will my untrained dog protect me? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

If your dog won't go up to someone, that is not protectivness; but I would suspect it is fear or at least maybe a little shyness esp. at her puppy age. For true defense the dog would be at the end of the leash pulling to get at the threat, not barking to try to scare away the scarey thing.

Wouldn't want to really count on a dog with behavior like that (at least from the little I can assume from your brief post and not seeing the dog in actual action. It is hard to interpret, of course.

BTW, just between us, a dog that istruly to be a protector is exactly the kind of dog who will go up to people calmly and socially. the toughest dog i ever met- once the top scoring dog in protection at the German national Seiger show (want a more protective dog than that?) once was walked around a dog show by my wife (didn'tknow the dogs history) perfectly calmly and met a number of other folks! THAT is what I would want a true protective dog to be like and with an ideal temperament!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
If your dog won't go up to someone, that is not protectivness; but I would suspect it is fear or at least maybe a little shyness esp. at her puppy age. For true defense the dog would be at the end of the leash pulling to get at the threat, not barking to try to scare away the scarey thing.

Wouldn't want to really count on a dog with behavior like that (at least from the little I can assume from your brief post and not seeing the dog in actual action. It is hard to interpret, of course.

BTW, just between us, a dog that istruly to be a protector is exactly the kind of dog who will go up to people calmly and socially. the toughest dog i ever met- once the top scoring dog in protection at the German national Seiger show (want a more protective dog than that?) once was walked around a dog show by my wife (didn'tknow the dogs history) perfectly calmly and met a number of other folks! THAT is what I would want a true protective dog to be like and with an ideal temperament!
YES ! exactly what I want! A well socialized dog but a devil in the inside LOL!

Ok so my dog on then leash actually pulls me and really wants to get at some people.. boy especially other dogs.. I pull her back but it makes it worse. Then if I dont run with her she chokes herself ! People look at me and I just put my head down in shame..

My wild pooch gone mad
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
YES ! exactly what I want! A well socialized dog but a devil in the inside LOL!

Ok so my dog on then leash actually pulls me and really wants to get at some people.. boy especially other dogs.. I pull her back but it makes it worse. Then if I dont run with her she chokes herself ! People look at me and I just put my head down in shame..

My wild pooch gone mad

Sounds like your dog needs a bit of training. Have you considered seeing a good pro trainer?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #74 (permalink)
Master Member

Kelina, thank you your dogs are cute too looks like you have a pair of white and black

And of course expect more responses from others such as "untrained will not protect". To me its bs. I come from Russia i lived in a small village, the GSD there are pretty much strictly for protection and guarding the house and I have NEVER heard of these dogs NOT protecting their family even though they were not trained. The is a reason why so many dog breeds have different personalities. GSD are the best! USA treats dog differentely and imo over socialize them to the point where the dog likes everyone. Dogs are suppose tome confident and not afraid but they should not be jumping on people being all playful I would not trust that kind of dog to protect me. My dog to me is my best friend, a protector, a companion I just love her and I know she's got my back.

Last edited by julie87; 11-18-2012 at 02:44 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Kelina, thank you your dogs are cute too looks like you have a pair of white and black

And of course expect more responses from others such as "untrained will not protect". To me its bs. I come from Russia i lived in a small village, the GSD there are pretty much strictly for protection and guarding the house and I have NEVER heard of these dogs NOT protecting their family. USA treats dog differentely. My dog to me is my best friend, a protector, a companion I just love her and I know she's got my back.
Awee thankyou ! And yes they are white and black

I understand how you feel exactly! These dogs are basically guard, herding, protection, dogs. A real K9! I did my research and all.

I actually think most people lie when they say they dont expect their dog to attack a predator. But who knows?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like your dog needs a bit of training. Have you considered seeing a good pro trainer?
I really want to. I am kind of worried because I dont want people being afraid of my baby! She is really friendly.. she just gets all protective at times.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I really want to. I am kind of worried because I dont want people being afraid of my baby! She is really friendly.. she just gets all protective at times.

FA is not protective except maybe the dog is afraid and trying to protect itself!

Not usually both at the same time!

To be truly protective (as GSD's are supposed to be) the dog has to be able to recognize a real threat! Socialize and training and exposure to many many things help IF the dog has the right genetic makeup (many GSD's do not!).

You might be able to get someone who understands to test your dog if you can find a local ScH (IPO) club in your area. Could be an eye opener!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
FA is not protective except maybe the dog is afraid and trying to protect itself!

Not usually both at the same time!

To be truly protective (as GSD's are supposed to be) the dog has to be able to recognize a real threat! Socialize and training and exposure to many many things help IF the dog has the right genetic makeup (many GSD's do not!).

You might be able to get someone who understands to test your dog if you can find a local ScH (IPO) club in your area. Could be an eye opener!
Ill call up Caesar millan ROFL!
Jk. But yeah I was thinking of putting her in some obedience training..
Old 11-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post

And of course expect more responses from others such as "untrained will not protect". To me its bs. I come from Russia i lived in a small village, the GSD there are pretty much strictly for protection and guarding the house and I have NEVER heard of these dogs NOT protecting their family even though they were not trained. The is a reason why so many dog breeds have different personalities. GSD are the best! USA treats dog differentely and imo over socialize them to the point where the dog likes everyone. Dogs are suppose tome confident and not afraid but they should not be jumping on people being all playful I would not trust that kind of dog to protect me. My dog to me is my best friend, a protector, a companion I just love her and I know she's got my back.
Just like with people - one never knows what someone (including self!) will do in an emergency (i.e. one comes under attack from man or beast!) until that moment arrives to prove it.

Want to bet how many soldiers freeze the first time someone shoots at them?

Don't knock it until/unless you have been there!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ill call up Caesar millan ROFL!
Jk. But yeah I was thinking of putting her in some obedience training..

You should certainly contact Cesar. It really sounds like you could help him with your knowledge of dogs behavior.

Good luck with your puppy, and I really hope that you never find yourself in a situayion that you need your dogs protectivness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.