Dog Packs and Tattletale Guilt - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Dog Packs and Tattletale Guilt

There's a few neighborhood dogs in my area that have packed up to make a minor inconvenience into a great nuisance.

It's between 3 and 6 dogs most of the time, and they're particularly active in the mornings.

Up until now, they've just done annoying things like getting into trashcans, chasing joggers, etc. but this morning, I saw them harrassing a woman walking a Yorkie, trying to attack her dog. (The Yorkies near me seem to have the worst luck...)

Now, I'm not worried for my dog's safety or anything. He's never outside unsupervised and we've been taking our walks in the nearest park for awhile now.

However, they make me a little uneasy for other dogs in the area, my cats, etc.

Also, they always seem to congregate on the street in front of my house and get up to mischief from there, so I'm a little worried someone is going to think they're my dogs and try to blame me for anything they might do.

HOWEVER, where I live, almost everyone lets their dogs run loose. It's just the way things are. It's not legal, but people have been letting their dogs roam here since the 60s because it's a pretty rural area.

So I am reluctant to call animal control because ALL of my neighbors' dogs are likely to be rounded up and I'd hate to have the ire of the entire neighborhood hanging over my head. Most of them have sweet, good-natured dogs that never cause problems.

So, deal with the dog pack or live with a tattletale's guilt?

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We've had a big problem here with wild dog packs,but they never charged people. There was one dog who would be seen with 2-3 litters every year for about 4 years. I've seen most of the businesses around here leave out food for her and the male dog who followed her around. Just recently this dog 29 other dogs in her pack were caught by AC when they were seen killing a Doe and her two babies. The dogs were taken to the animal shelter and pts. I would personally call AC if these dogs are being a threat to people. The problem is just going to get worse.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

first thing i would do is get "bear spray". then i would talk to a couple of the neighbors you are friendly with and see what they think. wondering why the yorkies person didn't call ac. i remember when people let there dogs loose in the area i grew up in, was really nice.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think there is a difference between letting your dog roam and letting your dogs form a pack that is trying to attack other dogs and people. Do you live in a subdivision? Have a HOA? Can you call a meeting of the neighbors to talk to them all or go door to door? Or talk specifically with the owners of the dogs that are forming these packs? Someone that could lay out the "law" in the neighborhood?

If not, I would call AC. That's not an annoyance...that is a danger.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

No HOA. It's very rural.

Also, the quandry was the fact that the majority of the dogs that will be rounded up if I call AC are good, well-behaved dogs.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If the wild pack is charging people then I would call AC anyway. The ones who are letting their dogs run loose will just have to go and get their dogs,if it's illegal in your area for them to run loose. You could also ask about live traps to be set up on your property.That way if one of your neighbors dogs do get in the trap you can turn them loose and reset the trap.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.