will she get cold - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

50-30 is not too cold for my GSDs, in fact it is about ideal (and they are house pets, not outdoor or kennel dogs). I go to Schutzhund training and we train from 8:30-5pm sometimes and the dogs are of course outside the whole time - I do not run my vehicle and heat it for them, lol. The main thing is that they are dry and have a place out of the wind when they are not being active (ie, the vehicle).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

hah funny story-A few years ago I ordered a sweater for my beagle and decided I should get one for Brenna too...The day it came, I took it outside to put it on her and she was jumping in and out of the horse trough looking thing we used to use to make sure they could cool down in the summer. It had several inches of slush in it. Now why did I just buy a coat for my dog who likes to play in slush?

I think the dog will be just fine, but if you are still really worried, bring a sweater for her. If you don't have one, I have made them by taking a kids (or small adult) sweatshirt with no hood or zipper and cut the sleeves in half, cut a small slit from the waist partway up the back to make two 'tails' then tie the tails in a knot to cinch it up closer to her stomach...I hope that made sense. :P I do this all the time if I see a cute toddler sweatshirt at walmart, I will buy it for my beagle.
Fezzik: Heinz 57 born Aug 2012
Cats: Samuel Adams, Jack Daniels, & Shooter
BrennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With mine---the colder it got, the better they liked it.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
tav

up date on the outing.....the temp. was 50 deg and went down to 40, as for the day it was just great at first she was aliittle wherey of some dogs but as the day went on they played wonderfully , couldn't ask for a better situation. i was really proud of her behavior .yea there where a few growls but that came from ....stay away from my stick ...lol. all toghter about 6 black labs a collie mix and one german shepard.and not one fight......perfect.
tav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Would have loved to see pics. Glad everything went well.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

My dog is 5 months and we live in Edmonton Alberta Canada, were currently at about -10 during the day and my dog looooves it, I have to make him come in. I am more then sure he will be fine, he will be running and playing. Just bring something for pup to lay on go keep his tummy warm and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Doucette.sn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tav View Post
up date on the outing.....the temp. was 50 deg and went down to 40, as for the day it was just great at first she was aliittle wherey of some dogs but as the day went on they played wonderfully , couldn't ask for a better situation. i was really proud of her behavior .yea there where a few growls but that came from ....stay away from my stick ...lol. all toghter about 6 black labs a collie mix and one german shepard.and not one fight......perfect.
Awesome! Glad to hear, I was going to add that a blanket or two should be fine... also you may want to invest in a doggy backpack. 1) it'll tire her out and 2) she can help carry her stuff!!!!

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.