Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #71 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We are a team. I don't think he (or I, for that matter) would bring in something that the other doesn't like. This goes for pets as well. We both sat at the dining room table for months when we decided to get a dog back in early 2011 (shortly after the loss of my golden retriever).

If he wanted a specific breed (and another dog in the house), then I would listen to him and his reasons... also what plans he had to care for it. IF they were something I saw working within our home, he had good reasons for getting it, AND if we were financially stable for it..... I think I would. BUT, it would be HIS dog... I simply don't have the time to work with another at the moment. That would fall onto him. And he'd have to understand that if it didn't work out in the house... the dogs that were here first, come first... he would have to rehome the dog.

I don't see it happening though... we are pretty dead set on the working breeds. Both of us enjoy the same breed traits.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
Your dog is still a pup, things might change, consistency the first 2 years is paramount, one day the switch will go off in his head to leave the cat alone. As to the other things, I too hate the stench of cat excrement, but with the right litter box, far enough away from my dining table, I can handle it.
Yes I understand that she is a pup thats why I will wait till she is a year old but the cat is young too and I just cannot imagine for the next 10 years living like we do now. The cat has a litter box thats closed meaning it has a lid on top, when cat is done with her business she comes out of her room jumping on the kitchen table smelling like litterbox. I am very clean person my house is very well taken care of and for her to do that is absolutely disgusting...but im am tolerating it... been tolerating it for too long but still not giving up like I said I will continue to train without shock collar. Not to mention I had enough fights with my husband about this.We have been happily married for more than 4 years and over all been together for 6 years. Now we are fighting over a CAT?My husband always working he never has to do any work for the cat or the dog so all the pressure of seperating the cat and dog is on me. Its just SO frustrating. And honestely I don't want to give up the cat I just want them to get along, my cat is very cute and sweet she is my cuddle buddy when i watch tv or do homework The only way the dog leaves cat alone is when using shock collar, my husband wants it that way i refuse to put a shock collar.... its a never ending argument and nothing is getting better, except the dog is getting bigger and boy I feel sorry for the cat...

Last edited by julie87; 11-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #73 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Yes I understand that she is a pup thats why I will wait till she is a year old but the cat is young too and I just cannot imagine for the next 10 years living like we do now. The cat has a litter box thats closed meaning it has a lid on top, when cat is done with her business she comes out of her room jumping on the kitchen table smelling like litterbox. I am very clean person my house is very well taken care of and for her to do that is absolutely disgusting...but im am tolerating it... been tolerating it for too long but still not giving up like I said I will continue to train without shock collar. Not to mention I had enough fights with my husband about this.We have been happily married for more than 4 years and over all been together for 6 years. Now we are fighting over a CAT?My husband always working he never has to do any work for the cat or the dog so all the pressure of seperating the cat and dog is on me. Its just SO frustrating. And honestely I don't want to give up the cat I just want them to get along, my cat is very cute and sweet she is my cuddle buddy when i watch tv or do homework The only way the dog leaves cat alone is when using shock collar, my husband wants it that way I don't i refuse to put a shock collar.... its a never ending argument and nothing is getting better, except the dog is getting bigger and boy I feel sorry for the cat...
Where do you live in Cali? I would take the cat rather then having it go to the shelter or worse. I have other cats, I love them and would give him/her a good life. But my golden harassed the cats when he was younger, he's a year old now and completely ignores them.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #74 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This probably would be a good solution.That way the cat is out of her house and she can just focus on her dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Where do you live in Cali? I would take the cat rather then having it go to the shelter or worse. I have other cats, I love them and would give him/her a good life.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #75 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal

There wouldn't be any "his" or "her" dog(s). We'd have OUR dogs.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Wow yeah I'm such a terrible person did I already mention I tried to train the dog? I tried for 5 months. You can look at it however you want my dog is my priority I don't want to use a shock collar on her an do don't want risking her eyes being scratched out. The cat has her own room in the house with litter box food water and treats and a huge bed with blankets. The cat won't stay there and would come out even though the dog attacks her (playfully) my dog tries to play with cat but obvisolisely she is really rough on her, I don't want them BOTH to get hurt. Should i make it my full time job separating them all day? If I get another dog i will be twice as happy I loved dogs ever since I was a kid you cannot compare these two animals if you really love your dogs you can understand why. The cat will be better off in the shelter because its SAFE there. I called all friends and family and none of them want a cat because they either have one or they have dogs.putting her on craigslist is dsngerous because im afraid of animal abuse...And you tell me to etheunize my own cat? end her life? Are you feeling ok today freestep? And what would you do in my situation if YOUR dog was at risk?
Re-read your own posts. Your contradictions make them darkly humorous.

You trained a puppy for five whole months and expect everything to be solved? I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've got years to go--scratch that--a lifetime.

You hate the cat and want to get rid of it, but you don't want to do the dirty deed yourself--you want someone else to do it. You'd rather imagine some scenario where the cat doesn't languish in a shelter and die anyway? That's mighty comforting if you can believe it.

And that will be my final contribution to you while I can still be nice enough not to get banned.

Let's get back to the original subject.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Re-read your own posts. Your contradictions make them darkly humorous.

You trained a puppy for five whole months and expect everything to be solved? I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've got years to go--scratch that--a lifetime.

You hate the cat and want to get rid of it, but you don't want to do the dirty deed yourself--you want someone else to do it. You'd rather imagine some scenario where the cat doesn't languish in a shelter and die anyway? That's mighty comforting if you can believe it.

And that will be my final contribution to you while I can still be nice enough not to get banned.

Let's get back to the original subject.
I cannot take advise from a person who is so closed minded and refusing to understand another human being. What you dont get is i cannot spend 10 years fighting with my husband and separating my pets. What training am I suppose to do?!!!! Come on tell me?!! I have tried everything! I'm glad this was your final contribution have a nice day Freestep
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Where do you live in Cali? I would take the cat rather then having it go to the shelter or worse. I have other cats, I love them and would give him/her a good life. But my golden harassed the cats when he was younger, he's a year old now and completely ignores them.
He ignores them now? That definately brings me hope I'm very far away from you but thank you for the kind gesture like I said now its a matter of time I hope they get along when my pup matures.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did you read my post Julie? My pup is 17 months and is just now getting better. And it is taking steady steady consistent training.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #80 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You are going to have to be more proactive in making sure your dog doesn't chase your cat,even though it's just playing. Hoping that it will get better won't solve the problem. I have two indoor cats and one of them LOVES the dogs,but my oldest cat likes them on her terms.Some of my dogs have needed a collar to proof them on not chasing the cats,but others have just needed verbal. It depends on the dog. You may not be able to ever leave them together when you leave the house,but you can get your dog to leave the cat alone in your presence. If you really want to make it work,then I would just contact a trainer. You had a good offer to rehome,now you don't want to. You can't have it both ways.

As far as keeping the cat off your tables, you can use a spray bottle. My cats don't jump on the counters that much even though I don't care if they do. It's also important to give your cat their own things to climb,that usually helps with getting on tables/counters as well.

Quote:
What training am I suppose to do?!!!!
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.