will my untrained dog protect me? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #61 (permalink)

to protect my family when im not there mainly..second is i have been mugged before and he came up behind me with a knife i had my small heeler with me and he just looked like why are we stopped dad,if i had a k9 at that time things would have gone different
arizona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
My Oz? His breeding, it's a guessing game, in the past his picture has been here for critique as well as other boards. I have heard everything from shep/lab, shep/kelpie, shep/beaceron, shep/rottie to just a very poorly bred shep. My dogs are rescues, I rely on experts to determine their breeding, Oz, guessing game, Dolly, well she's either a pure but poorly bred Saint - too Beethoven like or a SaintXMastiff to get the height.

Oz has a disease called lumbo sacral disease, it is a progressive degenerative disease that hit him at 4, we manage it with chiropractic, aqua therapy and acupuncture as well as diet and exercise.
Hence why I say, with dogs it is a guessing game. I know there are other members here with dogs with the same disease who showed signs of the disease, I came home from work one day to find Oz crippled, best guess, we had hardwood, the mailman insisted on walking right by our bay window, he leapt off the couch, twisted in a way to incite a flare-up and we got the diagnosis. Now we were lucky, our vet, his wife worked at Guelph Vet hospital, we had the X-Rays evaluated there, we had the MRI, the only true way to make the diagnosis and here we are. A washed out, though great dog.

At 4, very high hopes, he matured very slowly, painfully LOL, but he had potential to work in some way. Genetics had other ideas. Love your 5.5 month old, enjoy him/her, when the time comes, the dog will show you what his/her job should be. In the meantime, get some mace, carry a stick, protect both of you and enjoy your pup.
Hehe I bring a bottle of bodyspray ! LOL!

& omgg poor oz!! He is lucky to have you & Im so glad you are a rescuer. I had always wanted to rescue because it is the best decisions someone can possibly make! But im still living with my father and he doesnt think rescues are the best choice. He wants a puppy, not a grown dog. So stubborn lol.

Shadow is my 5.5 month, everyone loves her. Down in the city, while walking people just love petting her and they give her tons of compliments ! I love my shadow and I would die if something was to happen to them.
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona View Post
to protect my family when im not there mainly..second is i have been mugged before and he came up behind me with a knife i had my small heeler with me and he just looked like why are we stopped dad,if i had a k9 at that time things would have gone different
Sheeeesh!! Sorry to hear. Glad you are alive.

I wanted a heeler.. guess I wont get one now LOL! Totally jk!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #64 (permalink)

he was still young i think that was why...if you do get the chance to get a cattle dog do it! it will be the best dog you ever have tied with the gsd of course
Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
he was still young i think that was why...if you do get the chance to get a cattle dog do it! it will be the best dog you ever have tied with the gsd of course
Lol! I mean my brother says they look like ghosy dogs lmao!

But the markings of one to me is beautiful!!

I personally love german sheps! Originally was goin to get a husky! But changed my mind and got these wonderful pups )
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #66 (permalink)

i know i know dont cross breed..but you should see some of the husky gsd mixes!!!!they are so cool!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
i know i know dont cross breed..but you should see some of the husky gsd mixes!!!!they are so cool!
OMG THEY REALLY AREEE!!! If I would ever get a mix I want that lol
Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #68 (permalink)

there is this one on google images that is black but he has the most iced white eyes i have ever seen!!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master Member

Kelina, I can totally understand you I am a girl too and most of the time alone in not so good neighboorhood, when I walk my 7 month old GSD I am nervous and always wonder if my girl has what it takes, now I won't know for sure until something actually happens but here are a few situations that my dog was in that I thought she could be capable to protect me maybe not today since she is still a puppy but later im almost a 100% sure she would.

My brother in law hates animals him and my housband's cousing came over to our house, his cousin loves animals. My dog would not come up to be petted or to play with my brother in law even thoug she sees him almost every week. My dog has never seen my hubby's cousin but trusted him immideately and wanted to play with ball with him. You can interpet this however you prefer, im sure everyone on this forum has a different opinion but I think that my dog could sense that he doesn't like her.

My best friend hates animals she comes over once a week sometimes twice... They met when my dog was 2 months old and now she is 7 months old. My dog absolutely hates my friend, she will bark and try to nip at her until i tell her that its ok. It is kind of actually emberassing to admit that my dog hates my best friend.

My dog also hated my next door neighbor until about a month ago. She would not take treats form him or come close.

The other night my husband was by computer and he wanted to show me something and he ran up to me I was sitting close to the door to outside. The dog was sleeping right by my husband as soon as he started running the dog flipped out she started barking and growling and running to the door.After she saw there is no danger she went back to sleep.

