German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/194565-would-you-let-your-spouse-get-dog-breed-you-didnt-like.html)

Gharrissc 11-17-2012 06:58 PM

Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like?

If your significant other wanted a certain breed of dog that you didn't like,would you tell them that they couldn't have that dog? This is assuming that they are responsible and it won't interrupt the household. I've heard of some men saying things like they will pick out the dog because they want a 'Man's Dog'. To me this is nothing,but non sense. Everyone is entitled to like certain breeds or not,but I don't think any breed determines how much of a man/woman someone is.

If they did get the dog,would you treat it differently? I am not talking about abuse of course.

PatchonGSD 11-17-2012 07:03 PM

I'd have to let my husband get what he wanted because in all fairness, if he had said no to a GSD, I would have told him to *kiss it* and got my GSD anyway.

Capone22 11-17-2012 07:04 PM

As long as he's up to help take care of it. Except a chow.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Stevenzachsmom 11-17-2012 07:07 PM

I could love any dog breed, so it wouldn't really matter what my husband chose.

Sunflowers 11-17-2012 07:14 PM

179 Attachment(s)
No.

Good thing for me that he wanted a GSD even more than I did.

But I am the primary caretaker and do 99% of the care and work, so I would have had to like the breed.

ShenzisMom 11-17-2012 07:23 PM

I can think of a few breeds (chow,akita,presa, any LSG to name a few) I would have reservations over, TBH. Provided proper research and such, I'd be more than happy to welcome the new furkid. I do not dislike any breed, but some have care requirements that need a little more thought beforehand IMO.

GsdLoverr729 11-17-2012 07:30 PM

As long as he understood it was HIS dog, and that it would not be my responsibility to train, vet, etc. it. Don't get me wrong... I would help him with food/vet expenses if he needed or wanted me to just like he helps me. But I won't be responsible for it.

The breed he wants beyond anything is an English bulldog. He's done enough research to know the health issues, expenses, excercise/training needs, etc to own and raise one properly. I personally dislike them. But he used to HATE GSDs, and he gave Koda a shot anyways and now likes them. Sooo it's only fair :rolleyes:

Lilie 11-17-2012 07:31 PM

I'm not the boss of my husband. He isn't the boss of me. We are a team.

Gregc 11-17-2012 07:32 PM

Yes. We don't do the 'let' thing.

Carriesue 11-17-2012 07:36 PM

My husband only likes mutts from the pound so can't really see any reason to disagree with that. :) I'd just want one that would fit with our family is all.

Our next dog is going to be his pick, the last three have been mine, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App