will my untrained dog protect me? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master Member

Kelina, I don't know if you have seen this but this is a absolutely retarted video somebody posted on youtube saying that untrained dogs won't protect you. Video shows a girl being approached by a strange man and supposedely the train dogs attack but untrained don't. This vide is bs because the dogs probably don't even know the girl so why would they protect her? Im pretty sure the video was submitted by a dog training company notice the comments are disabled proably because most people know that GSD doesn't have to be trained to protect as long as they are not abused and not over socialized and the person they are "protecting" is their owner and not a random person.

Last edited by julie87; 11-18-2012 at 03:58 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Kelina, I don't know if you have seen this but this is a absolutely retarted video somebody posted on youtube saying that untrained dogs won't protect you. Video shows a girl being approached by a strange man and supposedely the train dogs attack but untrained don't. This vide is bs because the dogs probably don't even know the girl so why would they protect her?
The video was a school project by the child in the video. I'm guessing the girl is the child of one of the trainers at the company used in the video. If she's anything like my daughter was at that age, every school project ended up being about our dogs and GSDs in general. The video kind of shows the difference in a trained vs untrained dog but in the most basic way. The helper work is pretty sloppy and amateurish to say the least, but it was not meant to be for training purposes.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #83 (permalink)
Elite Member

kellina, i had the nicest gsd in the eighties. loved everyone but always looked after my wife. he was trained in obedience only, yet when i would see some one the dog didn't know or trust, he would always put himself between my wife and that person. when a strange guy approached her on our deck, our gsd was in front of him in a "flash" barking and teeth glaring along with his hackles up. . i have no doubt he would have protected her. with out training you won't know unless you find your self in the wrong place at the wrong time. of course, who is going to bother anyone while walking two gsds.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Kelina, I don't know if you have seen this but this is a absolutely retarted video somebody posted on youtube saying that untrained dogs won't protect you. Video shows a girl being approached by a strange man and supposedely the train dogs attack but untrained don't. This vide is bs because the dogs probably don't even know the girl so why would they protect her? Im pretty sure the video was submitted by a dog training company notice the comments are disabled proably because most people know that GSD doesn't have to be trained to protect as long as they are not abused and not over socialized and the person they are "protecting" is their owner and not a random person.
Will an untrained dog protect it's owner? www.BobsDogs.com - YouTube
Yup I seen this like 20 times, thats what made me wander
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
kellina, i had the nicest gsd in the eighties. loved everyone but always looked after my wife. he was trained in obedience only, yet when i would see some one the dog didn't know or trust, he would always put himself between my wife and that person. when a strange guy approached her on our deck, our gsd was in front of him in a "flash" barking and teeth glaring along with his hackles up. . i have no doubt he would have protected her. with out training you won't know unless you find your self in the wrong place at the wrong time. of course, who is going to bother anyone while walking two gsds.
Teheh love the story.. too bad its not alive anymore .. do you still own gsds?
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #86 (permalink)
Elite Member

yes i do.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Yep same thing with several of our GSDs. They did the exact same behavior. Baron who we had when I was a kid actually bit someone to protect me. I was 10 Baron was my shadow. We were by the creek playing and he was walked off leash all the time. Baron was never trained for PP, but he was a loyal well trained companion taught basic OB. He was a purebred GSD from the German working line.

A weird guy came up asked if I needed a ride home and I do not think the guy knew I had Baron with me until he flew over to me and stood in front of me. Teeth showing, hackles up, and the guy who was warned got too close and Baron bit him three times! There was something really off about that guy I still get creeped out thinking about it.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #88 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

julie- not socializing your shepherd will not make it more protective. Socializing a shepherd well doesn't make it less protective. Socializing gives a dog confidence in new/strange situations and helps the dog to recognize what is a 'true' threat vs. what is just normal human interaction. A well bred shepherd with good nerve, etc. that is well socialized *should* protect its owner. However, it's a gamble unless you've had the dog evaluated. Put a young dog in that situation, and you can really mess it up. My first shepherd got put into that situation, and he became aggressive to ANY male who approached me. He couldn't tell a 'real' threat from a non-threat. He felt that he needed to protect me from every male because I couldn't protect myself from one. It ended up costing me a few thousand dollars to get that straightened out, but then his life was taken. Please don't put your pup in that position. Socialize him well, protect him from threats, take him to training. When he is an adult, if a time comes that you need his help... if he has it in him, he will. Better to know from a professional ahead of time, though.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master Member

The reason I said don't oversocialize is because I knew this lady she had a GSD she is very outgoing person herself and so she would have lots of people to her house and take her dog just about everywhere. Well when I asked if she ever fled protected by her dog she said " oh gosh no, he loved everyone he would let anyone walk in" so does that mean the dog has good nerves? The dog maybe stable and friendly but will the dog be able to recognize the threat? I have never heard in my life that adult GSD never protected its owner when something actually happened. It's their instinct to do so without professional training they are guard dogs after all. Did you train your dog to bark an run to the door when somebody knocks? Did you teach them to herd? Did you teach them to trust kids and love kids? Did you teach them to watch their owners?! My dog constantly stares at me. I have had many dogs before and NONE of them did what a GSD does. That's why she is my favorite dog I actually feel pretty safe in the house with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #90 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I have had several that were not 'breed standard' for various reasons. My last male never became 'aloof' with strangers. You can socialize a shepherd to death, and that dog should still become 'aloof' to strangers when it grows up. That doesn't mean aggressive. That means not overly friendly... just showing little interest. If you don't socialize your dog, you can end up with a dog that's fearful, that doesn't recognize a threat from a non-threat, doesn't do well in 'new' situations, etc. Socialization is to teach the dog about the world, and how to interact with the world appropriately. Just because some lady had a dog that wasn't breed standard doesn't mean it was due to over socialization. I don't believe you can over socialize a dog. I think you need to take a look at the 'breed standard' sticky. There are MANY dogs out there that are being bred and producing pups that don't meet the breed standard in one way or another. If I had my choice between a fear aggressive dog or an overly friendly dog, I'd choose the latter every time. Oh, and my overly friendly dog was STILL able to recognize a 'true threat' and would respond appropriately. So even a dog that never develops that 'aloofness' that is breed standard can recognize a true threat. (Although not all will) IMO, it's that he WAS well socialized that gave him the ability to see a real threat.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.