Experiences with Rottweilers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Experiences with Rottweilers?

Howdy guys and gals,

We are looking for a dog to get (from puppy age). I've been reading up on breeds and heard some pleasant experiences that people have had with rottweilers, contrary to most people's initial reactions of them . We/they're looking for a dog that is dog & people friendly, and can be accepting of strangers. Our extended family & neighbors will sometimes come through our backyard and would like a dog that's fine with that (ie; Not for property protection in the slightest). Also looking for a dog that's prey drive will not override training while going for walks (I'm unsure of how much this can be influenced). With proper training, socialization, and exposure to situations of this, can a properly bred Rottweiler be okay with this?

My thoughts are that proper treatment, training, socialization, and breeder selection of the dog will have greater impacts than the dog's breed. That said, is there anything of a rottweiler that would prevent it from fulfilling our wants?

I really like a lot of the positive traits that the Rottweiler has. A problem I have with smaller dogs (in my experiences) is they can be fear aggressive/defensive in scenarios because of their size, and we also have some mid-size wildlife that's in the area.

I suppose I could go to the rottweiler forum, but I've seen quite a bit of helpful and very knowledgeable people here, so I thought I'd ask. Any experiences/opinions are also welcome/appreciated.

Thanks.
Benevolence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Love them. Their goofs. They can be quite serious and protective. My brothers put herself between his toddler and a very large dog that was coming at my nephew "with intent". But I think it would be more beneficial to find a Rottie forum and ask. Many people here won't have experience with the breed.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
x11
Banned

don't know the breed, but with any breed especially large ones check the hips of the parent's / grandparents. check for breed specific genetic diseases and the ethics of the breeder. just general stuff not breed specific and look how clean their facilities are and if the dogs look happy.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Love them. My Chama's dad was a rottie. They are people friendly, excellent with kids, easy to train, appropriately protective and big mushes. They are really big dogs though so be sure you want a really big dog. And they do have their fair share of health problems, due to poor breeding practices.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had one a few years ago, he was a big baby. He was never aggressive with anyone but at the same time he did not like for anyone to approach him, he liked to be the approacher. Not sure that is the proper word to use. He developed cancer in his front leg at the young age of 5 and we had to put him down. I know that all dogs are different but he was surely a keeper.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

@Jax08: Thanks, and will do.

@x11: I agree, and I'll make sure to be ontop of that, regardless of breed (but with consideration of breed specific issues). I've been reading on here about what an irresponsible breeder can result in, and I'll definitely be looking out for that.

Edit: Oops, too slow. Thanks bowwowmeow and 1sttimeforgsd.

Last edited by Benevolence; 11-18-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a friend who raises import lines, have seen them to both extremes....ones I am in mortal fear of [these are gone], and others who are just big teddy bears....his current male is super - and some of the females I have met are great too...

steinbrucke.com

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

with that understanding any dog is right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolence View Post
Howdy guys and gals,

We are looking for a dog to get (from puppy age). I've been reading up on breeds and heard some pleasant experiences that people have had with rottweilers, contrary to most people's initial reactions of them . We/they're looking for a dog that is dog & people friendly, and can be accepting of strangers. Our extended family & neighbors will sometimes come through our backyard and would like a dog that's fine with that (ie; Not for property protection in the slightest). Also looking for a dog that's prey drive will not override training while going for walks (I'm unsure of how much this can be influenced). With proper training, socialization, and exposure to situations of this, can a properly bred Rottweiler be okay with this?

>>>>>My thoughts are that proper treatment, training, socialization, and breeder selection of the dog will have greater impacts than the dog's breed.<<<<<

That said, is there anything of a rottweiler that would prevent it from fulfilling our wants?

I really like a lot of the positive traits that the Rottweiler has. A problem I have with smaller dogs (in my experiences) is they can be fear aggressive/defensive in scenarios because of their size, and we also have some mid-size wildlife that's in the area.

I suppose I could go to the rottweiler forum, but I've seen quite a bit of helpful and very knowledgeable people here, so I thought I'd ask. Any experiences/opinions are also welcome/appreciated.

Thanks.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
with that understanding any dog is right for you.
Well, that's not to say I'm right, or that starting with a temperament that matches 'wants' isn't ideal.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I lived with a Rottweiler for a little more than two years. We adopted him as a 13 week old puppy from an animal shelter.

He was good with other animals. You could give him anything, take anything from him...but you couldn't touch him while you did it. He seemed to enjoy training, but was hard headed.

He took his home and yard seriously. He was not prone to barking, but when he did there was a reason for it. I cannot imagine him being okay with strangers coming in and out of the house and/or yard.

He died while under going his second obstruction surgery in a month.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.