GSD, Mal, Mix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD, Mal, Mix?

I had to put my 11 year old GSD Kira to sleep last week. We decided to adopt another GSD from the same rescue we got Kira and our other dog Dax from (they're great folks). Dax is clearly a GSD mix. He has the color and pointy ears of a GSD, but that's about it. Personality is definitely different. He's a great dog though, and we love him. Anyway... I found this gorgeous sable girl, about 18 months old, had 2 pups a few months ago. She's gentle as can be and smart as a whip. We brought her home Saturday. The rescue group mentioned she might have some malinois in her. A SAR friend of mine also suggested she might be a mal. Her activity level would definitely fit. She's quite the active and agile dog! But looking at pics online... I have no clue. GSD? Mal? Mix of something? Any clues?

Here are her pups. Who knows what the dad was. I notice that one pup has classic mal coloring:

Her temperament is rock solid. Nothing seems to phase her. She's great with my little kids (youngest is 3). She's wanting to play with my cats, and one cat keeps tormenting her by staying out in the middle of the room. It's driving Keiko NUTS. But she isn't trying to eat the cat at all. She mostly just sniffs at her and whines a bit. She's doing great with Dax as well - he's getting more exercise than he's had the last 3 years I've had him!

So anyway, breed identification experts - what do you think? Oh, and she's about 22" tall, and weighs 67 lbs. She has a lean, narrow build. Her coat is very short and closed.
boscopup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i wouldn't have a clue, but she looks great and hope you enjoy her for years to come.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

he might be just a different line,try looking up ddr shepherds and czech shepherds do some digging he could just be a mix of a few different lines.look up those on google pics and maybe you can put together a better guess.also if you go back to when the gsd was started they look alot like that.just cuz he does not look like your normal roach back saddle back gs does not always mean it is a mix
arizona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

My DDR girl looks very similar to your new girl and has energy and drive FOR DAYS!

To me she looks purebred, but it can be hard without seeing movement and having the dog in front of you. My girl is also the same height and 5lbs lighter than your girl, so same size as well.

As for the pups, the first one could be a light sable, that will darken as it gets older, and the second looks like a bi-color, both Shepherd colors, but they both look mixed to me, something about the shorter muzzle. But they definitely look like high Shepherd mixes.

8 months

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...rch2010056.jpg

12 months

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSC_0175.jpg

18 months

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...Trial20123.jpg

20 months

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...84183jpg-1.jpg

25 months

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...eApril2012.jpg

She was quite lean when she was growing, your girl is still quite young. Ironhide started putting on good muscle around 18 months and is still filling out at almost 3.

Last edited by N Smith; 11-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

very nice looking gsd !
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

well she's right within standard size wise, she's really nice looking (of course I'm rather biased when it comes to dark sables and I'd guess she was pure or very close to it..Her puppies are adorable

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She is gorgeous, and her puppies are beautiful little furbabies. I have no idea if she is pure or a mix with mal, but she is surely a keeper. I am sorry about your precious girl Kira, I hope that you will make lots of great memories with your new girl.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

looking at those great pictures caused me to forget to say, i am sorry you lost your kira.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry about your loss of Kira. I think your new girl is gorgeous. She does look a little mal to me but I am no expert. If you really want to know, I believe you can get a kit at Petsmart that will tell you what breed she is.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's great that you rescued another!

Honestly, she looks like a WL GSD to me. Do you have a photo of her face from straight on?

Anyway, enjoy your new girl, whatever she is, she's certainly BEAUTIFUL. So are her pups, gosh they are cute!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.