will my untrained dog protect me? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
if you were walking your dog and someone tried to rob you, and you were fighting back but he pulled a knife out, would you NOT look to your dogs for help?! You would. I would. We all would.
I would hand him the 3 year old cell phone in my pocket and the $5 I carry if I ever need a cab and pray he got lost.

I guess I do not understand it because I do not live somewhere where this is conceivable and in my younger days when I did run the streets of cities like Toronto and occasionally New York, I did not have a dog, but had taken enough self-defence, self- improvement classes to not give off the please snatch or rob me vibe.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
I would hand him the 3 year old cell phone in my pocket and the $5 I carry if I ever need a cab and pray he got lost.

I guess I do not understand it because I do not live somewhere where this is conceivable and in my younger days when I did run the streets of cities like Toronto and occasionally New York, I did not have a dog, but had taken enough self-defence, self- improvement classes to not give off the please snatch or rob me vibe.
Lmao! I took self defense when I was younger.. I quit.
And first of all, im saying as they are OLDER. Not younger. So everyone can stop saying that it really irks. What will you say if they are 2 years old and still not showing signs of protection?

You guys get ridiculously smart for no reason. Calm down and answer respectfully.
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #43 (permalink)

There are many factors that play into whether your dog will protect you or not.

How confident is the dog?
Has the dog been trained?
How determined is the attacker?
How prepared are YOU?

Maybe your dog will bark and growl at an approaching stranger but if that stranger takes out a club and smacks your dog with it will your dog tuck tail and run or will your dog fight back.

MOST dogs, unless they are TRAINED, will run. Sure, protection is in their nature but SELF-PRESERVATION will take over unless the dog is trained.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
There are many factors that play into whether your dog will protect you or not.

How confident is the dog?
Has the dog been trained?
How determined is the attacker?
How prepared are YOU?

Maybe your dog will bark and growl at an approaching stranger but if that stranger takes out a club and smacks your dog with it will your dog tuck tail and run or will your dog fight back.

MOST dogs, unless they are TRAINED, will run. Sure, protection is in their nature but SELF-PRESERVATION will take over unless the dog is trained.

My dogs are very confident.
I trained them the basics..
And idk? Never been attacked lol...
Im prepared enough..
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

When people start puppies in protection training, they teach the dog that chasing and biting and holding on to a tug or rag is all in fun. It is a big game aimed at developing the motor skills, teaching self control, and building the pups' confidence. Setting the dog up to react in a scared aggresive way to a stranger is not training, it is traumatizing for a pup. I know you did not set up your pup for this, it just happened, but it sounds like you are glad it happened the way it did, and glad your pup reacted the way he did, not sure if you think this is how pups are trained?

If you want the peace of mind that your pup will react appropriately to a threat when older, then take him to a trainer, and work with him.

You can learn on how to do this properly in a positive and rewarding way for your pup.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
When people start puppies in protection training, they teach the dog that chasing and biting and holding on to a tug or rag is all in fun. It is a big game aimed at developing the motor skills, teaching self control, and building the pups' confidence. Setting the dog up to react in a scared aggresive way to a stranger is not training, it is traumatizing for a pup. I know you did not set up your pup for this, it just happened, but it sounds like you are glad it happened the way it did, and glad your pup reacted the way he did, not sure if you think this is how pups are trained?

If you want the peace of mind that your pup will react appropriately to a threat when older, then take him to a trainer, and work with him.

You can learn on how to do this properly in a positive and rewarding way for your pup.
Lmao! Oh lord. I never said I was happy.... did I? Nope.

So anyway I really hate it. She goes up to dogs and does the same bs! And all she wants to do is sniff. Its annoying and I HATE IT. Who said I liked it?

As my question STATES: will she protect me in a serious case?

I didnt say if it was for any lil thing..
Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post

You guys get ridiculously smart for no reason. Calm down and answer respectfully.

Pardon?

Train your dog.

I can take my husband's brand new 308 out of the box, will I get the first shot in the kill zone - sure, on sheer dumb luck. Chances are, I'll put the scope on backwards.

If the dog isn't what you are looking for at 2, re-home it, do it a favor.
A protection dog takes work, there is natural instinct, but there is work. Furthermore if the person holding the lead is a "wittle girl", that will transfer down the lead and the dog will react, significantly differently than someone with confidence holding the lead.

You want a protection dog, start training it now. Our crystal balls are all rusty, will it protect you? Sure. Go for it!

You be respectful, get a trainer to evaluate your dog, that is not disrespectful, get someone to help you train it. Working dogs are placed in working homes far younger than your dog, some wash out, some excel, but it goes beyond instinct alone. Instinct is only so much and may result in a favorable outcome, better idea, get your dog trained, get it evaluated, train yourself. Stack the odds in your favor.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

some are protective some aren't. at 5.5 months i wouldn't
count on it. i don't count on my dog for protection. i protect
my dog. whatever it is i need to be protected from i want my
dog protected from it also.

Last edited by doggiedad; 11-17-2012 at 10:37 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
some are protective some aren't. at 5.5 months i wouldn't
count on it. i don't count on my dog for protection. i protect
my dog. whatever it is i need to be protected from i want my
dog protected from it also.
Yeah same.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
When people start puppies in protection training, they teach the dog that chasing and biting and holding on to a tug or rag is all in fun. It is a big game aimed at developing the motor skills, teaching self control, and building the pups' confidence.
That's the big difference between training for sport and training for personal protection.

In sport training it's a game. While the helper does fight the dog somewhat, it's never realistic.

In protection training they will eventually come at the dog with everything they can. This teaches the dog to fight back no matter what. They will kick and punch the dog and they except the dog to keep fighting. That's what they are training the dog to do.

Me? I'm happy with my GSD just being a visual deterrent. At home my dogs "job" is to act as an early warning system - giving me enough time to get my guns and take care of any intruders myself.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.