German Shepherds Forum banner

Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like?

11K views 123 replies 60 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 · (Edited)
If your significant other wanted a certain breed of dog that you didn't like,would you tell them that they couldn't have that dog? This is assuming that they are responsible and it won't interrupt the household. I've heard of some men saying things like they will pick out the dog because they want a 'Man's Dog'. To me this is nothing,but non sense. Everyone is entitled to like certain breeds or not,but I don't think any breed determines how much of a man/woman someone is.

If they did get the dog,would you treat it differently? I am not talking about abuse of course.

#6 ·
I can think of a few breeds (chow,akita,presa, any LSG to name a few) I would have reservations over, TBH. Provided proper research and such, I'd be more than happy to welcome the new furkid. I do not dislike any breed, but some have care requirements that need a little more thought beforehand IMO.

#7 ·
As long as he understood it was HIS dog, and that it would not be my responsibility to train, vet, etc. it. Don't get me wrong... I would help him with food/vet expenses if he needed or wanted me to just like he helps me. But I won't be responsible for it.

The breed he wants beyond anything is an English bulldog. He's done enough research to know the health issues, expenses, excercise/training needs, etc to own and raise one properly. I personally dislike them. But he used to HATE GSDs, and he gave Koda a shot anyways and now likes them. Sooo it's only fair :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I'm not the boss of my husband. He isn't the boss of me. We are a team.

#11 ·
See why being single has its good points.

Not only do I have to get a husband on board with what dogs I want, I do not have to put up with any breed that I do not want. Of course there is no one to help pay for or care for them.

This is one of the reasons I say if I get married at this stage in the game, he will have to move in down the street somewhere. I need my space.

#15 ·
See why being single has its good points.

Not only do I have to get a husband on board with what dogs I want, I do not have to put up with any breed that I do not want. Of course there is no one to help pay for or care for them.

This is one of the reasons I say if I get married at this stage in the game, he will have to move in down the street somewhere. I need my space.
:rofl:
:thumbup:

#12 ·
There's a Saint Bernard drooling on my slippers right now. 'Nuff said... I didn't want another dog period and dh is never home. Case in point, I last saw him Thursday at midnight and he's still an hour away. But now, I do adore Dolly, despite the mountains of hair, the drool, the food - OMG can she eat!
There is no "letting" in our relationship. I do as I wish and he may ask permission to do other things, which I deny, then pretend I came up with the idea on my own as a surprise for him ;) Just kidding, a Saint or Newf has always been his dream dog, he grew up with one, he wanted one and what's another gigantic mouth to feed. Our goals and dreams may not always be exactly the same but we support one another and put up with what we have to.

#14 ·
I will always have MY dog. She can have whatever she wants as well. There arent really any breeds I dont like it all depends on the dog. If its a good dog awsome if its a nightmare, hit the road lol

#16 ·
Honestly... it depends on the breed. And the guy.

Right now, I would say no to an akita, husky, chow chow, basenji, shiba inu, and a whole horde of other breeds, simply because knowing my past bfs, I would be the one doing all the work. I don't like stubborn breeds.
Now, if the guy I was with showed that he has dedication and I had NO doubts that he'd take care of his dog, then he could have whatever he wanted.

Now y'all just gotta find me a guy I won't doubt will be dedicated to his pet! LOL

#19 ·
No.

:p Just kidding! I'd have 100% no issue with it as long as he's willing to provide 50% of the care. I'm the type of person to where I'll help out and do half of the care even if it isn't mine or partially mine just because I love dogs. As far as expenses, if I'm caring for my dogs on my own salary, he'd have to do the same with his. If he helps me out, I'd match what he helps me with with his dog(s). Luckily, I have a boyfriend who lives at home still and don't have that to worry about at the moment. ;) He likes GSDs, anyways so chances are, it would be another GSD if he got one. He's also more of a cat person, which is okay with me, too because I LOVE and adore cats. :)

#20 ·
I don't think I will come across this issue any time soon since we do have the rescue dogs. My and I were talking about getting another personal dog,but I don't we will for a while. He's a animal guy anyway,so I guess that makes it easy for me. We always have plenty of variety coming through here and so that seems to take care of any 'desired breeds' for right now.

#21 ·
Trying to get a personal ad set up:

SF looking for unmarried, unattached guy with no major hangups for a meaningful relationship. Must LOVE dogs. Must not own any dogs (I have enough). Must work, make plenty of money, and have no bills (I have that covered too). Must enjoy the outdoors, lots of exercise, lots of walking and be willing to take along one or more dog. Must enjoy football, but must not be a Baltimore Ravens, NE Patriots, or Denver Broncos fan.

Is there hope???

I didn't think so.

#23 ·
Trying to get a personal ad set up:

SF looking for unmarried, unattached guy with no major hangups for a meaningful relationship. Must LOVE dogs. Must not own any dogs (I have enough). Must work, make plenty of money, and have no bills (I have that covered too). Must enjoy the outdoors, lots of exercise, lots of walking and be willing to take along one or more dog. Must enjoy football, but must not be a Baltimore Ravens, NE Patriots, or Denver Broncos fan.

Is there hope???

I didn't think so.
OMG ... you had me in stitches!

My ad would be the same with the exception of the sport ... MUST love hockey, and CANNOT be a Leafs or Habs fan!!

I've already admitted that I"m likely to be single for the rest of my life ... why do you think I bought a house with my dad!!!!

As for the question in this thread ... íf it were likely, I wouldn't "let" him ... I don't like that word ... simply because I would do what I wanted anyway (see why I'm single LOL) ... however, if it was a small dog (i.e. chihuahua, yorkie or something like that) I would tease him endlessly before he got the dog so he would eventually change his mind, and come to "my side" of the fence! I'm NOT a fan of small dogs - that's why I have a cat!

#22 ·
I don't particularly care for the word 'let' when used with the word "spouse" because IMHO you are a team, not a parent/child relationship where you let one do the other or give them permission to to something.

I am lucky that my DH and I have pretty similar taste in dogs, and he's easy going enough that we don't really have any dog conflicts. He's always wanted a BIG dog. Some kind of mastiff type dog. Big, lazy, drooling beast of a dog. YUCK. I could not think of anything more disgusting than a 150 or 200 lb english mastiff flinging drool all over our walls, TV, furniture, etc. But if he REALLY made a case for one I would be willing to consider it. The bottom line though is that everyone has to be comfortable with the animal and if one is so unhappy with X breed for legitimate reasons, then their opinion should be taken into consideration.

#24 · (Edited)
Why are so many people getting hung up on the the word 'let' ?

It was in single quotations on the subject title. Single quotations are sometimes used as scare quotes, that is, as a way of emphasizing a word or phrase to indicate the writer is using it somewhat ironically.

Def. from Wikipedia:
Scare quotes are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to imply that it may not signify its apparent meaning or that it is not necessarily the way the quoting person would express its concept.

To me, the question was whether or not you would accept (be OK with, agree to have) a breed you don't care for in your house. It had nothing to do with whether or not you boss your spouse around.

#26 ·
Perhaps you should have used a different term in place of "let" if you did not want people to answer the question as posed.

The word let, in general society, implies the giving of permission to do something. Quotes, even in your own definition, may or may not mean something else, and does not necessarily mean what you meant it to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.