were very well behaved while out of their kennels. Everyone stayed calm and played nice with the kids! When they went in their crates while dinner was out... they were silent. You would have never known they were there! I'm very proud of them.

Lots of stressful situations for a dog, and it didn't bother them!:D

#11 ·
Totally impressed with my pup as usual. My husband's sister and mother border on severely handicapped. My sister-in-law is in a wheelchair. I wondered how it would be with them here for the weekend; sometimes emotions tend to be stressful around them. But he has handled it like the champ he is, with nerves of steel. And he has been kind and gentle and very calm around them.

I must say though, even though I am always conscious of my pup and the environment I'm putting him in, I was very relaxed, because this is exactly how I thought he would act. <3

#12 ·
She did pretty good. She was super excited when people arrived. She did very well for quite a while, but did spend a little bit longer than normal outside. When I came out to take a break from cooking, some of the kids started coming out to play and she seemed to be uneasy. It was weird because most of the kids were here just a few days ago. I think it was one little boy who is new to her and a little more hyper.

I took her in and let her spend the rest of the time in my room with a turkey, cheese and kibble kong. She had the darnedest time with it and when I checked on her quite a while later she hadn't made much progress. I ended up having to help.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#13 ·
We took the kids, both our gsds and my MIL's pup (Ranger 3 month old GSD) to my mom & dads house. They have wooded acreage so the dogs get to run quite a bit. My sister brought her daschund she recently got from a rescue which we know is DA. Well, to keep this short, DW was outside with Ranger, Tuke, and Zoey. They were sniffing and investigating in the back yard. My brother in law went to step outside and the wiener shot passed him and went straight for the pup, before she knew it Tuke & Zoey had zeroed in on him and got within inches as DW yelled leave it! Which they did! They stopped, standing over the daschund (who froze and was on his side) they just stood there and looked back at DW. We have never, in the 2 years we've had Tuke & Zoey, had to use "leave it" for something like this. We are so proud of them. My family was amazed as well, they thought for a split second that this was going to be bad. I don't know why the daschund had it in for the pup so bad, this was his second attempt to attack Ranger. I'm just glad he realised he was out gunned and froze like he did.

#14 ·
Both of mine had a great day. Lots of ball play and being goofs. Woolf learned that if he just stood beside my Dad he would get an ear scratch. HUGE step for Woolf :)

Funniest thing today was when I was serving dishes ready for the table. Woolf was dying for some ham, didn't harass me at all, a perfect gentleman. Instead, he sat at his place for meals, with perfect focus. Yeah, he got a small piece of lean ham lol. He earned it.

Really proud of this one, a few months ago, this was the same person that Woolf had lunged with intent at.
Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore

Woolf giving me the eye for not making Shadow move out of Son's lap lol
Canidae Dog Dog breed Carnivore Great dane

#15 ·
From what I hear, Blitz did great. I went to California for Thanksgiving so my ex is watching Blitz for the week. He probably had a better thanksgiving than I did, the ex and his mom were feeding him turkey and scraps while I ate at Denny's because it was the only place open.

#16 ·
I love reading these posts. I really love that people here include the dogs in family things and holidays.:):)

#17 ·
Fantastic :) we went to my parents with about 20 people, a couple kids and 3 other dogs. I kept her on leash with me most of the time to keep her from jumping on people or eating the kids toys. She had fun running around the back yard with the dogs and kids and got tired out. I up her in the crate while we ate. But otherwise she just enjoyed her self hanging out with all of us. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#18 ·
My fearful dog that I have been training for a year now since an incident last holidays went to my grandmas with me. He is not allowed inside unless he is kenneled in the guest room so he played in the backyard all day. He was very gentle and sweet with my grandma and he liked my dad as always.

The real test was my brother as he has never met him before. I had the perfect introduction planned but my brother showed up while I was showering. I went outside and he was sitting there reading on his phone while rocky licked his fingers! All that stress for nothing.

One bad note--my grandmas neighbor showed up and brought his weenie dog and we found out TWO hours later that the dog was infested with fleas and not on preventative. I'm getting rocky a flea bath tomorrow just in case

#19 ·
We had a great doggie holiday. I am pet sitting a 4 year old Dutch Shepherd. He is a real joy - such a good boy. I have not yet posted about my new addition - since my old girl passed in August. I'll get to that some time. He is a hound mix of some sort. Probably quite a few different breeds. He is about 5 or 6 months old and weighs about 18 pounds. He gives the Shepherd a run for his money. If I was the shepherd, I would eat him. He is so annoying. I gated off my kitchen for the little guy. The big guy can go anywhere he wants. What does he do? Lays right by the gate, where the little guy swats him on the head and chews on his ears. UGH! They play beautifully in the yard together - except the little guy never seems to get tired.

Had my 86 year old mother and my 93 year old great uncle here for dinner. My uncle loves dogs, so he was in his glory. The dogs were really well behaved - all things considered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.