Experiences with Rottweilers? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolence View Post
Thank you guys very much. I do think that the Rottweiler is not the choice breed for the specific wants that we're thinking.

My parents are more looking at collies now. We've had one before and they loved it. While I did too, I felt there was something left to be wanted, the dog had no real drive to do....anything... except bark and sniff around (no toy/work/play (human or dog)/prey drive, only treats). Perhaps we had a negative influence on that, and I'd like to think I'm more informed now.
Yea, I think if you are now looking at a Collie, then quite obviously a Rottie would not have been a good choice for you at all!

All of the rotties that I have met (not too many) have been VERY friendly even when we first met them. Then there is the famous "Rottie Lean" - where once you pet one one they come to you and sit next to you and just lean into you and the more you pet them, the more that they lean!

And most people will find it VERY hard to push 1 110-140 lb Rottie away!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Yea, I think if you are now looking at a Collie, then quite obviously a Rottie would not have been a good choice for you at all!

All of the rotties that I have met (not too many) have been VERY friendly even when we first met them. Then there is the famous "Rottie Lean" - where once you pet one one they come to you and sit next to you and just lean into you and the more you pet them, the more that they lean!

And most people will find it VERY hard to push 1 110-140 lb Rottie away!!!!!
Haha. I was just trying to propose the idea, but they gave me the look. Granted, once I'm out of college and fully independent, I'll have different desires of a dog.

They view dogs that have the 'bad public image' as loaded guns waiting to go off. Which is odd, considering I was raised around intact Akitas. I'll just respect their opinion and keep researching/learning.
Benevolence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #43 (permalink)

I in particular love rotties, but they are almost like Pit Bulls, that if anything ever happens its automatically your fault.

I have had a couple raised in and around the family over the years, and my neighbor has two goofy brothers who are both lean and over 120lbs....the one I used to consider a great dog always listened well until one day he tried to get me to pet him, so he walked up and bit me in my manberries....lol Not hard but it was still one heck of a surprise.
NoVAGSDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #44 (permalink)

I have a shepherd now, but always had Rotti's before this. They are great dogs when properly socialized and trained, they are like a big goofy teddy bear.
I have only ever owned males, and as others have said they can be very stubborn and pig headed, it can make training frustrating at times. I found they became very bored easily while training them and always had to find something more challenging for them to learn.
They do come with their health problems as well. There is a lot of cancer that seems to occurr. Three of mine past from cancer. I also had two of them tear their cruciate and had to have the sugery done. Only one of mine did I ever have same sex aggression problems with.
I love these dogs and would own another one in a heartbeat.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #45 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I've enjoyed reading this thread - so many rottie characteristic I recognize in my Keeta! She was a stray I adopted from the shelter, so just guessing at her mix, but the more I read about rotties, the more convinced I am that there is a hefty part of her that is rottie - the growling when being handled or petted or brushed, even though she loves being petted and brushed. Freaked me out until I learnt that it was common with Rotties. And then the Rottie lean - one of her specialties.

Not sure what the other breeds she is mixed with would be, but whatever it is, gave her a gorgeous silky soft coat that people just can't stop petting and stroking (good thing she likes it, ).

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

a flat coated retriever is always happy to see people, even people that are not part of the family as in crossing your yard. just saying.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.