Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #51 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm in a bit of a different situation as my DH is severely disabled (I'm his carer) so 'his' dog, is my dog. He really wants a Great Dane or English Mastiff and if it comes down to it, I wouldn't say no. But I am more practical and tend to think of things like how the size alone would limit us.

In saying that though, he doesn't particulary like GSD
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master Member

I cannot understand why any person wouldn't like a GSD, the best dog in the world unless there was some traumatic experience of course...But anyway. By any chance does your husband want a doberman? That what my husband has been saying lately. I don't know if I want a doberman or another GSD
Anyway let me share my situation that might be helful to you.

Me and my husband have a cat after about a year I begged him to get a GSD puppy but he wasn't really against it...but still i pushed him into getting one. Now, my dog is 7 months old and now I hate the cat and all cats in general.Why? Well because my dog and my cat always fight, the litter box is in the house, cat uses litter box then goes on the kitchen table to escape from the dog. It is absolutely disgusting. I constantely have to watch the cat to makek sure either the dog doesn't eat her or the cat doesn't scratch the eyes out. I told my husband IF the cat hurts the dog the cat is going to the shelter. Another reason I hate cats is because when I walk my dog she gets distracted by cats and is pulling on the leash and where I live its a flipping catville!! And what is the purpose of the cat really? They are complety useless just shedding in your house, poopin in your house, and fight with your dog. And don't even get me started on the training.... we have tried to the point where I had to get a shock collar becuase nothing that the trainer had told us to do ever worked... I feel like I have tried everything to make them friends but no results. And they knew each other since the dog was a small puppy. I told my husband I will not put a shock collar on the dog ever again becuase of stupid cat. My husband loves the cat and always tells me that before we got the dog I loved the cat.. its true. But I can't help what I feel, the cat can scratch the eyes out I do clip her nails but still....I don't need this unnecessary stress. My husband said take her to the shelter if you hate her so much, after that I felt really guilty...we still have the cat and they are still fighting and me and my husband still fight about this issue. I can't give up the cat because of my husband he still wants to train the dog I told him they will never change and I don't want to smell poop while im eating while the cat is doing her business. Anyway the reason I am telling you this is make sure you don't absolutely hate the breed because it just might cause fights in your marriage. But marriage is sacrifice... I told my husband I will wait until the dog is a year old if no changes then the cat will be going to the shelter.I honestely think they will never get along...hate cats..I can't even believe I used to like them, but when I got the dog everything changed she is my priority over any pet.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband and I need to be in agreement on big life decisions. Getting a puppy is a huge decision, and we would have to negotiate some kind of agreement for me to accept a dog breed I did not care for. Ultimately though, if it was something I felt strongly about my husband would not insist on it. And vice versa. Our relationship and being happy together is far more important to us than satisfying individual whims.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know, seems like a waste of a dog to get a breed I didn't like since there are plenty of breeds we both like.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #55 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Me and my husband have a cat after about a year I begged him to get a GSD puppy but he wasn't really against it...but still i pushed him into getting one. Now, my dog is 7 months old and now I hate the cat and all cats in general.Why? Well because my dog and my cat always fight, the litter box is in the house, cat uses litter box then goes on the kitchen table to escape from the dog. It is absolutely disgusting. I constantely have to watch the cat to makek sure either the dog doesn't eat her or the cat doesn't scratch the eyes out. I told my husband IF the cat hurts the dog the cat is going to the shelter. Another reason I hate cats is because when I walk my dog she gets distracted by cats and is pulling on the leash and where I live its a flipping catville!! And what is the purpose of the cat really? They are complety useless just shedding in your house, poopin in your house, and fight with your dog. And don't even get me started on the training.... we have tried to the point where I had to get a shock collar becuase nothing that the trainer had told us to do ever worked... I feel like I have tried everything to make them friends but no results. And they knew each other since the dog was a small puppy. I told my husband I will not put a shock collar on the dog ever again becuase of stupid cat. My husband loves the cat and always tells me that before we got the dog I loved the cat.. its true. But I can't help what I feel, the cat can scratch the eyes out I do clip her nails but still....I don't need this unnecessary stress. My husband said take her to the shelter if you hate her so much, after that I felt really guilty...we still have the cat and they are still fighting and me and my husband still fight about this issue. I can't give up the cat because of my husband he still wants to train the dog I told him they will never change and I don't want to smell poop while im eating while the cat is doing her business. Anyway the reason I am telling you this is make sure you don't absolutely hate the breed because it just might cause fights in your marriage. But marriage is sacrifice... I told my husband I will wait until the dog is a year old if no changes then the cat will be going to the shelter.I honestely think they will never get along...hate cats..I can't even believe I used to like them, but when I got the dog everything changed she is my priority over any pet.
I'm not one for "returning" an animal but REALLY? If you hate the cat that much it would likely be better off at a shelter than living in such a negative environment where the caregiver can't stand it ... WOW
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #56 (permalink)

Well since my husband and I are living under the same roof, the breeds that don't work for me wouldn't work for him because of our lifestyle, housing/yard, compatibility with our current dogs, and the climate here. Luckily he's not interested in any of the dogs I cannot stand.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #57 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thankfully, after two GSD, it is all my wife wants!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #58 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I'm not one for "returning" an animal but REALLY? If you hate the cat that much it would likely be better off at a shelter than living in such a negative environment where the caregiver can't stand it ... WOW
That was my feeling! What happens if you get another animal and you end up liking it better than the shepherd? Geez!! I'm not the world's biggest cat lover, either, but when I got my shepherds I sure didn't hate the cat for it! If you don't want the cat on the table, get a cat perch for the cat to use so it's out of the pup's way! Or... control your pup and TRAIN him to leave the cat alone. Use baby gates so the cat has a 'safe zone' for the litter box, food, rest, etc. We had baby gates all over for awhile to protect the cat from my pups. If you can't get over your new 'hate' of the cat, then please do rehome it. No living being needs to live with that negativity.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It was my husband's idea to get Shiloh Shepherds, thats as far away from GSD's as we will ever be.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #60 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
I cannot understand why any person wouldn't like a GSD, the best dog in the world unless there was some traumatic experience of course...But anyway. By any chance does your husband want a doberman? That what my husband has been saying lately. I don't know if I want a doberman or another GSD
Anyway let me share my situation that might be helful to you.

That whole story is really sad. When I met my husband over 20 years ago he hated cats, now he would probably choose a cat over a dog. When ever you take an animal in you really have to commit to the animal. It took almost 6 months for 1 of my dogs to accept the new kitten we brought home, yes it was a really trying time in a small house when the dog wanted to kill the cat. Sure it would have been easy to bring the kitten back, but I worked on the problems. Yes unfortunately the cat has to go on the counter or high place to get away from the dog. I get mad at the kitten when he bites Lakotas ear and she cries then wants to bite him. It's just like having children, you have to supervise. Hate is a strong word, but if thats really how you feel about that cat, you should find him/her a new home. Cats are not stupid and they can be taught.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.