People, Their Kids, and My Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry People, Their Kids, and My Dog

Ugh. I have decided I do not like my new neighbors' kids.

It all started last Monday. My husband let the dogs out to potty, and these 2 boys, about 6 and 8, came into our yard and started petting Moxy and Crow and trying to get them to play. My husband told them that we were not able to play, but if they saw us outside, they could ask to play with Crow sometime. Their dad steps out the back door and is pretty nice and polite, but he doesn't ask them to leave the dogs alone. He just comments on how he likes GSD's. Awesome, then get one for you house.

Anyway, yesterday, the 2 kids walk over to our house and knock on the back door, sending Crow and Mox into a furious barking frenzy. They ask to play with Crow and Mox, and I told them no because we were not outside to supervise. Then, the oldest grabbed Moxy's head and said, "What about this one? She looks like she would listen." I grabbed Moxy and pulled her back and told them that Moxy only listens to me and my husband. Then, they proceeded to pick up her Chuck-It stick and wave it about, asking if they could play with that. Mox loves her chuck-it stick and ball...and she started getting riled up while I'm trying to hold her. I told them to put the chuck it stick down because it was a dog toy, and they could not play with it. So, they leave. An hour later, they return, saying their friend was visiting and wanted to play with the dogs. My husband told them again that we were not going to be out with the dogs today.

WHERE ARE THESE KIDS' PARENTS?!?!?!?!?! WHO LET'S THEIR KIDS GO TO STRANGERS' HOUSES AND ASK TO PLAY WITH THEIR DOGS!!!

We don't have a fenced in backyard because it hasn't been feasible for us, and we never needed it. Both dogs are good on recall and stay in the yard, and we never let them out without going out with them. Now, I have to get a fence for the backyard. Not to keep my dogs in, but to keep other people out and protect my dogs, and keep us out of trouble. This is ridiculous!!! I am so angry!! Plus, I have to get a curtain for my back door, which I have needed before. I feel like a prisoner in my own house, now.

We haven't talked to the parents yet because we aren't quite sure what to say. We'd try to be polite, but what would come out would be, "GET YOUR KIDS THEIR OWN $@%*$#@ DOG! THEY ARE $35 AT THE LOCAL POUND!!!! AND WHAT KIND OF PARENT ARE YOU?!?! YOU DON'T KNOW US AND LET YOUR KIDS COME KNOCK ON OUR DOOR?!"

Rant over. I'm still peeved. I have never had a problem out in public with kids approaching Moxy and Crow, or with people, but this is ridiculous. It is a serious violation of personal space!

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feel for you! I would feel the same way if new neighbors kids did that.

Kinda sounds like these kids are bored with inattentive parents. Hope you can get it worked out with the parents easily.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know how you feel. We have a summer house, and the house next to us is a seasonal rental. We get a different family in there each week. Our yards are separated by a chain link fence, but I have had to speak to kids on numerous occasions. They love to stick things through the chain link at Wolfie and charge the fence at him, and tease him. A lot of times, they are French Canadian and the little ones sometimes don't speak much english. You really should go speak with the parents. Good luck.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I know how you feel. We have a summer house, and the house next to us is a seasonal rental. We get a different family in there each week. Our yards are separated by a chain link fence, but I have had to speak to kids on numerous occasions. They love to stick things through the chain link at Wolfie and charge the fence at him, and tease him. A lot of times, they are French Canadian and the little ones sometimes don't speak much english. You really should go speak with the parents. Good luck.
I don't know how you stay sane with all that. I am pretty protective of my dogs, almost on the same level as my kids. I'm not sure what to say to the parents without sounding like THAT PERSON, and it's obvious they don't worry about the well-being of their kids. Plus, I'm not sure I could be very diplomatic about it. I'm usually pretty tactful, but this situation has pushed me to my limit in a very short amount of time.

