will my untrained dog protect me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default will my untrained dog protect me?

My female is 5.5 months.. I dunno if she will protect me when threaten.
I dont want to take her in training because I dont want her being vicious. But yesterday whenni took her for a walk, this guy kinda went up to me to compliment her and she kinda started barking and growling, then she smelled him and licked him :O. He started laughing and I was thinking to myself if he would have attacked me would she rip his arms off lol?

Please reply!
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Abbi isnt trained in protection, is 3.5 years old and ive only had her for a year as of Nov 1. I have a 13 yr old brother who I was play fighting with one day. Well he was on the floor and I was pretending to kick him and Abbi got up and went after him on the ground as if protecting me. No REAL evidence but I am very confident she would protect me
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tommy my pup does the same! But she attacks me when my brother is play fighting with me lol. So what if an attacker triea to get me and she attacks me? Lmao. Omg ill die!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

haha well fingers crossed that will never happen! But yea when me and him wrestle and even if Im beating his butt she will go after him
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
My female is 5.5 months.. I dunno if she will protect me when threaten.

Please reply!
Most likely no. But there is no way to tell without an experienced trainer doing an evaluation.
Based on your description that sounds like a fear response to an approaching stranger. Generally a fearful dog will protect itself only. Occasionally they will bite to run someone off (nip and bolt) but won't truly engage.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

So boc, you think I should put her in some training? I mean for the past couple of days when she is in the back yard and someone walks pass she barks and barks until I come out. Hmmm..
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Tommy haha your dogs is gorrrgeous !! My dad swears my dogs are not gsd because its not then normal color you see lol.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Not all GSDs have the protection instinct in them. Some are by nature too fearful of timid to attack. A lot of aggressive behaviour that people think is protection is a fear reaction. Puppies have baby brains and baby emotional development (that's why they are puppies), and expecting a five or six month old to protect is like expecting a 10 year old human to attack and defend an adult. The pup (and same as the child) should never put in that situation. They should grow up happy and a carefree, confident that they are safe that adults will protect them if need be. A GSD will become protective at maturity, around 18 to 24 months of age.

There has been some good discussions in the past about protective behaviour. This thread has a lot of info about protectiveness vs. fear.

Protective or fearful?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you! Apollo and Shadow are both good looking pooches!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Awe well thanks. I dont expect my pups to go ahead and attack at a real young age jusy expecting them to know whats good or bad.. my dogs are protected by me thats why they treat me like im their mom though im not. Its just the matter of me wondering what to expect..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Not all GSDs have the protection instinct in them. Some are by nature too fearful of timid to attack. A lot of aggressive behaviour that people think is protection is a fear reaction. Puppies have baby brains and baby emotional development (that's why they are puppies), and expecting a five or six month old to protect is like expecting a 10 year old human to attack and defend an adult. The pup (and same as the child) should never put in that situation. They should grow up happy and a carefree, confident that they are safe that adults will protect them if need be. A GSD will become protective at maturity, around 18 to 24 months of age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.