German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Bear saw a Bear!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/194694-bear-saw-bear.html)

Bear GSD 11-19-2012 01:12 PM

Bear saw a Bear!!!

This past weekend I took Bear hiking in one of our many open space trails.
We were hiking late afternoon when all of a sudden Bear froze and all the hairs on his back went up. I saw something moving in some trees in the distance and saw a big black object moving. I also froze and realized that it was a bear. We waited a few minutes and it moved on (thankfully)!

I'm really lucky that Bear does not react too much when we encounter wildlife, we see deer and coyote all the time and he never barks. The only thing that he does want to chase are the rabbits and praire dogs, but if I tell him "leave it" he will back down. I also keep Bear on a lead beccause I still don't trust his recall yet.

The Bears here have gotten kind of aggressive, just last week a black bear get a hold of someone's pygmy goat and ate it :eek:

I know what they tell you to do when you encounter Bears or Mountain Lions out in the wild, but I'm not really sure what I should do when I have my dog with me. If Bear would have started barking at the Bear what should I have done?

Kyleigh 11-19-2012 01:15 PM

OMG ... I would have had a heart attack! I'm so lucky that all I've ever run into is deer, porcupines and skunks ... and the odd harmless snake.

All I know about seeing a bear? Make sure you can run faster than the person you're with ... so you would have lost because Bear can outrun you (had he chosen to run too) ... so next time, bring someone you can run faster than!

Zeeva 11-19-2012 01:18 PM

Great training c: I wish my two wouldn't chase rabbits and squirrels.

RocketDog 11-19-2012 01:20 PM

Kyleigh, you're joking, right? ;)

If your dog will recall, and is off-leash, then you call him immediately back and stand your ground, or back slowly away, IF the bear isn't moving. If the bear begins to move, stay still. Do not talk or move. If the bear starts to charge you, most of the time they're bluffing, and you can try to bluff back, but this is asking for trouble.

The best solution is to get and CARRY bear spray. If the bear begins to move towards you, use the bear spray.

If the dog isn't reliable on recall, use a long line. The dog will lose the battle. Bears can run at speeds of 35 mph, and will outsprint even a dog.

Bear GSD 11-19-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeva (Post 2634020)
Great training c: I wish my two wouldn't chase rabbits and squirrels.

Hahaha, Bear will only "leave it" because he's still attached to me and there's nothing he can do about it, lol!

Zeeva 11-19-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear GSD (Post 2634025)
Hahaha, Bear will only "leave it" because he's still attached to me and there's nothing he can do about it, lol!

Oh! Bear is on leash?!? lol. That's how I do things to ;)

Kyleigh 11-19-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketDog (Post 2634021)

If your dog will recall, and is off-leash, then you call him immediately back and stand your ground, or back slowly away, IF the bear isn't moving. If the bear begins to move, stay still. Do not talk or move. If the bear starts to charge you, most of the time they're bluffing, and you can try to bluff back, but this is asking for trouble.

The best solution is to get and CARRY bear spray. If the bear begins to move towards you, use the bear spray.

If the dog isn't reliable on recall, use a long line. The dog will lose the battle. Bears can run at speeds of 35 mph, and will outsprint even a dog.

YUP! Honestly, I'd probably just die right there!

Legally, we can't carry bear spray where I live ... so I'll just leave the bears to the brave people, and continue to take on the much tamer wildlife where I live!

Bear GSD 11-19-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketDog (Post 2634021)

I use a long line on hikes because Bear is not reliable on recall, but what should I do if the Bear starts to charge me and my dog? Do I release the dog and take my chances or do I still hold my ground? I would think that at some point if the Bear is threatening us, Bear (mine) will start to bark and fuss.
Also does this also apply to mountain lions, because they are every bit as prevalent in my area as well. Does Bear spray work on mountain lions too?

I guess I'm going to have to get some bear spray and be very careful with my surroundings.

jae 11-19-2012 01:59 PM

I have heard that a bear will not mess with a dog growling and standing its ground. I would never test that theory, but I have heard that. Also depends what kind of bear - black bear will usually sprint like a scared cat when surprised and are at a distance, operative word being surprised so if you see one further away clap and shout and they have always run away from me. For grizzlies just act like Tim Treadwell! Okay I am joking do not mess with a grizzly...

I have my dog wear a bear bell when we are hiking in bear country, or in the early mornings and dusk, it keeps away more than bears. I really suggest that, and a revolver. I wouldn't ever release the dog and "take chances" if it charges, because those chances always means one of you will lose. Stand your ground and make a fuss at the bear and tell him to go away, your dog will do the same, and bear spray is the last ditch effort, yes it will work on mountain lions - if it'll stop a bear it will stop nearly anything - but those are ambushers so you won't see it coming at you until it is too late, you need to seriously keep your eyes peeled for those.

Bear GSD 11-19-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jae (Post 2634079)
I have heard that a bear will not mess with a dog growling and standing its ground. I would never test that theory, but I have heard that. Also depends what kind of bear - black bear will usually sprint like a scared cat when surprised, operative word being surprised. For grizzlies just act like Tim Treadwell! Okay I am joking do not mess with a grizzly...

I have my dog wear a bear bell when we are hiking in bear country, or in the early mornings and dusk, it keeps away more than bears. I really suggest that, and a revolver. I wouldn't ever release the dog and "take chances" if it charges, because those chances always means one of you will lose. Stand your ground and make a fuss at the bear and tell him to go away, your dog will do the same, and bear spray is the last ditch effort.

I forgt about Bear bells. Will that work in the case of mountain lions as well? Yeah, no Grizzly's here in my neck of the woods (thankfully)