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had this problem when I first moved in with Matt. The neighbors' kids started coming over any time they got bored or saw me in the yard. I always tried to be nice but it really irked me. On top of that, Matt still had the labradoodle at the time and they wanted nothing to do with that pup. Just Koda (who only TOLERATES kids).
When I finally said something to the parents they just kind of shrugged and told me that's just how kids are. -_- I tried to warn them that Koda can be territorial, that she doesn't like children, etc. But they stuck by the fact that the kids weren't hurting anyone and "kids will be kids." After that the kids started climbing the backyard fence if they saw us back there, or if I didn't answer the front door. I mean... REALLY!?!?

It all finally stopped when one of the ADULTS just strutted right into the house with the kids to grab Koda to go play, while I was napping on the couch. Rude much?
One time Koda is unstable: When I'm asleep and random people she doesn't know walk in my house without Matt. Naturally she flipped out and nearly attacked them. They were only saved by my ninja-like reflexes that let me catch her collar as she lunged over the couch after the dad.
Needless to say, we no longer deal with them.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I had this problem when I first moved in with Matt. The neighbors' kids started coming over any time they got bored or saw me in the yard. I always tried to be nice but it really irked me. On top of that, Matt still had the labradoodle at the time and they wanted nothing to do with that pup. Just Koda (who only TOLERATES kids).
When I finally said something to the parents they just kind of shrugged and told me that's just how kids are. -_- I tried to warn them that Koda can be territorial, that she doesn't like children, etc. But they stuck by the fact that the kids weren't hurting anyone and "kids will be kids." After that the kids started climbing the backyard fence if they saw us back there, or if I didn't answer the front door. I mean... REALLY!?!?

It all finally stopped when one of the ADULTS just strutted right into the house with the kids to grab Koda to go play, while I was napping on the couch. One time Koda is unstable: When I'm asleep and random people she doesn't know walk in my house without Matt. Naturally she flipped out and nearly attacked them. They were only saved by my ninja-like reflexes that let me catch her collar as she lunged over the couch after the dad.
Needless to say, we no longer deal with them.
HOLY COW! I think I would have called the police and reported harassment...and trespassing. Talk about invasion of personal space!! Oh my goodness!! I'm glad you're okay!!

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

how were the kids able to walk into your yard and
pet your dogs if someone was in the yard with them?
sounds like the kids were being kids but they should
be supervised. why don't you speak with your neighbors
and tell them you don't want the kids entering your yard
and playing with the dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post

It all started last Monday. My husband let the dogs out to potty, and these 2 boys, about 6 and 8, came into our yard and started petting Moxy and Crow and trying to get them to play. My husband told them that we were not able to play, but if they saw us outside, they could ask to play with Crow sometime.

We don't have a fenced in backyard because it hasn't been feasible for us, and we never needed it. Both dogs are good on recall and stay in the yard,

>>>>and we never let them out without going out with them.<<<<
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
HOLY COW! I think I would have called the police and reported harassment...and trespassing. Talk about invasion of personal space!! Oh my goodness!! I'm glad you're okay!!
Well, I could handle the kids. I figured that once the novelty of a new neighborhood dog wore off they'd leave us alone.
The dad walking in with them on the other hand... Let's just say I'm glad my girl doesn't have the personality of a golden We did report it, but those neighbors won't even look at our home/yard now. I guess they wouldn't take my word for Koda not being a dog to toy with.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
how were the kids able to walk into your yard and
pet your dogs if someone was in the yard with them?
sounds like the kids were being kids but they should
be supervised. why don't you speak with your neighbors
and tell them you don't want the kids entering your yard
and playing with the dogs.
My husband was out there with the dogs. The back yard is narrow between our house and the backdoor neighbor's house. So, the kids were easily able to run up to our dogs before my husband was able to get to them. Their back door is almost on the property line, and our back porch is further from our property line. So, we are out there with them, and we watch them, but we aren't right beside them when they potty.

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like you'll need to build a privacy fence. All the talking in the world will not make an impact on the kids' stupid parents.

I was one of those kids who would ask to play with my neighbors' dogs. I did however always ask first and respect fence/property lines. I used to sit for what felt for hours with a neighbor's Collie.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.