will my untrained dog protect me? - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #91 (permalink)

I do need to take both pups to the whole social training. Because when dogs walk her fur flys up, shes pulling and choking her self. Its really bad.

I just need to find someone worthy of it.
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master Member

[QUOTE=Jag;2633283]I have had several that were not 'breed standard' for various reasons. My last male never became 'aloof' with strangers. You can socialize a shepherd to death, and that dog should still become 'aloof' to strangers when it grows up. That doesn't mean aggressive. That means not overly friendly...

I never said not socialize. Of course socialize them but i do believe you can overdo it. If I had to choose friendly dog and stable and fearful aggressive I would choose the friendly one. My dog is my friend and goes everywhere with me I wouldn't want her to attack for no reason. I wouldnt be able to live with knowing she hurt a child.. When I take my dog places I feel comfortable and I trust her judgement she used to be fearful when she was smaller but now she is becoming more confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #93 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At 5.5 months a dog barking and growling is not protecting you. They may be showing fear which can be an issue as they get older or potentially aggression (not as commonly seen this young, fear is more likely) but a 5 month old is still a baby so it is more likely if a puppy that young is "protecting" anyone it is him/herself.
I would definitely be sure to work on socialization and training to be sure they can grow up to be confident as much as possible, you don't want to encourage a 5 month old puppy growling at people...
Early socialization is important, the sooner the better.

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 11-19-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #94 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
At 5.5 months a dog barking and growling is not protecting you. They may be showing fear which can be an issue as they get older or potentially aggression (not as commonly seen this young, fear is more likely) but a 5 month old is still a baby so it is more likely if a puppy that young is "protecting" anyone it is him/herself.
I would definitely be sure to work on socialization and training to be sure they can grow up to be confident as much as possible, you don't want to encourage a 5 month old puppy growling at people...

What they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #95 (permalink)

I think most dogs with herding or protection in their genetic make-up will protect their pack if they perceive a threat. The trick is helping them understand what actually constitutes a threat.

I've noticed that our very young GSD is already assessing situations and people the way I'd like him to. He watches people and you can see the wheels turning as he tries to decide if he feels okay about them or not. But if I tell him that it is okay and call him to a person, he's just fine and friendly.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
I dont encourage it whatsoever. I yank her, tell her stop, leave the scene.. gah its a mess..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #97 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
I dont encourage it whatsoever. I yank her, tell her stop, leave the scene.. gah its a mess..
Yanking a pup, especially when it is already exhibiting fear, will only increase the fear aggression. Why not try getting the pup's attention back on you, step back a few feet, do some casual ob work, play with it, treats as long as his attention is on you.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #98 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is no different then asking "if I got jumped in an alley by one person, would I be able defend myself" the only correct answer is, probably not, maybe yes, plenty of anecdotal stories for each side. Only way to know is to train, practice, spar, and test yourself. Then you know for sure what your abilities are and how you react under minor stress. The only way to know how you will react in higher stress is to go pick a fight somewhere. Same concept for a dog.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #99 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
This is no different then asking "if I got jumped in an alley by one person, would I be able defend myself" the only correct answer is, probably not, maybe yes, plenty of anecdotal stories for each side. Only way to know is to train, practice, spar, and test yourself. Then you know for sure what your abilities are and how you react under minor stress. The only way to know how you will react in higher stress is to go pick a fight somewhere. Same concept for a dog.
Best answer yet, to the point and addresses the issue!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Yanking a pup, especially when it is already exhibiting fear, will only increase the fear aggression. Why not try getting the pup's attention back on you, step back a few feet, do some casual ob work, play with it, treats as long as his attention is on you.

I mean im 4"11 if I dont yank the leash back, I fly with the dog. So what I do is yank and walk away from the scene. I dont tense up when my dog is acting crazy.. I just pull her back, start walking away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.