Everytime somebody tries to get close to me or get a hug she comes over and gets her paws on me and tries to check it out

If I scream the dog immideately RUNS to me.

These are just a few examples, I notices she is more "protective" or whatever you want to call it of me than my husband. and very "protective" of my younger siblings who I don't even live with ages 5-11.

There are other little things that happen that I KNOW my dog can good sense about who that person is. Seems like my dog just loves kids and loves people who love her.

As far as protecting me I can only hope that she does. I can see that while she is maturing she is becoming more confident and doesn't run away from "scary" things she comes FORWARD. If I were you I would carry pepper spray with me and a knife or a tazer. You never know what can happen.. your dog may protect you from one bad guy but there could be a whole gang following you and your dog won't stop them, If you scared to walk outside definetely get your dog into protection training it will make you feel safer but nothing is a 100% even if you had a gun on you. A dog is a good detterent though.

Another thing I will add is that it is ridiculous to hear some people here say "I would want to protect my dog instead of the other way around" People comepletely turned a GSD into a house pet. GSD is a protector that is their job the only time they woudln't protect is when they don't have a good bond with you, dogs always fight for their pack. But to be honest I wouldn't over socialize the dog so she doesn't just jump into everyone's hand to be petted.The dog may not protect you while still a puppy but when he or she is mature I am pretty sure they will. Its in their blood.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Kelina, I can totally understand you I am a girl too and most of the time alone in not so good neighboorhood, when I walk my 7 month old GSD I am nervous and always wonder if my girl has what it takes, now I won't know for sure until something actually happens but here are a few situations that my dog was in that I thought she could be capable to protect me maybe not today since she is still a puppy but later im almost a 100% sure she would.

My brother in law hates animals him and my housband's cousing came over to our house, his cousin loves animals. My dog would not come up to be petted or to play with my brother in law even thoug she sees him almost every week. My dog has never seen my hubby's cousin but trusted him immideately and wanted to play with ball with him. You can interpet this however you prefer, im sure everyone on this forum has a different opinion but I think that my dog could sense that he doesn't like her.

My best friend hates animals she comes over once a week sometimes twice... They met when my dog was 2 months old and now she is 7 months old. My dog absolutely hates my friend, she will bark and try to nip at her until i tell her that its ok. It is kind of actually emberassing to admit that my dog hates my best friend.

My dog also hated my next door neighbor until about a month ago. She would not take treats form him or come close.

The other night my husband was by computer and he wanted to show me something and he ran up to me I was sitting close to the door to outside. The dog was sleeping right by my husband as soon as he started running the dog flipped out she started barking and growling and running to the door.After she saw there is no danger she went back to sleep.

Everytime somebody tries to get close to me or get a hug she comes over and gets her paws on me and tries to check it out

If I scream the dog immideately RUNS to me.

These are just a few examples, I notices she is more "protective" or whatever you want to call it of me than my husband. and very "protective" of my younger siblings who I don't even live with ages 5-11.

There are other little things that happen that I KNOW my dog can good sense about who that person is. Seems like my dog just loves kids and loves people who love her.

As far as protecting me I can only hope that she does. I can see that while she is maturing she is becoming more confident and doesn't run away from "scary" things she comes FORWARD. If I were you I would carry pepper spray with me and a knife or a tazer. You never know what can happen.. your dog may protect you from one bad guy but there could be a whole gang following you and your dog won't stop them, If you scared to walk outside definetely get your dog into protection training it will make you feel safer but nothing is a 100% even if you had a gun on you. A dog is a good detterent though.

Another thing I will add is that it is ridiculous to hear some people here say "I would want to protect my dog instead of the other way around" People comepletely turned a GSD into a house pet. GSD is a protector that is their job the only time they woudln't protect is when they don't have a good bond with you, dogs always fight for their pack. But to be honest I wouldn't over socialize the dog so she doesn't just jump into everyone's hand to be petted.The dog may not protect you while still a puppy but when he or she is mature I am pretty sure they will. Its in their blood.

WOW! very informative.

See my pup does the same! I was playing with my friends hair and she started barking and growing at her! I was really embarassed because I have always said how good she was.

A couple weeks ago, my half brother slept over, remind you she never met him and he woke up and came into my room to say bye and shadow started barking ! Like before he even came in she let out this weird quiet, alerting woof! It was really deep and sort of scary!

Now, I am glad you and I feel the same way :P. I will protect my dogs as much as I can, but if I am getting attacked by a gang, lets just say that, my dogs better fight back! Its just weird if they just sit there and not defend me. I will be embarassed to tell someone my dog didnt protect me while I got beat up...

GSDS are known for being those real TOUGH dogs. I dont want nobody hurting my babies, but my babies should not want people hurting me ! Their momma lol.

Your girl is a BEAUT !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.