kennel half complete, need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Default kennel half complete, need advice

a bit less than half complete but want to know ideas on how to finish it. will have 4 divisions for dogs.

under the roofing part will be concrete. the outdoor bit will be grass but told it will soon be mud or dust -fill with??

the roof on outside will be either shade cloth but what UV transmission or vines growing on netting.

mesh for the walls?

any advice appreciatted;

so far;

http://youtu.be/pAOQhAfD2L0
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have you tried pea gravel or planting grass in the areas that don't have it if the soil will support it?
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
Have you tried pea gravel or planting grass in the areas that don't have it if the soil will support it?

thsmks for comment, haven't tried it as first time i have kenneled dogs and it is not finished yet. what sort of diameter rocks is in pea gravel roughly?

i heard grass is lose, lose as it is gone in no time flat, someone also suggested bark?

dogs will only be in kennel maybe 4-5 hours per day during daytime.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We use pea gravel a lot of landscaping and have used a variety of sizes. The smaller sizes range from 3/8 inch; medium, 1/2 to 3/4 inch.They have bigger,but that is not really for kennels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
what sort of diameter rocks is in pea gravel roughly?

dogs will only be in kennel maybe 4-5 hours per day during daytime.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
We use pea gravel a lot of landscaping and have used a variety of sizes. The smaller sizes range from 3/8 inch; medium, 1/2 to 3/4 inch.They have bigger,but that is not really for kennels.

what diameter would you reccomend? what depth would you lay it? i have seen dogs chew and or swallow small stones, my dogs don't but is it a risk not worth taking?

sorry about all questions just want to get ideas before a make the last finish effort.

how comfortable is it for dog to lie on gravel, seems suckful to me?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is quite a bit of debate on it, you gotta do your own research to see where you lay on the idea, but you could consider Rubber Mulch Rubber mulch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Home Depot sells it. I'm doing a kennel/run in the next 6 months, I'm investigating it. I like the idea of wood, but I'm afraid too much urine would be absorbed and pea gravel is great, but I need to watch the weight where I am putting the kennel.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post
There is quite a bit of debate on it, you gotta do your own research to see where you lay on the idea, but you could consider Rubber Mulch Rubber mulch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Home Depot sells it. I'm doing a kennel/run in the next 6 months, I'm investigating it. I like the idea of wood, but I'm afraid too much urine would be absorbed and pea gravel is great, but I need to watch the weight where I am putting the kennel.

what about mulch bark? when it gets too wet just shovel it out and put new stuff in?? the rubber idea freaks me out - i am thinking blockage waiting to happen??
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i like cement as it easy to clean and can be disinfected.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
x11
Banned

did you see the slab area in the vid?, i thought i would give the dogs a break from the cement and have that other area more natural under their feet???

i want ideas for what the dogs would like in their housing??
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymama View Post

I would be concerned that would get HOT if sun were on it for any length of time in the summer. Burned paws would not be fun.

What about sawdust? Or would that be too messy? Bark might be dusty or sliver-ey. Pea gravel might not be too bad, but again, if there were sun, I would be worried.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.