will my untrained dog protect me? - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
This is no different then asking "if I got jumped in an alley by one person, would I be able defend myself" the only correct answer is, probably not, maybe yes, plenty of anecdotal stories for each side. Only way to know is to train, practice, spar, and test yourself. Then you know for sure what your abilities are and how you react under minor stress. The only way to know how you will react in higher stress is to go pick a fight somewhere. Same concept for a dog.
Thanks!
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #102 (permalink)

I have a dog who bit someone who was attacking me. It was even investigated by the police and ruled a "justified bite." You'd never think he was a protective dog normally, he's super friendly and outgoing to strangers and I've never so much as heard him growl in annoyance at a person. If I'm uncomfortable in a situation with a person, he'll stand quietly beside me but not growl or bark. Yet when someone actually did attack me, he attacked the guy and kept attacking until the guy retreated.

On the other hand I have a dog who will growl and bark and snap at strangers very quickly. Same situation (literally, I had both dogs with me), that dog hung back and didn't do anything. Would he have done the same if my other dog hadn't stepped in? Probably. He's reactive out of fear, not protection.

My GSD is another who is really friendly with strangers and I think he'd protect me, because his reaction when I have been threatened (not really badly, just some kids goofing off and trying to scare us when we were running at night) was to calmly put himself between me and them and growl, but I wouldn't count on him to do so. He's a very nice deterrent and I feel very safe with him because I don't think most people are going to approach us, but I'm not expecting him to attack because he isn't protection trained.

So there's three real-life examples to kind of illustrate how I feel about it. Basically, if you don't have a protection-trained dog, you can't count on it. You also shouldn't encourage any sort of aggressive behavior towards strangers short of structured protection training, because it's unpredictable and may get your dog an "unjustified" bite history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
I mean im 4"11 if I dont yank the leash back, I fly with the dog. So what I do is yank and walk away from the scene. I dont tense up when my dog is acting crazy.. I just pull her back, start walking away.
Consider trying an age-appropriate gentle leader-type device (either a head collar or a front-attached harness are my favorite on adult dogs, haven't had a pup in years so I'm not sure there). Yanking, even to keep control, will have a negative effect on your dog in that type of scenario. It's better to prevent it from happening in the first place.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #103 (permalink)
Knighted Member

kellina. have been through some obedience training with your dog ? you always want to have control over your dogs and not have to jerk the leash. jerking the leash is some what old school and can hurt your dog if not done correctly. with practice and training you should be able to easily walk your dogs side by side with out so much as a tug from from your dogs. training is not only good for you and your pups, but will enhance the bond you have already formed.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #104 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
I mean im 4"11 if I dont yank the leash back, I fly with the dog. So what I do is yank and walk away from the scene. I dont tense up when my dog is acting crazy.. I just pull her back, start walking away.
Again, yanking a FA dog is only setting it up for failure. Learn your dog's signals, as soon as you see her first signal to react, redirect her then. Yanking her gives her the message that she should be afraid and should try to make the scary thing go away.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #105 (permalink)
Knighted Member

can't stress enough how important some professional training would be for you. my daughters were much smaller than you and could walk or run with kyra any where at any time. they used to wrap the leash around their waste and there was no pulling from kyra. its all in the training.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
can't stress enough how important some professional training would be for you. my daughters were much smaller than you and could walk or run with kyra any where at any time. they used to wrap the leash around their waste and there was no pulling from kyra. its all in the training.
I know as I said, I need to get her in training.

She really stubborn at times..
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
kellina. have been through some obedience training with your dog ? you always want to have control over your dogs and not have to jerk the leash. jerking the leash is some what old school and can hurt your dog if not done correctly. with practice and training you should be able to easily walk your dogs side by side with out so much as a tug from from your dogs. training is not only good for you and your pups, but will enhance the bond you have already formed.
She knows the basic keys to training. Ill take a video of what she does. And you can see it beyter. I do really want to get her in some training because I do NOT want a 90 lbs or more dog pulling me ! In the winter, it hurts my hands cause im freezing..
Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I have a dog who bit someone who was attacking me. It was even investigated by the police and ruled a "justified bite." You'd never think he was a protective dog normally, he's super friendly and outgoing to strangers and I've never so much as heard him growl in annoyance at a person. If I'm uncomfortable in a situation with a person, he'll stand quietly beside me but not growl or bark. Yet when someone actually did attack me, he attacked the guy and kept attacking until the guy retreated.

On the other hand I have a dog who will growl and bark and snap at strangers very quickly. Same situation (literally, I had both dogs with me), that dog hung back and didn't do anything. Would he have done the same if my other dog hadn't stepped in? Probably. He's reactive out of fear, not protection.

My GSD is another who is really friendly with strangers and I think he'd protect me, because his reaction when I have been threatened (not really badly, just some kids goofing off and trying to scare us when we were running at night) was to calmly put himself between me and them and growl, but I wouldn't count on him to do so. He's a very nice deterrent and I feel very safe with him because I don't think most people are going to approach us, but I'm not expecting him to attack because he isn't protection trained.

So there's three real-life examples to kind of illustrate how I feel about it. Basically, if you don't have a protection-trained dog, you can't count on it. You also shouldn't encourage any sort of aggressive behavior towards strangers short of structured protection training, because it's unpredictable and may get your dog an "unjustified" bite history.

Consider trying an age-appropriate gentle leader-type device (either a head collar or a front-attached harness are my favorite on adult dogs, haven't had a pup in years so I'm not sure there). Yanking, even to keep control, will have a negative effect on your dog in that type of scenario. It's better to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Thanks!! I like your ideas.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #109 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I know as I said, I need to get her in training.

She really stubborn at times..
Kelina - I want you to understand that isn't something to be upset about. Every dog needs some level of training. Most subborn dogs are stubborn because they are independant thinkers. This is a very good thing. Might require you to work a bit harder with training, but it will be so worth it!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Kelina - I want you to understand that isn't something to be upset about. Every dog needs some level of training. Most subborn dogs are stubborn because they are independant thinkers. This is a very good thing. Might require you to work a bit harder with training, but it will be so worth it!
Aww I do get a little worked up on it because I love my pups so much.
I just really want them to know good from bad! I really want her to get some good training- not by me either...

I dont even know where to start? Theres this place around me that does training but the girl is new to gsd.. i dont trust her.

If I do my own training, what do I start off with first ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.