will she get cold - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What?! Too bad if your dog gets cold? Dog fights happen? Really?
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
tav

for one thing i didn't say to bad if my dog gets cold so your wrong on that one, and yes there are other dogs up there and we all watch are dogs close but there are times when dogs don't get along and that when we step in....
so read before you comment....thank you
tav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I usually rub my pups belly to see if she's cold and feel her ears. If they aren't warm to the touch then the pup is likely cold...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tav View Post
every year the day after thanksgiving we go up the mountain for a party fest, gonna be there all day leave around 6pm or so . it should be around the 30's toward the night time ...gonna bring jasmine and just wondering if she'll be feeling the cold elements, don't think she has her winter coat yet.....yea call me a worried dad but i just want her to feel warm.
think she'll do ok?

If you go without a jacket, then you can easily know if your dog gets too cold. If you are ok, then she will be as well.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think she'll be fine. Dogs (well, dogs with real coats like GSDs ) do better in the cold than we do and 30s isn't really that bad, particularly if it is dry and sunny. If you have snow there one of the big things I'd watch out for is chilled or irritated paw pads. Ice can catch in the hairs between the pads and hurt, and too much wet/cold can cause the skin to crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I usually rub my pups belly to see if she's cold and feel her ears. If they aren't warm to the touch then the pup is likely cold...
This is what I do too. I also watch for behavioral signs like a normally independent dog wanting to cuddle and climb in my lap as I notice they all tend to get a lot more lovey-dovey when they're cold.

If the dog starts to shiver, it definitely needs to be warmed up but it's also not the end of the world. Vigorously rubbing the dog (particularly with a blanket or fleece) can help warm it up until you can get it out of the weather. Just like with people, too, exercise can help--play some fetch or something if you think she's getting chilled. Wrapping her in a blanket or putting her on a bed/in a vehicle will also help.

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 11-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband and I hike all year with our boy. His favorite time really seems to be in the winter. We may do an overnight hike this weekend. We keep him in the tent with us at night, he sleeps at our feet on a sleeping bag, he doesn't want to be covered.

I put mushers secret on his paw pads all year because we are pretty active with him and we cover alot of ground surface. Mushers Secret-all season paw protection for your dog

My boy is an inside dog so his coat is different than it would be if he lived outdoors. We just use common sense and rest when we need to, take a break and use shelter if it's too windy.

Now days and nights when the high or low is under 20 we do not go out for hikes....because I don't want to be out there!
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
What?! Too bad if your dog gets cold? Dog fights happen? Really?

Really?

Sometimes as much as we baby them, we have to remember that we have DOGS, and a breed in particular that is much heartier than we give them credit for. They may not be able to sit in 40 degree water for hours like a lab, or survive in the arctic like a husky....but not very far off.

And unless you plan on your dog being completely isoloted their entire life....dogfights can occur most are not that bad, but like most people on this board, I have seen the sweetest dogs turn in an instant. It happens its one of the risks we and other dog owners take.
NoVAGSDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVAGSDGuy View Post
Really?

Sometimes as much as we baby them, we have to remember that we have DOGS, and a breed in particular that is much heartier than we give them credit for. They may not be able to sit in 40 degree water for hours like a lab, or survive in the arctic like a husky....but not very far off.

And unless you plan on your dog being completely isoloted their entire life....dogfights can occur most are not that bad, but like most people on this board, I have seen the sweetest dogs turn in an instant. It happens its one of the risks we and other dog owners take.

Wonder if GSD police K9's have little sweaters to wear?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Cookie is a couple months old, and he slept outside in -20c/-4f on just a blanket. They are tough dogs.

We also had a stray shepherd come to our drilling rig in -40c once before But that dog slept on top of a steam hose we had outside. It was the funniest thing to see because she had an inch of snow on her, but she was warm none the less.
Walperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

A dog bed and a blanket - just in case - is all you should need.

I live in the 4th coldest capital (remember that thread ha ha!) and Kyleigh as been fine in -35 weather. (Me, not so much ... ) Mind you we are walking / running ... moving. But even on nice days at only -15 there are plenty of times that she just likes to sit in the snow in the backyard and "be." I check on her regularly ... and all she has to do it bark once, and she comes back in. She can be out there for a good hour or two and she's perfectly fine.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.