2 questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default 2 questions

do american show lines have more health problem than east and west german lines ? also, do all american show lines have the "frog leg look? tks all.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm far from an expert, but IME they are no less healthy when they come from a reputable breeder.
They also don't all have the "frog legs." One of my 2 best friends has an ASL male and he's healthy/lacks frog legs. Most of the more well-bred GSD's I met at the shows recently (all American lines) also lacked frog legs. (:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Health problems are the same...the angulation in the legs/hips has nothing to do with HD.

The frog legs thing still goes on but has gotten much much better. You'll still see a bad one once in a while at a show but its not nearly as bad as it used to be. Breeders and judges have wised up (probably due to the public). If you look up the winner of the nationals, who was also the group winner at westminster you'll see he moves very nicely and that dog is considered the best ASL dog in the country right now.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Showlines in my area are all closely related to frogs. They are so hard to watch.

I do believe that non american dogs have fewer health problems, but all lines can have issues. Best bet is to find a reputable breeder.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
do american show lines have more health problem than east and west german lines ? also, do all american show lines have the "frog leg look? tks all.
Ya know what, this is an irritable post designed to put down GSDs. I am into WGSLs, but it really doesn't matter. When you don't capitalize a proper noun, like American or German, that is a dig.

Then when you talk about "frog legs" on a site for GSDs, well, it is just a way to say, "Look at me. I have a better dog than those UGLY dogs." It usually indicates that the poster feels bad about themselves or their dog, so they want to put other dogs down so that they feel better about themselves or their own. At least MY dog doesn't look like that.

And I am appalled that other members played into it, I suppose at least one feels pretty self-conscience/bad about herself or her dogs too.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Ya know what, this is an irritable post designed to put down GSDs. I am into WGSLs, but it really doesn't matter. When you don't capitalize a proper noun, like American or German, that is a dig.

Then when you talk about "frog legs" on a site for GSDs, well, it is just a way to say, "Look at me. I have a better dog than those UGLY dogs." It usually indicates that the poster feels bad about themselves or their dog, so they want to put other dogs down so that they feel better about themselves or their own. At least MY dog doesn't look like that.

And I am appalled that other members played into it, I suppose at least one feels pretty self-conscience/bad about herself or her dogs too.
Actually....I believe he's asking because he's looking for a breeder to get a new puppy. Sometimes, a question is just a question because the person doesn't know the answer.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hunter - PM Andaka. There is another person on there with beautiful American Showline dogs. Fairy something. Can't think of her name but think "fairy" is in there somewhere.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Actually....I believe he's asking because he's looking for a breeder to get a new puppy. Sometimes, a question is just a question because the person doesn't know the answer.
Look, we have people on this site that have ALL types of GSDs. There are plenty of ways to ask about the angulation in the various lines without being rude. Anyone with half a brain would know they were going to tick some of the people off with statements like that. Frog legs, hump backs, coyotes -- those are descriptions that will get people's dander up, and with good reason. It is just so unnecessary.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a three and half year old ASL GSD. He has not had any health problems, his hips and elbows are perfect, he eats well, poops well, and has a gorgeous coat.

It's never a good idea to make broad generalizations about anything.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.