Training in a warehouse, need some input - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training in a warehouse, need some input

Does anyone here attend training that is located in a warehouse?

We are looking to lease a building that is about 2200 sq ft of warehouse space. It does have insulation and is not a stand-alone building. The front portion is climate controlled. It does have a heater.
However, I am really concerned about the heat in the summertime.

If you train in a warehouse......
what is the setup like?
where is it located?
What is used to cool the place?

Thanks!
--Mary
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

We train flyball at a local dog place that is basically a warehouse. It does get BEASTLY hot in the summer. We open the loading bay doors (two facing south and one facing west) and then on the north facing wall there is this huge fan thing that we're allowed to turn on. You don't really feel a breeze but it does move air (have to open at least one of the bay doors or the motor will fry). It's also really loud but we're doing flyball so noise is a given!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I trained in a large, old, metal quonset hut that had been converted into a chicken coop ... does this count? Before they moved to the Prince Frederick Fairgounds, the Chesapeake Kennel Club of Maryland used to hold their training classes in a chicken coop ... no heat in the winter, no a/c in the summer, sand on the floor that had to be watered down every day, bare light bulbs above, and lots of little creatures scurrying around to grab a dogs attention on long sits and downs. In the Winter we wore heavy coats and long undies, Spring and Fall were delightful, and Summer classes were suspended until sometime in September. Our instructor raised sheep so she held summer classes at her house in one of the pastures (lots of good distractions for herding breeds). Fortunately the instructor was excellent, the best I've ever had and was well worth the inconvenience ... it prepared us well for showing in unsavory conditions including lots of different distractions for both indoor and outdoor matches and shows, unexpected sights and odors, and bad weather conditions .
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry for the late response.

Gayle and Lies, Thank you for the input! I think we have decided to forego the a/c (unless the leasing company just wants to do that for us).
My biggest concern is will the average Joe come out and train if it is hot.
We are looking at some ceiling mounted fans right now.

Any comments on footing?
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We do when the k9 unit invites us out to work with them. We use warehouses, abandoned water plant and other buildings, and even an old navy ship. Pretty neat places to train!

Most of the time, all power is turned off..... so it's hot and other then window light... it can be dark. The warehouses have too much light, and can get a bit rough. But, not everyone goes in there all at once... you work your dog and then put them in their crates outside with a good amount of water. So it's not so bad.

Most of the places I've been to with my training group has had some strange footing. We've had them on very slippery footing, some that were metal and you could see through the bars, and the one I wasn't able to go to (thanks to work) also had some wetlands. The warehouses are always really slippery here. We are very careful to make sure the dogs don't get hurt, otherwise, it's a great learning experience.

Luckily, the cooler weather is coming now, so getting overheated is one thing we don't have to worry to much about.

Edit- To keep the warehouses cool, the Police here use large fans and open the bay door. And when we want better footing for working the dogs seriously, we use rubber mats (like what you use in horse stalls and barns). We've never had AC in any of them. The dogs stay in kennels outdoors with water, and during the summer, most use cooling pads. It's much cooler outdoors then indoors at that point. It's a huge benefit to use the warehouses, especially when it's storming outside... which is most of the year here.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)

Last edited by TrickyShepherd; 11-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i have also trained in a warehouse. the flooring reminded me of the wrestling mats we used in high school, only larger. this also had ac in the summer and heat in the winter. imho, if you are starting a training school, the average pet owner with a poodle or other companion dogs as well as the larger mountain dogs, would most likely find a school with ac. if you are starting a working dog shutzhund type training club, you could do with out the ac. having said that , i would think you would need some really heavy duty and large fans if you plan on training in the hot months of georgia.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One of the local clubs trains in a HUGE warehouse in the winter. I have worked with them a few times. They have a great set-up.

Here are some photo's to help get an idea of their set-up.

They use the stuff you would lay a track down and then some heavy duty grass carpet down. It actually is a pretty nice set-up.

I have a video that shows the whole area better:

I really liked training there. Our club is looking for a place similar close to our field. Some dogs don't do well with the noise/acoustics but other's thrive on hearing their own voice.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.