Experiences with Rottweilers? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had 2 many years ago. One sweet female, the runt of the litter. The other was a huge male, about 120 lbs. Both were great dogs, no aggression. Being their breed, and especially the size of the male, there was no need to be on the defensive. Once, we were outside and a strange man turned onto our street. The dog watched him, and when the man got 1/2 way down our block, my dog simply stood up. The man stopped and went back the other way.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have had several in my classes and they were all very nice dogs. But their owners trained them and did their homework. I would be hesitant to expect from a guard dog to let strangers enter and leave through its property, unless you are there with him so he can take his cues from you.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

While the Rottweiler is my favorite breed there are some Rottweiler characteristics that do not match up with what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolence View Post
We/they're looking for a dog that is dog & people friendly, and can be accepting of strangers. Our extended family & neighbors will sometimes come through our backyard and would like a dog that's fine with that (ie; Not for property protection in the slightest).
Rottweilers were originally bred as a cattle driving and GUARD dogs. Typically Rottweilers are aloof with strangers and not given to accepting non-family members (as in people who don't live in its home) in their territory. Well-socialized Rottweilers are really one-family dogs, absolutely devoted to the members of their pack but generally people from the outside are met with indifference to suspicion. Dog aggression is in no way uncommon for this breed as well, especially male/male.

Quote:
Also looking for a dog that's prey drive will not override training while going for walks (I'm unsure of how much this can be influenced). With proper training, socialization, and exposure to situations of this, can a properly bred Rottweiler be okay with this?
Rottweilers are not as prey driven as a terrier or sight hound. However, if walking your dog outside your fenced yard it absolutely MUST be on a leash. It doesn't matter if your dog is 100% reliable and visits cancer kids in hospitals every week. People will see it as a Rottweiler running at large with another irresponsible owner. It is a discrimination that Rottweiler owners face everyday and the only way to combat it is to be 100x more responsible than any other dog owner. Is it fair? Nope. Is it true? Yep. When getting a Rottweiler it's best to grow a thick skin and deal. The attitude is not going anywhere anytime soon thanks to all the idiot Rottie owners who have let their dogs do horrendous things.

Quote:
My thoughts are that proper treatment, training, socialization, and breeder selection of the dog will have greater impacts than the dog's breed. That said, is there anything of a rottweiler that would prevent it from fulfilling our wants?

I really like a lot of the positive traits that the Rottweiler has. A problem I have with smaller dogs (in my experiences) is they can be fear aggressive/defensive in scenarios because of their size, and we also have some mid-size wildlife that's in the area.

I suppose I could go to the rottweiler forum, but I've seen quite a bit of helpful and very knowledgeable people here, so I thought I'd ask. Any experiences/opinions are also welcome/appreciated.

Thanks.
It must be remembered that a Rottweiler isn't, and should not be, a Labrador Retriever in a black and tan coat. It is not a dog for the novice owner who wants a dog that loves everyone and lets everyone take liberties with it. It is a working dog whose ancestors drove cattle over the Alps for the Roman Army and protected their owners from thieves before there was such as thing as police. It has a mind and body that needs to think and do things. It NEEDS a firm, fair, consistent leader that sets clear boundaries on its behavior but who knows how to channel the drives and instincts it has into something productive instead of just trying to suppress them.

I would really encourage you to go to the Rottweiler forum. The people there are very, very knowledgeable and several are breeds.

One very short, very important tip on breeder selection:
Immediately eliminate any breeder that doesn't have the following health certifications:
-OFA/OVC hips
-OFA/OVC elbows
-OFA cardiac (preferably performed by a cardiologist) YEARLY!
-CERF eye
This is "do not pass go, do not collect $200." Just immediately cut any breeder that can't provide you with these certification numbers off from any further consideration, period. Don't waste time on a breeder who can't even do these basics.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've owned a few in the past 30 years (I was looking at some old paperwork the other day and I got my first one in 1981 for my 16th birthday ).
Mine were all very well socialized, I was in high school and college when they were young and they went everywhere I could take them. They were big goof balls. I got AKC obedience titles and ATTS temperament testing done with the local Rottweiler club. I really loved them, but for competition dogs they are a bit too plodding. They can also be pretty hard headed (especially the males) and every few months just dig their heels in on some inane matter. But overall I really like them, as does my husband (he had 1 or 2 along the way as well, usually dogs that clients couldn't handle and gave to him).
On the other hand, my sister in law imported a SchH3 female back in the day and that dog was serious and not to be messed with, ever. I got along fine with the dog, but I respected her and never tried to be in charge when I dog sat for them.
Research, research, research any breeder you are considering .

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
x11
Banned

is it true that the modern rottweiler is a re-created breed from a small number of remnant dogs?

if so breed characteristics as angelas stated eg droving cattle across the Alps may be a bit overstated??
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
is it true that the modern rottweiler is a re-created breed from a small number of remnant dogs?
No.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

My experience with them is that they will be perfectly gracious hosts as long as those visitors are accepted in by their people. Someone walking on to your property may very well be let on to it but may not be allowed to exit it, and a Rottie will stop the exit if it wants to.
Kath & Clan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
No.

ok then.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I thought they were farm dogs--- hauled small carts as well as general guarding of the farm?

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You've already gotten some great advice,but most of my experience with Rotties has been through rescue. I've had a few of them over the years and they were great dogs. If you are looking for a dog who will let your family come and go without you present,I am not sure how that will work out with this breed,unless the dog knows them.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.