Would You 'Let' Your Spouse Get A Dog Breed You Didn't Like? - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #111 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Kind of what this thread is all about, having a dog that your spouse wants.

I think it depends on the people involved and the overall situation. I mean if someone travels 35% of the time, a lot of the dog-related stuff is going to fall on the non-traveller, so I think in such situations, they may have more pull. It isn't about "let" it is about respecting each other enough to accept that at this point, maybe having the type of dog I want doesn't make sense, as it will really put a lot on my spouse, etc. And if I know my husband (if I had one) was terrified of a certain type of dog, than I should have enough respect for him to not bring one home.

If they are already here, he's out of luck. We'll visit at his place down the street somewhere.
true enough. i lost sight of what this thread is all about.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #112 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Huntergreen, yes the dog leaves the cat when I say "leave it" or if she sees that im coming closer. I put her on a time out afterwards she behaves for some time. Then it's back to madness. Do u know what the cat must feel? All her life in the house she is escaping the dog and hiding on kitchen table and kitchen counters, and fridge. Then if say I'm in the bathroom I hear the cat screaming while the dog is attacking her, she is small and I'm sure the dog hurts her then I have to run to save her. Do you think I like clipping her claws? Heck no, she goes outside and she climbs trees.... I don't know what else to do but to get her away to a safer place.she doesn't have a good life with us. Our city has a huge shelter which is where I adopted her a year ago... The only time they behave is when a dog is asleep. I just can't imagine if the cat scratches the eyes out the dog will be blind for the rest of her life and the cat will be damaged as well. Attachment 22827 if only it was so peaceful all the time.
julie, don't know why but i keep thinking about your "problem". i don't believe pets should be disposable, but i am not there to see what is going on or how it is affecting you. maybe this is a situation where a new home for the cat would be better. if i had to rehome a cat, the first place i would think of are the many horse barns around by me. i hope you strive to place the cat and not bring him/her back to the shelter. good luck.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #113 (permalink)

Unfortunately, my husband likes breeds such as the boxer and bulldog, I abhor them. Boxers remind me of worried old men, something about the look on their faces, and bulldogs just seem useless. And they snore and have gas, nasty ears and skin. I love the herding breeds and have always had one or two in this group. But, I wouldn't stop him from getting his own as long as it was the 3rd dog. I like pairs of my favorites!
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #114 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Unfortunately, my husband likes breeds such as the boxer and bulldog, I abhor them. Boxers remind me of worried old men, something about the look on their faces, and bulldogs just seem useless. And they snore and have gas, nasty ears and skin. I love the herding breeds and have always had one or two in this group. But, I wouldn't stop him from getting his own as long as it was the 3rd dog. I like pairs of my favorites!
bull dogs and other dogs with similar faces remind me of pig and some remind of very overweight bitchy women... don't ask me why just how it is...
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #115 (permalink)

So on the opposite side of this question, would you insist on getting a dog your spouse doesn't like?

In a related story, I am going to Mississippi on Sunday to pick up my new girl. A 9 week old Liver Lancashire Heeler girl if all goes well (I will meet the pups and parents and decide if I like the temperament).

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #116 (permalink)

my wife said "absolutely not!!" I can never get a dog she doesn't like... however, she can get any breed she wants...LOL
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #117 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My husband doesn't have too many breeds he doesn't like,but I we were considering a 2 year old male Cattle Dog that couldn't stand my husband. He loved me,but didn't like him,so we decided against the adoption. My husband was ok with it,and was willing to work with him,but I just thought it would be too much to deal with. So to answer your question I wouldn't get a dog that didn't mesh with our household even though I know my husband wouldn't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
So on the opposite side of this question, would you insist on getting a dog your spouse doesn't like?

In a related story, I am going to Mississippi on Sunday to pick up my new girl. A 9 week old Liver Lancashire Heeler girl if all goes well (I will meet the pups and parents and decide if I like the temperament).
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Boxers remind me of worried old men, something about the look on their faces
Bahaha! That is a PERFECT description of a boxer! My fiance's family has a boxer. She's sweet as pie, but good lord is she ever goofy looking.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #119 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
my wife said "absolutely not!!" I can never get a dog she doesn't like... however, she can get any breed she wants...LOL
I'm very happy you can laugh about this! I'd be the exact same way ... that's why I'm not married I think
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #120 (permalink)

Personally, the use of the term, "let your spouse" sends all kind of negative messages to me. "Let"; does not indicate a level of partnership that, in my opinion, makes a happy marriage..

DFrost

DFrost
DFrost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.