"Partial custody" of dog. Am I being ridiculous? (non-GSD) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's my bestiestest buddy :3 I know you won't listen to anyone being rude or overly negative rather than constructive. But... You know how I am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
That's my bestiestest buddy :3 I know you won't listen to anyone being rude or overly negative rather than constructive. But... You know how I am
Yup. It's one reason I loves you!! And I'd be the same way if anyone was negative towards you.

I'm trying not to get defensive, because after all I did bring this to a forum where opinions vastly differ. So I'm not going to complain if some people think down of me, just try and let them understand how I feel and where I'm coming from on all this.

R.I.P
Mocha- Tortoiseshell calico

http://kaohzandkumatz.yolasite.com/
Kwolf94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I shall do my best (:
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I haven't read the other replies,but if the dog is taken care of then I would just settle for the visits that you get. Several of my friends of dogs that I LOVE,but would never ask them for any of custody unless they brought it up.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
I haven't read the other replies,but if the dog is taken care of then I would just settle for the visits that you get. Several of my friends of dogs that I LOVE,but would never ask them for any of custody unless they brought it up.
Yes, that is exactly what I am going to do.

R.I.P

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

your step dads house, your step dads dog and your step dads rules. not what you want o hear but that is the way it is.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What she wanted to hear was logical/rational, constructive criticisms. Basically, a reaffirmation that her brain is right and her emotions are just running high right now.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I'm really sorry - and I certainly don't want to sound rude, but the dog doesn't belong to you. The dog belongs to your step dad. It's nice that you feel close to the dog, but it was never yours to begin with.

My daughter showed Aussies and Arabian horses. She took riding lessons, dog training classes, seminars etc. She did have a male Aussie that was her shadow - he even slept with her in her bed. But those animals belonged to ME. She had no rights to them when she left for school, nor did I have any obligations to provide her visiting rights or provide her partial ownership. I purchased them, paid for vet care etc. They belonged to me.

Just for the record - I did give her the male Aussie mentioned above. Only because I felt he would help keep her safe while away from home. NOT because I felt I OWED her the dog, or was obligated to give her the dog. She NEVER asked for him, but was delighted when I told her to take him with her.

I would have come UNGLUED if my own daughter even mentioned taking me to court to sue me for ownership of any of MY animals.
Agreed 100%.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwolf94 View Post
Once again, my "threat" was not to sue, but to gain ownership of Ellie.
This isn't just some dog that I feel is not being properly cared for. This is a dog I raised and trained. A dog whose personality I know almost as well as my own. And the reason I brought it to this forum is because I was looking for rational feedback, which RowdyDogs and Selzer (to name a few) gave without making me feel like I am in the wrong for being concerned about a dog I love.

Honey, to get ownership of the dog you have to sue them for it. Its not always about money.To be honesty, you should be grateful that they even let you see the dog, 'cause if one of my children said that to me, I probably wouldn't allow them any visitation unless they came over to my house.

You were part of the family, the dog was part of the family, of course you helped raise and train it. That's what families do, but I can bet that, as much as you want to point out how much you did, they probably did just as much. They probably also paid for the dog, paid any vet bills and bought the dog food.

Yes, I do think you are being over dramatic about it, because the issue is that its not your standards. This to me shows that you still have a lot to learn in life, there are always going to be things that aren't your standards, and you need to learn how to live with it. You said it yourself that he wasn't a bad guy, the dog is being taken care of, its just now how YOU want it.

Learn to count your blessings, because they don't owe you anything and I believe are being very gracious to even let you have "partial custody".
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. You've made me realize that I am being over dramatic on the issue, and for no reason really. I know now that I have no legal standing on this as well.

A few points I just want to make clear:
I don't feel that my family OWES me Ellie, or anything for that matter. I merely pointed out that I paid for her food and vet bills for a long time to emphasize how much I care for her well-being.
Although what I said about taking them to court was rash and not well thought out, and despite what you all would have done if someone said the same to you, my family loves me and knows I can get ridiculous over this kind of stuff. They never judged me for it. They know how much I care for Ellie almost as much I as do.

Once again, thank you for all your inputs. I am going to count my blessings, and take what I can get, so to speak. Ellie is a very special dog, and thanks to you all, I have been enlightened to the fact that any amount of time I spend with her is to be cherished.

Also, I figured I would provide a pic of the pretty girl all this fuss is over.

R.I.P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.