Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Trying to get a personal ad set up:

SF looking for unmarried, unattached guy with no major hangups for a meaningful relationship. Must LOVE dogs. Must not own any dogs (I have enough). Must work, make plenty of money, and have no bills (I have that covered too). Must enjoy the outdoors, lots of exercise, lots of walking and be willing to take along one or more dog. Must enjoy football, but must not be a Baltimore Ravens, NE Patriots, or Denver Broncos fan.

Is there hope???

I didn't think so.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't particularly care for the word 'let' when used with the word "spouse" because IMHO you are a team, not a parent/child relationship where you let one do the other or give them permission to to something.

I am lucky that my DH and I have pretty similar taste in dogs, and he's easy going enough that we don't really have any dog conflicts. He's always wanted a BIG dog. Some kind of mastiff type dog. Big, lazy, drooling beast of a dog. YUCK. I could not think of anything more disgusting than a 150 or 200 lb english mastiff flinging drool all over our walls, TV, furniture, etc. But if he REALLY made a case for one I would be willing to consider it. The bottom line though is that everyone has to be comfortable with the animal and if one is so unhappy with X breed for legitimate reasons, then their opinion should be taken into consideration.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

SF looking for unmarried, unattached guy with no major hangups for a meaningful relationship. Must LOVE dogs. Must not own any dogs (I have enough). Must work, make plenty of money, and have no bills (I have that covered too). Must enjoy the outdoors, lots of exercise, lots of walking and be willing to take along one or more dog. Must enjoy football, but must not be a Baltimore Ravens, NE Patriots, or Denver Broncos fan.

Is there hope???

I didn't think so.
OMG ... you had me in stitches!

My ad would be the same with the exception of the sport ... MUST love hockey, and CANNOT be a Leafs or Habs fan!!

I've already admitted that I"m likely to be single for the rest of my life ... why do you think I bought a house with my dad!!!!

As for the question in this thread ... íf it were likely, I wouldn't "let" him ... I don't like that word ... simply because I would do what I wanted anyway (see why I'm single LOL) ... however, if it was a small dog (i.e. chihuahua, yorkie or something like that) I would tease him endlessly before he got the dog so he would eventually change his mind, and come to "my side" of the fence! I'm NOT a fan of small dogs - that's why I have a cat!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why are so many people getting hung up on the the word 'let' ?

It was in single quotations on the subject title. Single quotations are sometimes used as scare quotes, that is, as a way of emphasizing a word or phrase to indicate the writer is using it somewhat ironically.

Def. from Wikipedia:
Scare quotes are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to imply that it may not signify its apparent meaning or that it is not necessarily the way the quoting person would express its concept.

To me, the question was whether or not you would accept (be OK with, agree to have) a breed you don't care for in your house. It had nothing to do with whether or not you boss your spouse around.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 11-18-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

As long as it doesn't drool and drags it's ears over the floor...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Perhaps you should have used a different term in place of "let" if you did not want people to answer the question as posed.

The word let, in general society, implies the giving of permission to do something. Quotes, even in your own definition, may or may not mean something else, and does not necessarily mean what you meant it to be.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
As long as it doesn't drool and drags it's ears over the floor...
Drool is a near deal breaker for me. I just don't think I could live with a drooling dog. It's just so disgusting. And I don't want it flung everywhere.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

"she maybe a bitch but if that's what she wants
she can have it".
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

Is there hope???

I didn't think so.

You forgot, "and must find your own housing, preferably down the street."

LMAO. Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

BF doesn't like dogs and puts up with my GSD. I would also welcome any breed he likes if he does the work for his dog like I do for mine.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.